Trekmovie article about the Star Trek Discovery Premiere

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Unimatrix Q, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

2. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore liked it, too.

3. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So maybe all the negativity was overblown?

4. ralph

I'm very excited, optimistic. We created a channel on youtube, Trek Brasilis live stream, and we commented last night about the expectation of the premiere and we had wonderful feedback. The trekkers are excited in Brazil.

5. ralph

We still need reviews, but the first impression was positive.

6. Krandor

We'll get reviews in a few days.

7. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm a member of Star Fleet International, and I found most people in that organisation are excited about it. It's a good time now to be a Star Trek fan. Been reading some of the stuff from the premiere.

Oh, I want one of the costumes. Seriously thinking about getting one.

8. ralph

I don´t know if I am exaggerating, but I believe Star Trek is positioned to take off, again.

9. Krandor

Me too and partially due to aa. I could see them in the offseason of discovery doing miniseries about different fascists of trek (rogue one type stuff). And possibly even a second series because the longer they can keep people subscribed the more money they make.

Cbs has already done that with big brother by adding more cbsaa content after the summer season is done to keep them subscribed longer

Thefallguy and Blooded like this.
  10. ralph

Bryan Fuller's original anthology concept for Star Trek: Discovery. Who knows?

11. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I'm with SFC and we're the exact same. Even the grumpy ones are excited!

.....annoyingly I dont have time to finish my outfit for the next con. Well, not to the standard I'm happy with :/

12. Krandor

Would just need tin be set places they don't need lots of new sets or where dsc sets could be redresssed

13. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]
    But seriously, I'm happy to see these reactions. I'm sure not everyone will like it. I'm reasonably sure that some who are certain they won't like it will remain certain once they've seen it. I'm curious how many reactions will be from people who expected to like it but didn't.

MvRojo likes this.
  14. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

I think what was killing Star Trek around the turn of the millennium were two things; flagging production staff and over-saturation.

We had non-stop Trek from 1987-2005. That's 18 years of unbroken Trek and most of it produced by the same people. Of course there was overturn, and of course not literally everyone who was there for day one of creating TNG was there at the close of ENT, but the people who were working on ENT were like 90% people who had been around for a very long time and were just spinning their wheels. Rick Berman was a young go-getter who kept the ship sailing when he took over the franchise after Roddenberry's death. But well before ENT was created, I mean several years before, he had become an older, stodgier dinosaur who thought it was still the early 80's, or even late 70's.

DSC will breath new life into the franchise, and it's thanks to taking an extended break and coming back with newer writers with fresher ideas (I hope, and seem to have every reason to believe).

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Star Trek "died" because it had been riding a decade of bland mediocrity. It wasn't that there was too much of it--it was there was too much of it and none of it was particularly innovative or engaging.

But make no mistake, Discovery runs the same risk. It's a pretty safe bet to say "Discovery will be better than 90% of Star Trek." But what does that even mean? I say all the time that I think ST09's cold open is the best 12 minutes of Star Trek since season 1 of TOS. But is that really all that great of an accomplishment?

What matters is how it holds up to everything else.

The trap a lot of Trekkies - myself included - fall into is that good Trek automatically means good television, when that's rarely the case. Even now, I can still sit down for the random episode of Voyager or Enterprise and be entertained, but it's important to objectively recognize that that has as much to do with "because it's Star Trek" and that it isn't necessarily great--or even good--dramatic art.

The same will be true for Discovery. The only problem is, how it holds up against other content is so much more important now. "Television" (to whatever end the term no implies) is such a different animal than when even Enterprise was on. It's surpassed film as the primary cinematic medium. It's much bigger business than it used to be and the standards are way higher.

So Discovery can't just settle for being "great Star Trek." It has to be great television. Otherwise, 15 years from now, Burnham will be just as forgotten as Sisko.

16. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Yep. And that last sentence was due to the burn-out from everyone who worked on the show being ten, fifteen, twenty-year veterans. And those veterans were the ones demanding the newer writers with fresher ideas shut up and do things their way.

Actually I find that a lot of Trekkies seem to think that what works for most TV will not work if Trek does it. They want Trek to do what it always has: give us a ship, focus on the senior staff, captain's the lead, the others fall into various archetypes, then send them on episodic "problem-of-the-week" scenarios. VGR did that. ENT started off doing that. Trekkies said "geez, this again?" and tuned out. Now it seems like people are upset that DSC isn't doing that.

I agree with this. Part of why Star Trek hasn't been good television in years is because the people in charge refused to change. You point out that TV is an ever-evolving medium, but Trek refused to evolve with it. Berman, and others, seemed to think that doing it the same way they'd always done it was the key to success.

Ira Stephen Behr tried so hard to make DS9 good TV as well as good Trek, and what he produced was very, very good as far as story direction and character development, but at the same time he had die-hard Trekkers saying he was going against the spirit of Trek, and Berman wanted to do the exact opposite of what he was doing, blaming DS9's low ratings on Behr's different direction when the actual problem is that Paramount and Berman himself refused to promote it, focusing almost all their marketing power onto VGR.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Damnit...the Ensign beat me to it!!!!

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Popfunk has already released or will be releasing an official T-Shirt version, and I have a feeling Anovo will probably do one. Anovo doesn't have costumes up on their site yet, but they do have the DSC badges, and I doubt they'd do badges if they didn't plan on making something to put them on.

19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well those badges are made by QMx I believe, anovos is just another seller

20. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be overly negative?

Campe likes this.