Contest: ENTER TV & Media Avatar Contest: Indigenous Peoples' Day

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Oct 10, 2021.

1. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) If You Want it Premium Member

In honor of Indigenous Peoples' Day being celebrated on October 11, the theme of the contest is media about or by the Indigenous people of the Americas.
    The usual avatar rules apply: 200 x 200 pixels, max file size 1 MB, and please keep it safe for work.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow I can't let them know it's all for show Moderator

I haven't seen this film (it is just being commercially released now), but I certainly intend to. It has generated a lot of buzz here in Canada. It was written and directed by Danis Goulet, a Cree-Métis woman originally from Saskatchewan. The movie is a dystopian sci-fi take on the horrors of the residential school system.

[​IMG]
    Night Raiders

You didn't specifically mention whether SF&F was acceptable, so if this doesn't qualify, please let me know. Also, I'm not sure how many entries we get?

Here is the trailer, if anyone is interested.

3. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

SF&F is fine. Enter all you want.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  4. Kai to the World

Kai to the World Admiral Admiral

Also going with a Canadian production, although a TV show; Tribal is a police procedural that started early last year and will this month finally see the start of its second season. Created by Métis-Cree writer and producer Ron E. Scott, and produced by his production company Prairie Dog Film + Television, it stars Jessica Matten, also of the Métis-Cree, as Chief Sam Woodburn of the newly integrated Tribal Police Force, being partnered (in classic buddy-cop fashion) with an initially racist white veteran cop Det. Chuck Bukansky (played by Brian Markinson).

[​IMG]

And I'll also take the opportunity to feature the trailers for both season 1:

And the upcoming season 2:

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Smoke Signals.
    Young Native American man Thomas is a nerd in his reservation, wearing oversize glasses and telling everyone stories no-one wants to hear. His parents died in a fire in 1976, and Thomas was saved by Arnold. Arnold soon left his family (and his tough son Victor), and Victor hasn't seen his father for 10 years. When Victor hears Arnold has died, Thomas offers him funding for the trip to get Arnold's remains, but only if Thomas can also go with him. Thomas and Victor hit the road.

6. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Any idea where one can (legally) find this in the U.S.? Looks like a great show.

7. Kai to the World

It is, but I'm afraid I'm not aware of whether (and if so, how) it is released in the U.S.

8. cardinal biggles

I haven't been able to find it so far. I used the "contact us" link on the show's website to ask, so hopefully I'll get an answer. Maybe they've got something in the works with Netflix or Acorn.

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow I can't let them know it's all for show Moderator

Their site seems to indicate that season 1 should be available on APTN's streaming service, APTN Lumi. I can't find a definitive answer online as to whether that service is available in the US or not, but it might be worth checking out.

I agree that the show looks good, and I hope to be able to check it out too! (Thanks @Kaiju "the spy" !)

10. cardinal biggles

I tried to sign up for the free trial, and it only gives you one option for a country: Canada. So I'm guessing not. :(

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Indian Horse, which is currently on Netflix. Probably one of the most important movies right now, given the core subject is residential schooling.

[​IMG]

12. Kai to the World

Not doing another entry, but I wanted to share something I found on YT a while ago, the Native American Comedy Slam hosted by Charlie Hill, featuring several Indigenous American stand-up comedians. It's split into several videos, I'll embed the first part featuring the great Howie Miller here, the rest will probably pop-up as links at the end (you know how YouTube works):

auntiehill likes this.
  13. Kai to the World

It's been two weeks, I don't think we'll see any more entries.

14. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Yeah, gonna set up the contest.

15. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)