News TRON 3 is back on!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Linky

What we know so far:

- Jared Leto being sought to star
    - Daft Punk will return to do the music

Don't know about the return of any previous characters, like Dillinger Jr. from Legacy (although Boxleitner once said that "Cillian Murphy doesn't do cameos"...make of that what you will), Alan, Ram's user, Sam, Quorra, etc.

Also no word on a plot.

But I guess this is...BEGINNING OF LINE ;)

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As excited as I am about the potential sequel being back on, I'm going to need a better source than some blogger. Unless DisInsider has proven to be reputable. I honestly have no idea since I've never heard of them until now.

I'll keep my fingers crossed as I've had since Tron: Legacy came out...but I'm highly skeptical considering Disney's track record on this franchise. I'm still bitter about how they treated Tron: Uprising.

JoseNoodles and Markonian like this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd love for this to happen, but I'm very skeptical right now.
    If it is true and Jared Leto is the star, I hope they at least bring back Garrett Headland, Olivia Wilde, and Cillian Murphy, they're stories really feel like they should continue after Legacy.

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. TrekMD

TrekMD Captain Captain

Well, at least I know the music will be cool. Curious to see where they go with this!

Markonian likes this.
  5. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

Exciting and looked forward to, if true!

Tron is by its nature very niche; it's hard to sell it to big companies. Tron Legacy, the Tron game, and Tron: Uprising...long shots. Beautiful, beautiful long shots.

And even if 3 sucks the OST will slap so there's that.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Wake me when the trailer drops. Until then, it's all just rumours and wishful thinking.

Markonian, The Nth Doctor and Imaus like this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand why all these movies are being announced... When will they be filmed? We're in a decade long worldwide pandemic that's ever worsening...

8. The Nth Doctor

Nothing has been announced. It's all rumors at this point.

9. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to see a 3rd movie. TRON Legacy was actually very good and underrated imo.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want to get to a point in this Covid crisis where TV and film productions can continue. This news is good, but like Strange New Worlds, I feel like it will be at least 2 or 3 years before any of this comes to fruition.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the... iffy press Leto amassed for Suicide Squad, I'm skeptical that Disney, especially the mainline studio, would hire him for such a high-budget project.

New Zealand's open for business; can always shoot there! :p

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ he's not exactly family-friendly...

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I had similar thoughts. I think it will be much easier existing tv shows to go back into production. They will have to make adjustments. But they have already established cast and crew to make those changes. Apples and Oranges but I have been working at my factory without shutdown this whole time. Essential workers major adjustment were made. Especially if cast and crew are quarantined outside of work.

But new shows and movies - you have setting up a new operation with new people PLUS new health and safety adjustments.

TV is aiming at at home viewing. New theatrical releases is a complete question mark right now.

Tron 3 is probably a rumor still. But I would be dubious of any new Hollywood films for theaters which are announced. Unless they are willing to sit on a huge stockpile of unleaded films until theaters are safe.

14. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Tron is where Star Trek 4 is at... Ohhh... nevermind..

16. The Nth Doctor

Well, I hadn't heard of Joseph Kosinski either but Tron: Legacy turned out pretty good (in my mind). Hell, same for Steven Lisberger. :p

That said, Deadline doesn't provide a source (Oh, they're the source? Meh.) so until Disney actually announces something, it's all rumors and hearsay as far as I'm concerned.

Markonian likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the directors Disney has picked for their big movies have done a good job, so I'm optimistic, if this happens.

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

The OP article says people want Daft Punk to return, but that they aren't officially attached in any way..

And this article at SYFY Wire says that Disney wants a reboot, NOT a continuation (a big mistake, IMHO), meaning that none of the original or Legacy stars would return.

While I know I'll see it, a reboot really doesn't interest me much. Legacy had its flaws, but it was a good movie with a solid story and set up sequel(s) beautifully. That and I loved the look and feel of the grid-world. I would hate to see that all scrapped.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there were a lot threads in Legacy that was really hoping we'd see followed up, with Qorra in the real world, and Dillinger Jr. being the two biggest.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I seem to recall that Dillinger Jr. was ...

supposed to be in cahoots with his father to take back control of ENCOM.