Contest: ENTER TV&M Avatar Contest: Resurrections!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Avro Arrow, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

No, not resurrections of people, but resurrections of entertainment properties!

For this contest, our theme will be entertainment properties that have "returned from the dead", or more appropriately, been revived after a period of dormancy. Your entry can be from any movie or television series (or comic or video game, if you wish), that has produced an instalment many years after the last entry came to an end. I don't have a specific timeframe in mind, but I'm thinking it should be at least five years. The new instalment can be a continuation/revival, a sequel/prequel, or even a reboot.

Standard avatar contest rules apply: image must be no larger than 200 x 200 pixels and 1 MB, and must be SFW. SF&F is allowed. Each entrant may submit up to two avatars. Please identify your entry. The contest will be open for about a week.

If the revival kicks off a series of movies, then your entry should be from the first movie post-dormancy only. (For a TV series, the image can be from any episode in the new iteration of the series, just to make things easier.) For an example, in Star Trek terms, The Motion Picture would be eligible (although just barely), and none of the other original TOS movies or TNG movies would be. Star Trek in 2009 would not be eligible, since it hadn't been five years since Enterprise went off the air. The Next Generation would not be eligible, since the original series movies were active at the time, and Discovery would not be eligible, since Beyond came out only the year before.

Here are my entries:

[​IMG]
    Dexter: New Blood, a sequel limited series that came out in 2021, eight years after the original series ended.

[​IMG]
    Murphy Brown, which released a season 11 in 2018, 20 years after the final episode of season 10 aired.

(Just as an aside: I came up with this theme before even realizing that next weekend was Easter, but I guess that makes the "resurrection" idea a sort of thematic tie-in to the holiday. Serendipity!)

Have fun! :techman:

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    DC's "Shazam!" #1 from 1973, first appearance of "The Original Captain Marvel" in 20 years

dupersuper and Avro Arrow like this.
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Avengers #4 first appearance of Captain America since 1954

4. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

The X Files (Season 10 premiered in 2016, 14 years after the 9th season ended in 2002):
    [​IMG]

5. vandevere

vandevere Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Twin Peaks: The Return

[​IMG]

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Ezgif.com is NOT a hosting site; it's only a place to edit your pictures. Try postimage, HERE. It's free and you don't have to sign up for anything.

8. vandevere

vandevere Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Twin Peaks The return

[​IMG]

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bloom County, back and soon(?) to be a Fox cartoon:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  10. the G-man

Han Solo from TFW
    [​IMG]
    About ten years post RotS

auntiehill and Kai "the spy" like this.
  11. Avro Arrow

Sorry, but much like in my example that Star Trek (2009) wasn't eligible because Enterprise ended less than five years previously, The Force Awakens isn't eligible because The Clone Wars ended (at least at the time) only the year before.

There is one Star Wars movie that I believe would be eligible, if you'd like to enter that one.

12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Mission: Impossible (1988), TV revival after fifteen years without new episodes.

Vanyel, auntiehill and Avro Arrow like this.
  13. the G-man

Predated by Strange Tales #114 the same year.

14. the G-man

[​IMG]
    Um, yeah. I think I'll just avoid anything Trek or SW for this contest, but thanks.

15. the G-man

[​IMG]
    Battlestar Galactica. 2003 miniseries, followed by 2004 series. First TV show or movie since 1980ish

16. Avro Arrow

So, my familiarity with comic book super heroes is next to nil. So I turned to the font of all human knowledge, Wikipedia, and they had this to say:

So it sounds like the character in Strange Tales 114 wasn't "really" Captain America. I realize it's an unusual situation and there are arguments either way, but I'm content with letting @Nerys Myk 's entry stand as-is.

Although now I'm wishing I had picked a topic that didn't require quite so much research! :lol:

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I knew someone would bring up that story. :lol:

18. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

[​IMG]

The Addams Family (1991) last seen on TV in a 1977 TV movie. The movie ignited a brief revival on TV.

19. Avro Arrow

Last call! Poll will go up tomorrow evening!

20. Avro Arrow