Ugliest Starships!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Red Ranger, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    People,

I'm sure there are plenty of varying opinions on this but am curious as to whether there are any unanimous opinions on this topic.

So which ships to you are ugly as sin, from any series or movie?

IMHO, the ugliest ship has to be the Stargazer. The saucer section looks like a cake pan, the placement of the four nacelles appears ungainly -- it just screams ugly to me.

I also thought the merchant ship in TSFS was a horrid-looking vessel.

Honorabe mention goes to the Galaxy-class Enterprise-D, only because I never liked the swan-like neck and the saucer section appear too large when compared to the engineering hull and nacelles below.

Have at it!

Red Ranger

2. THE_FETT

THE_FETT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You said it. Enterprise D is the ugliest ship I ever saw. Not only the swan-neck to saucer and swan-wings to nacelles, the saucer is way too bloated and ungainly. The unsightly use of clashing neon colors with the overabundance of too-large windows, makes it look like a red, white and blue Christmas tree. And when it does the goofy saucer separation, it gets even worse.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

- The Earth Alliance ships from Babylon 5. Absolutely no sense of style; they look like unfinished Erector Set projects.

- The Daedalus-class starship from Trek. I *hate* that globular primary hull.

- Serenity from FF.

4. Mr. Fergy

Mr. Fergy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Those are foul!

To me the Daedalus Class is absolutely the foulest thing ever built by Starfleet.

5. The Mule

The Mule Commodore Commodore

the Ambassador class, as it was finally realized as a studio minature, was just blah. Probert's original concept was much better, filling the requesite "mid-step" between Excelsior and Galaxy while still having some grace to it. infact, i'd even say the initial concept was even better than the Galaxy (which looks like someone sat on it)

the Constellation had a kind of quirky, pug-like charm to me, although i can see where someone would not like it.

but really, the the Voyager just seemed off to me. the tiny warp nacelles left the ship front-heavy, and when the ship landed on the surface of a planet (a cool idea) the ship looked like a duck.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^
    ^^ I LOVE the Daedalus design!

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Ditto, and I'll add the New Orleans Class

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The Norway class. Blech. Fortunately, the digital file of that design was lost, so we never had to see it curse our screens after its brief appearance in FC.

Honorable mention to the Sabre class as well. Several of the FC ships rank up there as the best looking designs, but on a few the designers were having an off day. :eek:

9. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Sorry to nitpick, Babaganoosh, and I guess I should have been clearer, but I really meant starships from the ST universe. If we included every SF show, we'd have many more entries for "ugliest starship," you know! -- RR

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are the obvious kitbash ones, like the half-Intrepid/half-Peregrine Yeager class.

However, I do have to say that I like the New Orleans class. Granted, the engineering section could be a bit streamlined, but I like it.

The Intrepid class is a fine vessel, but on certain angles when viewed from the front, it looks like a Chinese hat with earrings.

11. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the Enterprise J

Relativity

Prometheus

Voyager

pretty much all kitbashes are rubbish (though some do look pretty cool, but not many)

12. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugliest hastey (and obvious) kitbash: Stargazer. They absolutley should have used a Constitution class for that episode, dammit.

Ugliest carefully planned ship: Defiant. Looks like a damn waffle iron.

Ugliest "upgrade:" Enterprise-B. I had just gotten to like the Excelsior's looks when somebody decided to glue a bunch of stupid shit onto it.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I used to really hate the USS Curry (that weird Excelsior/Miranda kitbash from DS9's "A Time To Stand") but now I think I like it. I can still see why some fanon has labelled it a Shelley-class starship, though, 'cos it does have some Frankenstein elements to it. :lol:

Other ugly ships from Trek:

- The Breen ships from DS9

- That weird looking Borg ship which Lore's followers used in "Descent" (TNG)

(Both of the above ships aren't ugly *only* because they're asymmetrical, although that is a big part of it)

15. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Defiant from DS9, it looks like a badger.

16. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

It looks likes the front of my Time Warner remote control. I still like it though.

The Shelliak ship, and that ship from Haven are ugly ships.

The Galaxy only really looks bad without its saucer.

Other ugly trek ships:
    1. Miranda Class
    2. Daedalus Class
    3. Hope (Olympic) Class
    4. Kazon Ships (All of them.)
    There are more but those are the top.

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

As a newbie, could I ask a favor? Either post a pic of the "____"-class ship or post a link to one (whenever possible). I have absolutely no idea what most of these ships look like... at least by class name. Is there a thread with pics of them?
    When I was building models (in the caveman days before CG, which I still don't know how to do...) the Enterprise-D was awful to build, because while it had more detail than previous kits, it was off-balance... the saucer portion was too large and too heavy for the rest of the ship... took me forever to figure out how to hang the thing without it going bow-down on me.
    The old Botony Bay ship was ugly! Even the model had zero detailing on it.

18. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enterprise D. Somehow, it looks as if it were carved out of stone.

19. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Updated mine. The first pic is the Miranda class. And if you look to left you can see the Defiant. The next pick is Soyuz class.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Anthony Sabre... that really helps.
    P.S.- I actually like Voyager... the balance looks better and more sleek than Ent-D. I also think the Ent-E is also a vast improvement over the Ent-D.
    Even though I know the overall design makes an ST ship instantly recognizable by even non-fans, it's not really a practical design. I always thought that having the nacelles way out there on those pylons showed that they were scared to death of an exploding engine or something.
    Although the nose looks like crap, overall I love the design of the Defiant.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.