Uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by PCz911, Sep 13, 2014.

1. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

In TOS they run around in what looks like a t-shirt. (discounting the miniskirts for the ladies)
    In TMP they have these tan or gray slender outfits
    And from TWok they wear outfits that look like surplus band uniforms.

Of the three, I have to say that TMP are my favorite. I could never fit my particular body type in one, mind you, but I think they look cool and futuristic.

The "band" uniforms were designed to hide the middle age (and beyond) bulges of the cast. Ok, I resemble that remark, but I really do not like them.

Anyone else care to weigh in? :confused:

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I've always liked the "monster maroons", although I think they would be more appropriate as a service dress uniform, rather than a day-to-day duty uniform.

I was never that much of a fan of the TMP uniforms. (Although Kirk's admiral's uniform was nice.)

3. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I prefer the TOS/Abrams uniforms. They were colorful and looked very comfortable. And I have my own gold Velour shirt and it's especially nice during the winter.

TMP: Those uniforms were bland. I don't so much mind the shirts, but I wish they had kept the pants at least black to have some separation. Had they did a series in those uniforms, They'd be laughed at.

I like the Monster Maroon's from TWOK through TUC, but they looked more like Dress Uniforms. I liked the Jacket and Vest outfit Kirk had on Regula 1. That was a good look.

4. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The TMP uniforms would be alright with a few tweaks. Not being pajama bottoms, and having at least a hint of the tan/red for division separation still evident.

I've never really liked the TWOK+ uniforms. I mean, they do look more professional in certain respects, but they deviate so far from the original series look that it just doesn't work for me.

The TOS uniforms generally work the best, even though they're fairly simplistic, I guess that idea actually works in their favor. Why make something overly complicated?

Personally, i'd love to see someone take the general setup of the TOS uniform and give it a bit of a Babylon 5 treatment. Just a couple pockets or nick-nacks of function to em. :)

5. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

I like the red overcoats, don't know why, just have a little soft spot for them. Maybe it looked more military?!

But other than that, the greys, gotta be the greys! They look so comfortable!

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I like the TMP uniforms exactly as they are. I think they were the most "realistic" uniforms for a futuristic space navy and I was glad they ditched the TOS color scheme.

The TWOK-TUC uniforms, IMO, represented a change of Starfleet policy that moved a bit away from exploration and put a greater emphasis towards defense & diplomacy and the uniforms reflected that. I liked the distinction between officers and enlisted during this era as it seemed Starfleet was very much channeling the Old British Navy. The officer uniforms might have seemed stuffy and maybe even impractical in the field, but there were more casual variant uniforms available for that.

I think the First Contact onwards uniforms finally got it "right" in the sense that they had a very unified look and could be worn anywhere. For more casual endeavors, one could merely unzip the undershirt collar & hike up the sleeves, turning them instantly into work coveralls.

7. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This would be how I'd prefer the TMP uniforms to look. It doesn't take away from the design but it keeps the TOS color scheme, but with desaturation to keep with the toned down colors. And of course blackening the pants and collar to keep some TOS uniform elements.
    [​IMG]

Deledrius, sbk1234 and Phoenix219 like this.
  8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the TMP uniforms, for the diversity that they offered. A bit of consistence as to what colours crewmembers wear would be nice--why some wear blue and others wear beige.

The TWOK uniforms definitely do seem a little impractical for day-to-day operations.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

These would have been great. Clearly updated to give it the TMP look and at the same time keeping the TOS elements that are so recognizable.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

There was a method to the madness! Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an explanation of the uniform color scheme Robert Fletcher devised for TMP. Whether they properly followed it on a daily basis while filming is another issue, but this was their intent.

11. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as diversity, the "hazard" suits in engineering were a good idea, along with the protective booth in the transporter room. It conveyed the idea that some areas of the ship weren't exactly safe.

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS: What's not to like? The S3 version was much better than the S1-2 velour, which was miles better than the two pilot versions. The miniskirts were ok, but pants would have been more practical.

TMP: Nah. Too bland. Too many variants. Make up your mind, already!

TWOK-TUC: Much better. The bomber jacket and Scotty's vest was a nice variant.

TNG: Meh. S1-2 version looked as uncomfortable as later confirmed. S3 forward was better, but having the zipper in the back had to be a pain. Troi's cheerleader uni was thumbs up. The catsuits? No thanks.

DS9/VOY: Not bad. Better than TNG.

STFC: Much better.

ST09/STID: Good, but the inconsistent neckline is distracting. The black "collar" would look better as part of the tunic, not showing from the undershirt. Other than that, they're fine. I like the updated look of the female uni from TOS.

What did I miss?

13. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Great versions of TMP uniforms!
    I am now convinced these are the best uniforms star trek had

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the transpoter room needed a splash shield. :lol:

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Too bad for all those guys operating it in TOS. They didn't want kids anyway.

16. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've often expressed my preference for the TMP uniforms as conceptually the strongest before or since. I don't like the TWOK "reboot" of uniforms at all. They are overblown, but mainly they seem like too drastic a break from what came before, re-inventing the rank system and all. The thing I really hate about them, though, is putting the enlisted personnel in uniforms radically different from officers. This was really done to re-use TMP jumpsuits, but it still sucks.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There's definitely a correlation between those rank pins and what came before in Trek, particularly with the ranks of lieutenant, commander, and captain.

18. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. Otherwise it would have been pieces of Sonak and Ciani dripping off Kirk's and Rand's faces. :barf:

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're talking about the "rungs" in the TWOK rank pins, I don't think so. The pins for lt. commander, commander and captain go 1, 2, 3, while the TOS stripes progression was 1.5, 2 and 2.5.

20. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's damn near perfect. Only thing i'd really change there is the PJ bottoms on the pants. I'd give the crew some proper separate footwear and not have that awkward hangover thing. I get what the general idea was at the time (the idea of the crew just materializing a new uniform in the morning or whatever) but it doesn't seem practical.