Contest: ENTER TV & Media Avatar Contest: Got Game?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Avro Arrow, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hollywood has been adapting games into movies for a while now. Some of them have been bad (like Doom, Battleship, Wing Commander, Pixels, etc.), but some of them have been good (like... um, well, this is embarrassing... little help?*).

But this contest isn't about the adaptions that already exist. The theme of this contest is game adaptations that you'd like to see! Your entry should be any game that you would like to see adapted into either a movie or a television series. It can be any type of game: video game, tabletop/board game, role playing game, even a card game, if you think it could be successfully adapted! You can enter a game that has already been adapted in some form, if you would like to see a better version, or a version in a different form. (But your entry should feature the game itself, not the prior adaptation.)

Usual avatar rules apply: maximum image size of 200 x 200 pixels, maximum file size of 1 MB, and of course must be SFW. You may enter up to two avatars. Contest will be open for about a week.

I'll get the ball rolling with some entries. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "gamer", but I have dabbled from time to time, and there are a couple franchises that I really enjoy that I think would be ripe for adaptation:

[​IMG]
    - Mass Effect. This needs to be a television series. The worldbuilding in this franchise could support an ongoing series easily. There was a prior adaptation for this: an animated movie called Mass Effect: Paragon Lost. But it needs to be an ongoing show, and needs to be live-action.

[​IMG]
    - Fallout. This post-apocalyptic franchise also has some fairly extensive worldbuilding to draw on, and would make a great ongoing television series. I don't think it has ever been adapted before; although I recall reading that a movie had been planned at one point, and a treatment written, but nothing ever came of it.

So let's see what games you would like to see as shows or movies! To inspire you, here's the trailer of a classic game-based movie... Minesweeper: The Movie!

Have fun! :techman:

* Yes, yes, Wreck-It Ralph was good, but it wasn't based on a real game...

2. Avro Arrow

OK, this one was obviously a major bomb. My apologies.

I will leave it open till Sunday as per the original plan. If we get any entries, then great, I'll post a poll on Sunday. But if not, we'll close the book on this one and try again.

In the meantime, please feel free to share your opinion on how to handle it if there are no other entries. Should I just declare myself the winner and pick another (hopefully more popular theme?) Or should I hand it over to the first runner-up from the last contest?

Again, sorry this one doesn't seem to be working out. I thought there were a fair number of "cinematic" games, across many genres, that would allow for many different choices for entries.

Oh, and BTW, I did think of an answer to my question about good adaptations in the OP: Steins;Gate. I keep forgetting it was actually a game first.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Oh, shit, I'm sorry. I'm not much of a gamer, so there was no immediate idea. I wanted to check some lists to see if there was a game that sounded like good movie premises to me, but I guess it was a case of "Out of Sight, Out of Mind".

I could still do that, I guess, but seeing as not even the gamers around here came up with something, I don't know if it'll do much help at this point. If nobody else enters, if you have another idea for a theme, I'd say go for it.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  4. Avro Arrow

OK, time to put this one out of its misery.

Sorry this one was such a flop. Watch for a new (hopefully better?) one soon.

ETA: Time to report to base and receive your next avatar contest assignment.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If you'd made it about adaptations that already exist PLUS ones we'd like to see, you would probably have had a ton of entries.

The most obvious one I can think of is the Clue movie. And there's a Count of Monte Cristo computer game (not to mention all the movie adaptations made).

I would have entered this contest as it stood, since I do have a favorite computer game that I'd love to see made into a movie.

So please try again, as I have some ideas that would definitely fit. It's a disappointment this contest didn't run (since I have no idea what to do for the replacement).

6. Avro Arrow

I seem to recall that we had already done one about adaptations that already exist, so I was just trying to do something a little different.

Sorry, but with the lacklustre response this one got, I don't think I would personally re-attempt it any time soon.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If it was a long enough time ago, there shouldn't be a problem. Themes do get recycled sometimes.

Funny. My board games-themed contest in Miscellaneous garnered a respectable number of entries.

I can think of a dozen entries that would have fit this contest, one or two of which I was really looking forward to entering.

Oh, well. Next time I host one of these contests (being optimistic that I will get another chance some day), I'll figure out a theme that will let me use it.

Avro Arrow likes this.