Tuvok cut from special edition ST6?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by misskim86, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could swear I saw him in this movie serving tea to Sulu in the beginning. But I just saw the special edition today on DVD and the movie starts with Sulu already haveing a cup of tea? Is this moment somewhere else in the movie or did they cut it? If so why?

2. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

You're thinking of the Voyager episode "Flashback", which takes place in Tuvok's (apparently somewhat dodgy) memories of the events of ST6 and recreates and expands some scenes from that film. Tuvok was never in the original film (he wouldn't even be created for another few years).

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. Tim Russ's first and only appearance in a Star Trek film was in the next one, Star Trek: Generations, where he played a human officer on the Excelsior's sister ship, the Enterprise-B. Tuvok's presence on the Excelsior herself was a retcon in "Flashback" so VOY could make a TOS tribute.

4. misskim86

But I swear on my old VHS copy recorded from TV I saw him serving the cup of tea although in the movie you just see him for like 1 second placing the cup of tea on the table and he didn't have the pointy ears, basicly he wasn't "Tuvok" but it fit really good with the Voy episode

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, Kegek, Tim Russ was a background bridge officer on the Enterprise-A in Star Trek VI.

6. Kegek

Really? Well I'll be damned. Anyone have screencaps pointing him out?

7. misskim86

No it was on the Excelsior and he places the cup of tea on Sulus table. I'll try and get screencaps with my cellphone or something -.-

8. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^

Sorry, but you misremember.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

misskim86, maybe this will help -

http://imdb.com/name/nm0750913/

- Tim Russ's IMDB page. He is not credited at all for Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

But, as has been pointed out, the character of Tuvok was retconned into the events of Star Trek VI in the Star Trek: Voyager episode 'Flashback', which was, along with DS9 'Trials and Tribble-ations', a tribute to Star Trek's anniversary.

Even if you could get screencaps with your cellphone, the 'caps would have to come from the VOY episode, not the TOS movie.

10. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

Odo_ital is right. Tim never was in ST VI. He played a (human) background bridge officer on the Enterprise B in "Generations" and he did those bridge scenes on the Excelsior with Sulu in the VOY-ep "Flashback".

That's where the confusion comes from. Many people remember seeing Tim wearing the red movie uniform in one of the movies and they also remember Tuvok with Sulu, so they assume he must have been in TUC when he really was in "Generations".

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...To recap, Sulu is not served any tea in the movie. Rather, his teacup is already on his table as the movie opens.

In contrast, the VOY episode "Flashback" has a scene that pretends to be an "extended version" of the movie scene, in which Tuvok indeed serves this very cup of tea.

So yes, the scene exists, and Tuvok is in it, but no, it never was part of the TOS movie - just of the VOY episode.

(And whether Tuvok ever "really" served tea to Sulu is an open question, considering that Tuvok was stark raving mad when he had this vision of being Sulu's butler.)

Timo Saloniemi

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, you're definitely thinking of "Generations". ;)

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  13. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, he was the guy in the spacesuit, waving to the departing Enterprise in TMP. That wasn't him in TWOK, though.

14. Sisu

Sisu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ lol

15. Kegek

Thanks, Therin. Considering how often I've seen TUC and noticed all kinds of things, (the clock that just doesn't bother to stay right) that one caught me a little offguard.

Ha!

16. Allyn Gibson

No, Ian, I'm definitely thinking of Star Trek VI.

At the time of "Flashback" Tim Russ was interviewed on Entertainment Tonight, and he mentioned that he's one of the bridge extras on the Enterprise-A. In some of the wide shots he can be seen in the cadet-style jumpsuit uniform near the Master Situation panel.

I'd pull my DVD and give you timestamps, but I have no idea where it is at the moment.

He was a non-speaking extra. Extras aren't credited. Hence, no IMDb listing.

But he is there.

Colbtron likes this.
  17. Timo

18. Allyn Gibson

Those hotlinks don't work.

19. Timo

Strange. I have no problem with them - they are to TrekCore, to images 0220 and 0341 in the TUC folder, respectively. You can go there directly to have a look.

Timo Saloniemi

20. Sisu

Sisu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Neither of them look like Russ, Timo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.