Upcoming Author Signing Events Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by trampledamage, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Isn't that in October? I can't imagine anybody knows yet.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm going to be appearing next month at Cecil Con, a small college convention in North East, MD. (Note: "North East" is actually the name of the town, not a direction.)

http://www.cecil-con.com/

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems there will be what DRGIII calls a "Star Trek Writers mini-con" on May 6th at Star Trek Original Series Set Tours in Ticonderoga, New York.

Currently scheduled writers: DRGIII, Keith R. A. DeCandido, Kevin Dilmore, Michael Jan Friedman, Dave Galanter, Bob Greenberger, Glenn Hauman, Bill Leisner, David Mack, Scott Pearson, Aaron Rosenberg, and Dayton Ward.

https://drgiii.com/news/2017/3/15/star-trek-tours-mini-con

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad I made arrangements to be there for Trekonderoga.

5. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

*tsk* We Brit writers never get invited to these things... :confused:

But if you would like to meet and chat with me and my esteemed colleague Una McCormack, I can tell you that we'll both be appearing at the Trek-On! event on August 19th, in Kings Langley in Hertfordshire. More details here. :bolian:

MadeIndescribable likes this.
  6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

If you want to fly all the way out there on your own dime, we'd love to have you both join us… ;)

Admiral Rex likes this.
  7. JJMiller

JJMiller Writer Red Shirt

There's a Star Trek Day event in Memphis -- event details here -- that I'll be speaking at this Saturday, April 8. They have a lot of stuff planned, worth a visit if you're in the area.

Following that I'll be at Star Wars Celebration in Florida; I'm signing with Barnes & Noble's booth Friday at 12:30 and Del Rey's Saturday at 3. I will also be running my own Star Wars University writing seminar Sunday at 12:30.

April concludes with me at Planet Comicon in Kansas City -- my first time there! Hope to have info about times and appearances on my website and Twitter shortly.

8. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This sounds great, I'll definitely have to check it out :D

9. The Original Series

The Original Series Lieutenant Red Shirt

Most airport terminal/ genre/dime-novels, such as those about Star Trek, Star Wars, or other licensed properties, are by either relatively mediocre talents, by young writers still trying to break in, or sometimes by established writers needing a paycheck, who often do a hack job on the book.

Some books are done by better writers who write better books. Of the 500-odd Trek novels over 80% are diddly-squat.

Your mileage may vary.

10. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ok, so I've read enough of your comments on other threads to understand where you're coming from (it was about 4) in that you don't like modern Trek books. I get that they won't be for everyone, even if I don't understand why you're being so vocal about it. Star Trek is about IDIC, right? Each to their own?

Therefore my question is why type this particular response to my comment on this thread. I'd be interested in meeting modern authors because I've read enough modern novels to really enjoy them, and recognise the talent that goes into making them, and it would be nice to shake their hands and say thank you. What did you hope your comment would achieve?

11. The Original Series

I write for my own pleasure and amusement.

Next question!

12. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Specifically, what novels did you actually read that weren't part of the TOS numbered line?

Idran likes this.
  13. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Warned for trolling.

Don't post simply to stir up trouble. Also as MadeIndescribable politely pointed out - this thread is about meeting the authors. Let's keep it to that.

Idran likes this.
  14. The Original Series

I thought you'd never ask!
    Federation. Vulcan's Forge. Shadows on the Sun. Best Destiny. The Lost Years. Sarek. Some others. Can't remember them all. Long, deep, thoughtful novels for adults. Well, as deep as genre novels can be.

The Original Series. You know, like "Star Trek".

Next!

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Next is stop posting about the books in this thread. This thread is for advertising events with the authors. The rest of this forum is for the books.

16. The Original Series

Oops! You're right!

17. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anyone know about San Diego comic con yet? Thanks!

18. The Original Series

It will be held in San Diego.

You're welcome!

19. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Tell me more. Will it be a comic con? And what Star Trek authors will appear?

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For local folks:

I'll be doing a reading and book signing at the Oxford Public Library in Oxford, Pennsylvania tomorrow night at 6:30 PM.

I'll be reading and signing my new book, THE LIBRARIANS AND THE MOTHER GOOSE CHASE.

Can't imagine people will fly across country for this event, but if you happen to be in Chester County . . . :)