TWOK "I'm delighted, any chance to go aboard the Enterprise..."

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by OpenMaw, Dec 16, 2015.

1. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sulu seems to be cut off mid sentence when on the travel pod in Wrath of Khan. I was wondering if that full scene was ever released on Bluray as a deleted scene or if the scripted scene is anywhere to read? It's pretty obvious he says something more, but they had to haphazardly cut it out for whatever reason?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I never got the impression that he said anything more.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Oh, there's more. It was edited out.

SULU
    (embarrassed)
    I am delighted; any chance to go
    aboard Enterprise, however briefly,
    is always an excuse for nostalgia.

KIRK
    I cut your new orders personally. By
    the end of the month, you'll have your
    first command: USS EXCELSIOR.

SULU
    Thank you, sir. I've looked
    forward to this for a long time.

KIRK
    You've earned it.
    But I'm still
    grateful to have you at the helm
    for three weeks. I don't believe
    these kids can steer.​

Now, George Takei claims Shatner deliberately "sabataage"d the scene, but I have the audio from the workprint—which includes this exchange—and Shatner's line delivery is fine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Qonundrum and Pineapples101 like this.
  4. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, that's rather interesting. I had a feeling there was something...

Well, if not Shatner's ego, then I wonder why they would have cut it? Just extraneous to the story?

5. Maurice

Extraneous. And, I gather Meyer wasn't keen on Takei's acting.

6. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Sulu being on Excelsior after TWOK and during III sure would've reshaped III in some radical ways.

Qonundrum and somebuddyX like this.
  7. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    It sure would. I'm sure Admiral Kirk would be all too happy to order Captain Sulu to ferry him and Dr. McCoy on an urgent top-secret radio-silent mission (wink wink, nudge nudge) to the Mutara Sector.

Given Excelsior's speed, it might even have had a chance to save the Grissom from destruction.

I'd be very curious to see how they'd handle the ending of IV though. Assuming the Excelsior went back in time and picked up George and Gracie, it seems unlikely Starfleet would credit Kirk specifically with saving the planet, and equally unlikely they'd "reward" him with a new Enterprise.

I think this would have been a great setup to segue into a Captain Sulu series instead of TNG, but it makes you wonder what they'd do for the next two movies... Maybe we would have seen the Academy story that Harve Bennett had been pitching at the time.

8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Without the need to steal the Enterprise, the charges against Kirk and crew would be much less severe. Plus they wouldn't need to give him a new ship, demote him to captain and give him the Old Enterprise back, as it was never destroyed at Genesis.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Is this audio clip something that can be shared? I'm genuinely curious to hear it.

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind that the "Excelsior" mentioned in this cut scene was not the same thing as the Excelsior as seen in TSFS. At this point in time it was just a random, insignificant ship that Sulu was going to command. They just re-used the name for the new transwarp prototype for the next film, and the fact that Sulu ended up in command of it by TUC really had nothing to do with this scene, AFAIK.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  11. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

The first scene in Star Trek 6 stars George Takei. He couldn't have hated his acting that much ;)

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Maybe he changed his mind in the nine years between those two movies.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the same scene, anyway.

---

Regarding the purportedly possible use of Excelsior in TSFS, sounds like dullsville compared to what we got.

14. Maurice

You forget that Lenny was an Executive Producer, and that they obviously wanted the whole gang back for the final mission/25th anniversary movie. In fact, by putting Sulu on the Excelsior he's absent for big chunks of the movie.

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Which, I believe, was a Martin Davis call resulting from his torpedoing of Bennett's Starfleet Academy project.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could it have been something that Shatner did wrong visually which blew the scene? Standing on the wrong mark, fidgeting, looking bored and disinterested, adjusting with his toupée, etc etc. ;) He could have read the line well enough, but his overall performance in the scene might have lacked something? If he had played it like Kirk really couldn't care less about Sulu, despite what the dialogue says, then that might've been due cause for cutting the scene.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The idea that Shatner would blow a scene in order to keep Takei's character from getting promoted is utterly preposterous.

18. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While do I agree that Takei's claim seems a little.... implausible.... Shatner himself doesn't actually deny doing it (although *he* claims an alturistic motive for blowing the scene, in that Enterprise was the hero ship of the franchise, so in Shatner's view George was unwittingly writing himself out of future sequels.)

It's a debate that will rage on. Probably long after both actors are dust. :guffaw:

19. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Trust me.... I haven't forgotten that Leonard Nimoy was an executive producer on the film. If it wasn't for him, the film probably would never have been made.

I have read Nicholas Meyer's book, and he is very open about the actors and their performances in it. Nowhere does he ever criticize George Takei's acting abilities. What he does say about Shatner is this:

I think this is probably where the truth lies with the Excelsior scene. The dialogue that you have heard may have sounded good to the ear, but Shatner might not have been able to sell the scene with his face and body language. With the two actors appearing in the same shot together, Takei may have been great in a few takes, but not as good in the rest. It could very much be that their timing was off with each other, and no take looked believable on film.

20. Maurice

Why does it have to be some ulterior reason? Why can't it be like so many other dialog trims in the movie: because it was deemed unnecessary?

And, re Meyer's opinion of Takei's acting...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015