U.S.S. Babylon

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by nicholasm, Jul 27, 2020.

1. nicholasm

nicholasm Lieutenant Red Shirt

This quarantine has given me time to work on a few designs I've been putting off, and I feel I've improved a fair bit. The U.S.S. Babylon is a massive mobile embassy that I like to imagine was riddled with engineering issues due to being too big for the contemporary tech. The bridge's turbolift is behind the camera in the images I have of it.
    The NNC registry refers to a diplomatic craft, and isn't a mistake I took way too long to notice.
    The thing in the center of the bridge is a holographic generator. Since the one of the U.S.S. Enterprise was never seen, I have no idea of how the first generation of holocomm generators looked. I don't know if it comes across, but all the workstations on the bridge are touchscreen, with open windows being outlined in a high contrast color.
    Looking at it now that it's done, I realize I took some inspiration from the PK carrier from Farscape.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

werdegast, Ar-Pharazon, Cyfa and 3 others like this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The cut out areas on the saucer seems like a huge amount of wasted space.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  3. nicholasm

You're definitely right. I don't know if I managed to capture it, but the goal of the design was luxury and such a wasteful use of space seemed like the best way to show that.
    The other reason it's a ring and not a saucer is that I was trying to differentiate it from just a kitbashed Starship-class. I could probably find a way to make it work, though.

Ar-Pharazon, Rekkert and BillJ like this.
  4. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

You know I like it :) Great work mate!

I have never thought of Negative space as a waste of space, but rather I've look at it for several reasons, not least of all just artistic choice... But it could also be use for swappable options, better cloak efficiency, a harder target, less mass to move... many reasons.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Cyfa likes this.
  5. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's also something to be said for delicacy and beauty and it shows off your fleet's Engineering skills to have something so delicate that gets put through a ton of use.

I like it.

Cyfa likes this.
  6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm curious about a viewing gallery around the bridge and the thought behind it. Seems a little odd to me.

7. nicholasm

The upper level of the bridge is a hold-over from an older version where it had additional banks of consoles. Would you suggest I reinsert the consoles or maybe some chairs? The walkway is about twelve feet deep, so there's probably plenty of room for either.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah ok, I was just wondering what the purpose was.

As an embassy I can't see much need for a second level of consoles (maybe if she were a huge carrier or mobile command platform), and I'm not sure if a seating area would have much use--fairly certain the captain and bridge crew wouldn't appreciate an ambassador or their staff watching over them from on high :lol: