Typhon Pact.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I understand it, the original plan was to put out 6 book dealing with the pacts so why was it decided to change that to four?

Also, did the writers get to pick who they wanted to write about?

2. David R. George III

David R. George III Writer Fleet Captain

^ The decision to go from six books to four was an editorial decision, and it is not my place to speak for the editor.

As for the writers picking who they wanted to write about, I can only speak for myself and the process. I was specifically approached to pen the Romulan novel, which would necessarily include Spock. At some point, the editor had meetings with the four writers and we discussed the overall project, as well as our individual assignments. During those meetings, I asked if I could include the Tzenkethi in my novel, as well Ben Sisko. After some basic agreements among the writers (thanks, David Mack!) about who would use which characters, I was given the go-ahead. I was then asked by the editor to accomplish two goals within the novel (which I subsequently did), but the main plot and themes of Rough Beasts of Empire are all my own (with editorial consent, of course).

3. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume this is an attempt to finally publish the long-rumoured Sisko-on-the-Okinawa-versus-the-Tzenkethi story originally planned as a "Lost Era" project, yes?

4. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Any hints on what's going on with the DS9 cast?

5. David R. George III

That's not really the case. I never knew anything of the oft-discussed Lost Era novel featuring Sisko on the Okinawa during the last Federation-Tzenkethi war, other than hearing those rumors myself. I did see an opportunity to craft a new alien race, albeit one that had been mentioned a number of times onscreen. I knew that many fans had expectations of what the Tzenkethi would be like, and I liked the challenge of defying those expectations, while at the same time attempting to satisfy my audience; it remains to be seen to what degree I've succeeded. I also wanted to return to Deep Space Nine in some way, given that I've penned three DSN novels already (The 34th Rule, Twilight, and Olympus Descending) and enjoyed working with those characters. As I've said, though, Rough Beasts of Empire is not truly a DSN novel, though it does feature Ben Sisko in a significant role.

I've seen some speculation in these parts that the cover image of Sisko on Rough Beasts means that the tale necessarily must contain flashbacks to Sisko's years aboard Okinawa, since he is shown with hair atop his head and no goatee. I can categorically state that Sisko's depiction on the cover has nothing to do with his years aboard Okinawa or fighting the Tzenkethi. I mean, he's not even in uniform.

Hints? Where's the fun in that?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The fun is in giving cryptic hints that just obfuscate the matter further.

...At least, it's fun for the writer. :evil:

7. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

You people are unbelievable... :lol:

8. David R. George III

Are you including me? But I didn't tease you at all. Nary a hint did I strew your way. That would be cheating.

Or maybe you're just not asking the right questions...

Happy reading!

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Sisko the only DS9 character in the book?

10. David R. George III

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, That's all I wanted to know. Knowing that, I can easily wait the week and a half to find out who else is in the book

12. ares93

Oh, the questions are being asked, all right. But the answers are more cryptic than anything that comes out of the ENIGMA machine. :nyah:

No offense, mate. But if this isn't teasing, God knows what it.

FYI: Careful, mate. Joking about killing Spock is heresy. :mad:

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Maybe if someone killed Spock, it would finally take some attention away from the Janeway bitching :lol:

14. David R. George III

All I can say is: KSWRP TCQRG OHHGS GLEXO PHCAC SWM. (GNHJY ESHNB KWCQD QCIB?) OXEAW FAMNI XXTOZ SCAEM SEI.
    I'm genuinely not attempting to tease. And I'm certainly not suggesting that I do kill Spock--or that I don't. I'm just saying, make no assumptions.

15. ares93

I hope you know that my classmates father is cryptographer, so I'll find a meaning in that sooner or later. :p

I know that, I'm just messing with you. :techman:

You didn't take offense or anything, did you?

16. David R. George III

^ Nah....was just messing with you back.

And rest assured, what appears as gibberish in my previous posting is, in fact, an encoded message. There are two clues for decoding it on this page: one from you, and one from me. Good luck.

Of course, the decoded message won't actually reveal anything, so don't kill yourself making an effort at decryption.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, if this is a substitution cipher, it seems you made it trickier by concealing the word lengths, breaking it up into blocks of five letters. The odds of there being three sentences in a row where every word is five letters long except the last are extremely remote, and I can't think of any English word (other than the given name Lloyd) that fits the pattern of "XXTOZ."

18. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Aaron would also fit that, though it'd be unlikely that "O" would be itself in such a substitution -- but I gotta say using one letter for itself would be a fun way to throwing a monkey wrench in they way people think of ciphers like that.

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The key is in the clues. Télapó's was fairly apparent, but DRG's is a tricky one to find, at least for me.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Uhura? Hoshi? Where are they when you need 'em?