'Tron: Legacy' team mount a 'Black Hole' remake

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

'Tron: Legacy' team mount a 'Black Hole' remake

I am so stoked for this one, as I am with Tron: Legacy. Is anybody else?

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Meh, that was my ambition. So much for that, then.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well, it could hardly be much worse than the original...could it?

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I'd like to see how this one turns out before determining if I want to see the team tackle The Black Hole as well. A remake is all but inevitable these days for any half-way recognizable title 20-30 years old.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This is the part that encourages me:
    The original film actually deserves a lot of credit for its scientific accuracy, up to a point. The screenwriters clearly did their research. The depictions of weightlessness were excellent, there was some credible science alluded to in the dialogue, and it was the first film to represent a black hole with an accretion disk (though it made the error of putting an accretion disk around a solitary black hole rather than one in a binary system -- where was the material for the disk coming from with only empty space around it? -- and this error has been slavishly imitated in every subsequent film and TV depiction of black holes ever). There were some conceptual and visual liberties taken, but it wasn't until the finale that it went off the rails into fantasy.

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Being nine when it first came out and seeing the black hole look like a galaxy, EVERY TIME I saw a depcition of a galaxy after that, I assumed it was a BH.

I HATED that.

7. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I'm looking forward to this remake, the first one for all its flaws and wild ending is strangely watchable and the atmosphere and setting is fabulous.

I suppose it would be too much to expect John Barry to come out of retirement and reprise his wonderful score though.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's always THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE.

9. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I must have watched that 25 times when I was a kid. They really could do a good job with a new version, and talking animal movies still bring in big bucks.

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Black Hole was a movie that kinda creeped me out as a kid. The crew being turned into the 'robots' with that weird machine icked me out.

11. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

THIRD BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

(And no, it's not sacred. It should be remade!)

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

How soon before someone says, "I want to remake Revenge of the Nerds IV. Not the first one; the fourth one only"?

13. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    The Black Hole is the best bad movie ever made! Doing a re-make of it is just as wrong as re-making a really good film! :)

14. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Ah, I'm not feeling it. Tron is one thing, but The Black Hole was basically a cash in on Star Wars by way of trampling all over Twenty Thousands Leagues Under The Sea. A remake would be more redundancy than I think I could handle. Throw in another thirty years of "inspiration", and this recipe could fit right into the disaster cookbook.

15. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

I think this a truly horrrible idea as a remake! Now, if I were to do this I would link it to the orginal with a causality loop. However we have too many novice out their re-inventing Shakespear and subplanting their blandness for brillance.

'Nuff said
    :klingon:

16. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

I think everyone was just too young to appreciate a good movie. I loved it. It was one of the best movies at the time. If they want to remake The Black Hole, it can only get better. Everyone said old BSG was dumb an campy now people can't stop talking about the new show and how much better it was than the old one.

One thing I have to agree on. They really have to bring back the music score. That was priceless.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Also the ending. We still have to see Reinhardt end up in hell.

Pity that the original actor probably wouldn't be up for reprising his role. (Is he still alive, BTW?) The ending of the original film was priceless just for the wordplay. Maximilian Schell ends up...in Maximilian's shell. :guffaw:

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

YES! They HAVE to bring back the original score, which was the best thing about that movie (although I do love the movie itself).

Yes, Maximilian Schell is still alive.

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am listening to THE BLACK HOLE score right now. As far a composer for the remake, I would go with David Arnold, who's done a good job evoking Berry with his Bond scores.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Why not simply use John Barry again? :techman: