Tyson vs Jones Jr. Exhibition

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mojochi, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit when I 1st learned of this, I was interested. Tyson at 54, looks fantastic in the gym, but the result was...sad really. Just a show fight, & even that was more than Jones Jr. could manage.

While Tyson looked almost as good as he once had, even walking to the ring Jones looked like a battered old guy, who ended up fleeing Tyson, or holding him as much as possible (Despite the "Draw" decision)

What nobody's saying is why there's an obvious disparity. Tyson fought his 58 fights, over 15 years between 1985-2005, forty of them between '85-'90. All total, the man only fought 215 rounds in his life, the vast majority of those no one even touched him. So it's no surprise really that at 54 he can still get in very convincing fighting shape. He's a virtually undamaged former super athlete

Compare that to Jones Jr. fighting straight through his 75 bouts from 1989-2018. All tolled he fought 495 ROUNDS. That's at the high end for most (modern) boxers. Any of them that fight 500 rounds or more pay a hefty price. Ali fought 548, & it crippled him. So yeah, Jones Jr? not a guy who should be in the ring anymore, period, & was painful to watch, for anyone who has a clue. :sigh: