TWOK: Horror movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by A beaker full of death, Jun 23, 2007.

1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

TWOK is basically an action/adventure movie, but it has scenes that would be right at home in any horror movie (aided by Horner's wonderful, suspenseful music).

Think of the tense, erie scene of Kirk, McCoy and Saavik exploring the space station... until McCoy runs head-first into a corpse!

or...

Chekov's reaction to seeing the Botany Bay seatbelt, and hr and Terrel flee only to run into...

or...

Khan's, slow, dramatic unmasking... all the way through those mysterious, brain-eating slugs...

Any others? Any comments?

2. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

A rat on a space station...

... grumble.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I've always thought some of it was distinctly horror, right down to the heavy use of red.

Kirk wanting to see how badly they've been hurt, then Scotty emerges from the turbolift with Preston.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

-

What,it should have deserted ?

5. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

It makes sense that Space Lab Regula 1 would have space lab rats.

Neil

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I have never noticed a rat in TWOK ... :confused:

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, they were Carol's lab rats, escaping when Khan's people invaded. The rat in the scene is not a wild brown rat.

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Oh, THAT rat ... now I remember ... yes, I found that a little strange. That's probably why my subconciousness decided to forget about it. The lab rat theory could be an explanation, though.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Creepy... this, and the rat...

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And some still say, that even to this day, every year, the same thread will mysteriously reappear...(maniacal laughter)

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Script: "Rounding a corner, he (BONES MCCOY) starts: A RAT scuttles right in front of him. Bones sighs with relief and moves forward. We think he's safe..."

IIRC, De Kelley improvised a line here, "I'm with you!" (ie, the rats are deserting the sinking ship) during filming, and Vonda McIntryre used it, too:

Novelization: "He caught his breath: a scratching noise, a faint beep from his tricorder. He turned slowly.

"A white lab rat, free in the hallway, blinked at him from a dim corne, scrabbled around, and fled, it's claws slipping on the tiles.

"'I'm with you friend,' McCoy muttered."

14. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't worry about the rat.

At least it wasn't the traditional cheap shock cut of a cat jumping out of a box....

Tony

15. Doomsday

Doomsday Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since he was never able to take over the world, Brain got a cameo, trying to take over Regula 1.

...Narf!

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever shock the rat was to take our minds off of was totally negated by Nicholas Meyer having De Kelley walking verrrry slowly backward as the doors closed. Did anyone think Bones wasn't about to bump into a dead body?

17. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

I could swear I remember McCoy saying that during my first viewing of TWOK back in the 80's. It's been bugging me ever since then, on subsequent broadcasts and the DVD's it's not longer there. I always had a feeling something like that was cut, but wasn't sure. Why did they cut it anyway ?

18. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I saw the film several times in the theatre.. That line was never there.

I did think the scene was pretty horror show.

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

ROTFLMAO!
    Brain (seeing Genesis Device): Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?
    Pinky: I don't know, Brain. If a Vulcan did engage a Pakled in a battle of tridimensional chess, who'd get bored first?
    Brain: Be quiet, Pinky, or I shall have to hurt you...

20. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

You know sometimes I think I'm from a parallel universe with these things or some bugger keeps changing history and somehow I'm retaining these things ;).

I believe you didn't see that clip in the theatre, but my first viewing was on TV and I remember McCoy raising his eyebrows as he delivered the line and as a kid I found it funny. Was there a special extended TV edition made for it's first broadcast in the UK ? I know that after that first viewing it was never shown again. Maybe my mind is messing with me, past memories do alter slightly over time and I did read the novel back in the early 90's. Could be how I saw him say the line in my imagination - it's possible. . . yeah, that could be it.