Uncharted 4 delayed til Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RoJoHen, Mar 24, 2015.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/11/8190105/uncharted-4-delayed-to-spring-2016

On the one hand, I'm glad they're taking their time. Nobody likes a rushed game (I think Assassin's Creed: Unity taught us that). On the other hand, Booooooooooo!!!

My two most anticipated games were Arkham Knight, which was supposed to come out last October and still hasn't been released, and Uncharted 4, which never had a definitive release date other than "sometime in 2015," but now even that isn't true.

Now, I believe these studios know what they're doing. Maybe these new generation consoles are proving to be a little more overwhelming to design games for than previously expected. While the wait is annoying, this actually fills me with excitement because there is so much potential for these new games to be extra awesome.

So far I've been pretty underwhelmed with the PS4 library, but I wonder if that's because the early games didn't take full advantage of the system's capabilities.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd rather they take the time to do it right rather than rushing to get it out. Knowing Naughty Dog, I'm sure they're doing the right thing as it's hard to be disappointed by them.

Also, early games almost never look as good as later games, so I find that to be a given. It will only be a matter of time before games really start harnessing the full potential. Currently there have been a lot of cross-generational games, and I think soon devs will be able to devote their full potential on the current gen and we'll start to see better stuff.

3. Dexter Remmick

Dexter Remmick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I feel for you lot that stay current in the industry. It's a bummer when news like this drops.
    I am 2-3 years away from the current gen. So I am not disappointed by the news.

I trust in ND to do right by their title(s). Though I was disappointed with the last outing in the series, I believe they have
    some tricks up their sleeves. They should be allowed to work on their own timetable.

I hope they put UC aside for the remained of the gen and begin work on an all new IP. After all, security breeds stagnation.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was disappointed as well when I played it the first time, but I have since replayed it...twice, actually...and had a great time with it. I just think UC2 was such a phenomenal game that its sequel had a bit too much to live up to.

UC4 is intended to be the final game of the series. I would love to see what new universe Naughty Dog has coming up next!

5. Dexter Remmick

The same way TLoU was intended to be a stand alone title with no sequel ;). I'll believe it when I don't see it.
    -
    Where would you like them to take things? Personally my dream would be for them to take the reigns of an all new Star Wars IP with full autonomy.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Is this actually happening?

7. Dexter Remmick

Last I heard/read it was. Though it's been put on a bit of a hold so they can focus on UC4.

8. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I agree. It had big shoes to fill, that's for sure. I think taking that into consideration, it did fairly well for what it set out to do. But I still stand that the ending felt rushed. I loved the setup, but what it came down to in the end was a disappointment, plus I didn't like that it all came down to a QTE. The end-setting sure was pretty though.

Is it just me or did Marlowe look and talk like Helen Mirren? Almost like they had designed her in the hopes of getting her as voice talent.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree with you about the ending. I enjoyed the hell out of the game until the final few sequences. I mean, you don't even get to kill Marlowe or stop her plan yourself; it all happens in cutaway shots!

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

The OP is not really "current", the delay was announced weeks ago.

11. Owain Taggart

Yeah, total bummer! It's as if they ran out of time to develop gameplay and instead decided to hide the ending behind a QTE. I felt robbed, because as you say you don't even really get to do anything. It just sort of happens and ends before you know it. I actually liked the challenge from Uncharted 2, and I understand there are those that don't, but I was fully expecting more of a struggle. Instead I felt like it was practically given to me without a fight. And then I kept wondering if that really was the end or if there was more to it. Felt a tad too anticlimactic.