[UK mostly] Advice on buying a MacBook pro using student discount

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kpnuts, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience buying something using the education discount on the online store. Particularly those from the UK.

I was considering asking my friend, who is at university, to buy me a Macbook Pro. I understand that he needs to do it from a networked computer at the university and this is no problem... but I was just wondering if there was anything I should be made aware of...

- Are any checks performed to double check the recipient is a student? Apart from needing to order it from a campus uni?

- What about the warranty, if say I need to take it into a Genius bar, the person behind the counter won't know that it's a student version will he? Will I need ID?

- Does OS X come with some sort of Student version?

I'm planning on asking him to order the laptop with my Apple ID. I hope this isn't a problem?

Thanks all, I'd appreciate any help, thoughts etc. Anyone done this before?

2. Kpnuts

Anyone?

3. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I bought my iMac using the HE discount (14%, I think).

They didn't ask for verification at the time beyond it only being possible to order on a university network computer. I think they do occasionally ask for verification - a scan of a student card etc?

If you order from the HE store, AppleCare works slightly differently. The warranty is longer by default I think (3 years standard? CHECK THIS!), and instead you can pay approx £60 for uplift services. I don't believe there's any requirement for ID on servicing however - after all, people can have their computer long after they graduate.

OSX is the same for everyone. You'll get Snow Leopard either pre-installed or on an accompanying disc. Some software will be discounted or licensed specially (notably Office 2008 does have a Home & Student edition).

4. Kpnuts

Ok thanks, I don't think I'm going to bother with Apple Care to be honest, the laptop is covered for the first year after I buy it anyway.

Ordering it on a university network isn't a problem, I was just worried they'd ask for some kind of ID, either when ordering, or if say, I need to take it in to get repaired etc

5. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

It might even be three. I think the HE agreement may cover that. It's on their order T&C page somewhere.

The former is more likely. Didn't happen to me but I do think it happens sometimes.

6. Kpnuts

Oh ok from reports it doesn't look like they ask for ID when ordering online only that you're logged in via the uni network.

One other question, I'll be looking to get the free iPod touch. I understand that I need to pay for it first, then Apple will give me the money back at a later date. Will I need to show any student ID for this?

7. Bloodwhiner

Bloodwhiner Commodore Commodore

Using the online education store will be enough. They perform no secondary checks. My wife bought a macbook last year and got the touch; while she is a teacher and the purchase was legit there was no checkback done.

Go into an Apple store and you will need proof to get the discount.

However, check on Apple refurbs - Apple gives you exactly the same warrenty as they do on new Macs.