Twin Peaks Season 3 (Revival) Discussion / Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, May 6, 2017.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Diane, We are a very short wait until finally getting back to the weirdest town in television history. Feast your eyes on this new teaser:

Has anyone been rewatching in anticipation of May 21st at 9/8c? I rewatched last year so everything is a little fuzzy but never before was I so engaged with all the characters, not just some of them. Also, Fire Walk With Me is so brilliant, and at the same time I kind of understand why people hated it. From what I can interpret, Laura Palmer (her ghost?) and Agent Cooper have been "stuck" in the Black Lodge for 25 years.

Season one is very short and totally entertaining. Season two meanders a bit and there is a lot of weirdness but it's all great as a whole. For anyone revisiting the series since the debut in the early 1990s, I personally think it's held up pretty well over the years and broke ground for a lot of shows that are on today.

"Old habits die hard... just about as hard as I want those eggs."

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I watched it for the first time last year and instantly fell in love. I agree, season two would have benefited from less episodes but it's still great. Have to rewatch FWWM, when I saw it I had quite a few cocktails in me already and that definately didn't help.;)

lurok likes this.
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Second two would have benefited from less network interference. Fortunately season three doesn't have any. :)

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Can't wait.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I keep meaning to finally watch the show....I guess I better get to it!

6. JirinPanthosa

Well, too early to say whether the show is a success or not, but very good start. They didn't spend a lot of time in the town of Twin Peaks yet, just enough to show us who of our old friends are still around. Looks like Ben Horn survived the fire poker and James Hurley came back. I barely recognized that woman as Shelley, only confirmed when her name showed up in the credits. Machden Amick aged a lot better than anyone else in the cast.

No word on Donna or Audrey yet. I'm pretty sure Bobby's a big factor in the show just because I happened to see some episode counts on the IMDB page but he didn't show up in the premiere.

Also it seems Garland Briggs is alive even though Don Davis is dead. Will be interesting to see if they recast him, and if they recast Donna.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only had a chance to watch the 1st two episodes (3 and 4 are up and streaming). Loved it. Loved the darker tone. Loved seeing some old friends. Lynch went in a different direction than I expected and I loved feeling surprised.

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't recall where we left off at the end of S2, but I was thoroughly confused last night. :lol:

9. JirinPanthosa

They're putting 3 and 4 up a week before they air or they leaked?

Season 2 ended with Cooper getting trapped in the Black Lodge, replaced by a doppelgänger Bob. Now 25 years later, the planets are in alignment again and he has an escape opportunity because Cooperbob is supposed to be drawn back in.

The scenes of Twin Peaks were presented as mundane and undramatic, as if to tell us without Cooper and Bob's murders life returned to normal. The log told Hawk to go back out to the circle of trees where the entry to the lodge appears.

There is a glass box suspended in air which seems to serve as the exit to the lodge, and Cooper's failed escape seems to have been fatal to the uninformed fornicating watchers.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I got the impression that Cooper's appearance in the box happened while they were out by the elevator, looking for the security guard.
    I thought it was something else that came through later, when they were on the couch, that attacked them.

11. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Ok, 20 minutes in and I'm lost, I'll stop here and rewatch the last eps of season 2 and FWWM, otherwise I think I might miss a lot of the fun.

12. JirinPanthosa

Also no word on Annie's fate. She was reportedly alive at the end of the series but appeared to Laura in FWWM seeming to be dead. It's unfortunately likely that the Evil Cooper did away with her shortly after his escape.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I don't think this is the right forum.

14. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah no need to watch the entire series again but checking out the movie and last episode make things easier to follow for sure. More the movie I think.

15. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Twin Peaks is its own genre. :lol:

16. JirinPanthosa

So I was thinking about the giant's clues.

Remember Richard and Linda
    Two birds with one stone

My father reminded me Lynch is really into music and there's Richard and Linda Thompson. Now, most famous album of Richard and Linda Thompson is Shoot Out The Lights. Various scenes, like the butler hanging up the phone when Cooper was shot before the giant first appeared and other scenes in Fire Walk With Me imply that something about the demons relates to power lines.

My theory, these hints describe a method of killing Bob. At a particular time, kill Anticoop in a particular place with no power lines as a means of escape.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I saw the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Electrical lines seemed to play a part.

Remember--he was pursued by the statue--the doppleganger Arm--that also had a gaping mouth. That came in the box after Cooper's starfall. That's my thinking. The giant (perhaps a manifestation of Tawil At-U'mr or Umr at-Tawil?) said something along the lines of plain speaking will come.

The Black Lodge is something likes E-space . Or Coppers Great White Space. Maybe the Ultimate Gate

I expect a rending of the red veils

18. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this! Confusing, but I expect nothing less, particularly since the current era of tv is the perfect time for TWIN PEAKS to return.

19. JirinPanthosa

So apparently Bob avoided returning to the Black Lodge by creating a Cooper-homonculous that the magic would mistake for him. And now, his doom meter is off the charts.

Is Harry Truman going to appear in this show or did they bring in a brother so they could recast him without recasting him?

Interesting choice to end each episode with a performance at the road house. They've went to lengths to make life in Twin Peaks seem more mundane and less melodramatic so far this season. I wonder if they're ramping out to move the action to the town of Twin Peaks and ramp the melodrama back up. Most of the scenes in Twin Peaks have conspicuously had no music, then when Bobby sees Laura's picture the music starts up, which makes me think thematically the return of Cooper will reignite the melodrama and we'll see less natural lighting and more background music.

They seem to be heavily implying that Wally's biological father is Richard Tremaine, so maybe the first sniff of reigniting melodrama there.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  20. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael Ontkean retired from acting years ago, and isn't going to appear... as far as I have seen or heard.

Regarding Robert Forster being cast as his brother, I discovered that he was actually originally cast as Sheriff Harry S. Truman. Scheduling issues put Michael Ontkean in that role.

And the psychologist Gordon was talking about... I never thought of it during the original run of the series, but what if it's Diane he was referring to? Cooper was always sending tapes of his thoughts and observations to Diane, and even though there were several times that it looked like she was his secretary... like when he requested earplugs when those guys from Iceland came to the Great Northern... she might also have been his therapist. Diane might have been assigned to him to help him recover from the events of Caroline.