TV Ratings (Thursday 24th April)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jax, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

-Total Viewers:
    CBS: 14.41 million, ABC: 12.33, Fox: 8.64, NBC: 6.53, CW: 2.91

-Adults 18-49:
    ABC: 4.8 rating/13 share, CBS: 4.0/11, NBC: 2.9/8, Fox: 2.3/6, CW: 1.2/3

CBS

ABC

FOX

NBC

CW

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So ER came in a poor third against Without A Trace and Lost. Not a bad rating for Lost; I thought it would tank at 10 PM.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Winners...
    Honorable Mention...
    Decent...
    Losers...

Round-Up...

CBS and ABC enjoyed a good night with a win each for the total viewers & 18-49 demo but there was some concern for ABC. Ugly Betty returned with below average numbers, mainly in the demo and while the show will come back for a 3rd season I suspect the show will struggle to get a 4th.

Lost returned with an amazing episode though the 10pm slot still sucks and can someone tell me how the hell more people would prefer to LOST than Grey's Anatomy. FOX had a decent night with a 2 hour run of Are You Smarter but the network was not its normally demo powerhouse self.

NBC decided to muck up its night, by first relocating Scrubs, which is the only show on that night, which is capable of taking advantage of The Office fanbase and producing a good lead out demo result. My Name is Earl and 30 Rock are lost causes IMO and the only reason Scrubs was moved was because with it leaving the network, NBC are desperate to try and kick some life into 30 Rock but it will not happen, EVER and trying to run Scrubs into the ground before ABC gets it next season is a cheap shot by the peacock network.

Smallville may be fading but it does god work for CW but I still suspect a sharp drop next year below 3 million by the end. Supernatural had a terrible return and its lucky that its already been renewed for a 4th season.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Smallville has performed well this year for a show in its seventh season. It looks like its average first run viewership will drop by about 7-8% in comparison to the sixth season.

Next season may be a different story, though, given the cast changes and what will reportedly be a significantly reduced budget (the CW being very strapped for cash). The ratings may well suffer a sharper decline. The eighth season is highly likely to be the last in my opinion, and I actually wish the show would wrap up at the end of this season and go out on a high note.

Very good return numbers for Lost, and pretty ugly ones for Supernatural.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bet the DVR numbers for Lost bump it back up to 15M. The networks can shift shows all over the schedule, people will watch them when they choose anyway.

Lost takes work and demands you pay attention. Not everyone wants to work to watch a TV show. They come home from a hard day's work and want to turn off their brains.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not after the cliffhanger that we got last month.

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess no one likes comedy on Thursdays. :lol:

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Thursdays on NBC isn't exactly Must See TV anymore.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried taping 30 Rock at the usual time and got Scrubs. :p Seems like a likable cast but, urg...not for me.

Bouncing things around the schedule can't be good for ratings...my motive to bother hunting up 30 Rock is marginal as it is.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

NBC would be best to return Scrubs back to its normal slot and be happy with the big 18-49 demo it brings normally. Then next season NBC really needs to hope one of its commisoned pilots bring in much needed viewers.

My Name is Earl and 30 Rock has been picked up for new seasons but should END next season. NBC need to re-build Thursday Nights and for me the future would look brighter with...

8pm - The I.T Crowd (U.S Version)
    8:30pm - (Another new show)

9pm - The Office
    9:30pm - The Office spinoff

11. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, since Scrubs is ditching for ABC... I imagine NBC just doesn't care anymore. They just don't want to waste the episodes.

Oh, still, I guess this is a case where counter programming just doesn't work. People want to see people cry and whine and do whatever they do in dramas. :)

12. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also like trying to compare apples and oranges. Both shows rely on two completely different demographics and writing styles. Besides, dramatic soaps have always done well, despite the snobbery that some people show toward them. Look at the huge popularity of Dallas or Dynasty. The numbers don't lie. Someone is watching it (and I would bet money that some of the snobs do to but refuse to admit it).

But I am thrilled "Lost" is still pulling in the numbers it does. That just means to me that smart well-written shows can survive on network television.