Uniform Favouritism

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by c0rnedfr0g, Jan 24, 2018.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

It seems like Janeway played favourites when she handed out Starfleet jumpsuits. I mean, why did all the Maquis get uniforms but Neelix, Kes, and Seven did not?

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Maquis had a command structure under Chakotay and Bells. (And probably Tuvok, but he turned out to be a spook.) He accepted for all of them, and their loyalty kept them to that line. There’s no command structure for the Delta recruits, and though Neelix likely would consider it, there’s also no starfleet history. Even for the Maquis, they are all Federation in their past, and the uniform forms a bond amongst the Alpha/Beta Quadrant races. Seven couldn’t have a uniform for medical reasons initially, and psychological ones also crop up...she’s just left a collective, she has to express individuality. Uniforms don’t do that by their nature.

3. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

Plus something something catsuit boobs something...

4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I hear some strange people quite liked Neelixes dad bod and moobs. To each their own.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  5. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Oh, derp. I just realized this exact topic was created like 2 wks ago. Nevermind

6. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

You could always ask a moderator to merge them if you thought it would be appropriate. On one of the other forums I visit, the easiest way to do that is to effectively "report" your own OP with the merge request as the reason. I don't know if that would be the best way here though, so it's up to you. :)

7. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, I'm thinkin' two reasons:

1.) Every "Star Trek" series, except maybe TOS and STD, must have one or two characters onboard who don't wear Starfleet uniforms, just to mix things up.

2.) Seven had to look sexy, Kes had to look girly and Neelix had to look goofy, all of which would certainly be possible with Starfleet uniforms, but for lazy writers it's easier if you can just give them stereotypical catsuits, pixie dresses and clown suits.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Every time they take a female character from her usual civvies and put her into a uniform she looks ten times better (Troi, Seven, and T'Pol all showed this to be true) so the only reason not to do it is simple objectification. Yes they have boobs, we can see that, but have them covered up for pity sake!

Six of Twelve and WarpTenLizard like this.
  9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Things could be different on board if Captain Jellico were to pay a visit. He wouldn't tolerate such casual fashion as clown suits, fancy dresses or tight suits :lol:

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I do wonder how VOY might've turned out, had they not made Janeway such a maternal figure but rather someone more like Jellico or Nechayev.

Kilana2 likes this.
  11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'd have gladly, GLADLY had a much better opinion of Seven in the standard jumpsuit, but with librarian glasses. Damn futuristic-perfect-vision.

Mark

12. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TBH, I love Seven's blue and earth-brown suits. But the putrid plum one, NO ONE can like that for any reason other than boobies. Which would be just as visible in something more dignifying.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure Neelix wears a uniform in every alternate future we see. He ends up part of Tuvok's security force.

I liked Tuvix's merged flowery patterned security uniform!

Seven looked amazing in a regular uni in "Relativity" but TPTB wanted her looking like Space Barbie.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marina Sirtis, Jeri Ryan and Jolene Blalock all looked much better when they wore Starfleet uniforms than they every did in those silly catsuits.

Six of Twelve and Horta like this.
  15. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Catsuits for everyone!

16. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe catsuits were attractive in the 90's. For me, there is one thing worse than a catsuit: a catsuit with high heels. Just having seven or troi in some slouch boots would be a 50% improvement.

Maybe those elf boots that Kira wore, before she traded them in for high heels.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  17. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I like variety. It would be boring if every character dressed the same. Even Kirk had that green shirt he wore from time to time.

I don't think the uniforms on Voyager and DS9 season 1-5 were very flattering on women. Jadzia looked much better in the tighter fitted one from Season 6-7. I agree about Troi looking better in uniform than the cat suit aerobics thing she wore.

I would not change Seven or T'Pol's outfits. They suited them.

marlboro likes this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is why we like him.

Kilana2 and GNDN18 like this.