UK BBC One(?!) To Air Star Trek soon?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dac, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The Trekkie girls posted this on facebook, although their source is a BBC Journo on Twitter:

Source: https://twitter.com/sallcoll

(Specific tweet: https://twitter.com/sallcoll/status/272472055893614593 )

So, yeah. Either someone is seriously mistaken (which considering how she has reiterated the point multiple times, I would hope not) or the BBC are seriously going to air Star Trek of some kind (Enterprise? Probably not but who knows) in prime time on the most watched television channel in the UK. Could it be Enterprise in HD? TOS HD? SyFy have started airing TNG in HD, but considering the fuss they made over it I would imagine they have it exclusively. In any case, ANY non-UK made show airing on BBC 1 is a big deal, even bigger if Its Sci Fi (the only SciFi show I can think of that BBC one has aired is Doctor Who) and even bigger for us if It's Star Trek of any kind.

This is by no means confirmed as fact, but this one source has been rather consistent with her blabbing over it being a done deal. Regardless of what Trek they decide to air, if they air Trek at all on the BBC, it's a big deal and would expose it to a much wider audience than it would have otherwise been seen by in many, many years.

So what do you guys think? Single crazy person, or possible done deal?

I guess we'll find out in 9 days...

2. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Sounds like a mistake to me. It's far more likely that a old Trek show would air on something like BBC Three or even BBC Two.

3. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

BBC One generally airs brand new British stuff, and movies. I can't see how a Star Trek would fit in with their kind of programming. BBC Two, on the other hand, might show it but again it mostly shows new American programs rather than old. I think the source is mistaken.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Not a chance it'll be on BBC 1 - but I could certainly see it airing on BBC 3.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine if the BBC got a licence to make their own version of Star Trek...

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Can't see it on BBC One, BBC Two however is a different story.

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Hmm, judging by her most recent tweet - possibly a documentary?

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

More likely they've picked up the rights to the movies from C4...

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Certainly won't be on BBC1.

The Beeb always puts Trek on BBC2 because its a minority genre. And at 6pm because its a kids show...

10. Lonemagpie

Looking at the later Tweets, Richard Westcott (of Radio 1 and others), was photographed on the TOS bridge - or a repro thereof - wear convention passes, so I guess it's been a doco or something shot at Star Trek London last month, definitely not an airing of the series.

https://twitter.com/sallcoll/status/272622423491354624/photo/1

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well they did have a mock-up of the TOS bridge at DSTL.

As for Sci-Fi being a minority genre and a kids show and therefore relegated to BBC Two, DW also fufils those criteria yet takes pride of place as one of BBC Ones Flagship shows airing in a prime slot on Saturday.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Primetime FAMILY slot, before the grownups settle down to watch Strictly...

13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Did Voyager's final years air on BBC2? I remember DS9 was shown all the way to the end.

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Double-bills of Remastered TOS and ENT on a BBC channel would actually make me deliriously happy.

Obviously when they're done, move onto TNG which will be completely HD by then.

Like others, I doubt BBC One though. That channel hasn't shown Star Trek since the 1970s, filling in after Troughton left Doctor Who and in between each of Jon Pertwee's seasons (as I understand it).

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I highly doubt BBC One will air a Trek series at all too, it's just this Sally Collard seems very adamant about it being on BBC1. Which makes me believe its going to be a documentary of some kind as opposed to a regular airing of reruns.

16. Gagh

Gagh Commodore Commodore

The only way I could imagine it on BBC1 was in a 2am slot on a Friday or Saturday.

17. Lonemagpie

Actually I could just about see that if they were making a thing out of putting such a pop-culture legend into the Sign Zone

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could do that now. CBS wouldn't let them slap the Star Trek label on it, but CBS doesn't own the concept of space opera with a quasi-military twist. They could appropriate a lot of Star Trek tropes before venturing anywhere near copyright infringement territory.

19. ChristopherPike

The BBC have Blake's Seven to remake of course... which was basically Star Trek turned on its head.

An evil Federation versus a band of mercenaries come freedom fighters, who used to teleport down from their ship - the Liberator!

Although I think BSkyB were looking to do that once, and didn't get very far...

20. ChristopherPike

Turns out to be just a BBC journalist, a wee-bit too publicity minded about their own special report on some regional news programme.

I thought it was too good to be true. I mean, it isn't the 90s anymore...

Stand down from yellow alert.