TrekBBS chat google group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kelso, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
  2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Though I have a Google+ account I have found little use for it so far. However I have just joined the Trekbbs chat group.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just signed up with Google + and I thought this group was associated with Google +. Apparently, it's just another facet of google, kind of like what Yahoo has with their Yahoo groups. Because there is always a Google + thing and the facebook group, I don't know how much active I will be in this group, but I did join.

4. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. I joined ages ago, but don't really use my G+ account much anymore.

5. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

I don't use Google+ much but just joined this group.

I'd forgotten about the FB one and have just asked to join that one. I use FB more than Google+

6. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

I'm with everyone else... I have joined the group, but I hate Google+... it's mostly dead these days. :(

7. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like it's just another forum... is there a live chat?

As much as I would love a TrekBBS chat, after a few good tries (first on IRC quite successfully for awhile, and now on Facebook) it doesn't seem to be in the cards. It would really require the promotion of TrekBBS to keep a steady trickling of chatters :/.

Having said that, the Facebook Group has been a lot of fun so far. It's been a gathering point when the site goes down for some reason, and we hosted one organized chat.... I'm planning some more of these later on in conjunction w/ the major presidential debates.

8. Kelso

Apparently not. One area that facebook does much better than google is the group feature, apparently. A Google group is like a 90's message board and apparently is doesn't even link up with your google+ account.

Ah, well.

I still like the idea of filling a google+ circle with Trekkie friends, but the group idea kinda fizzled.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The problem with Facebook is that 90% of the people on it use their real ID. I'm not interested in talking to complete strangers without some kind of filter for the crazies.

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I decided on joining. Don't really look the chats much anymore.

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Why are you talking to me on there then?

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's my problem with Facebook as a whole. With Google+, it does seem like you can keep a real and online life separate. That doesn't seem to be the case on Facebook, which is why I hesitated joining the original Trekbbs chat group.

13. Kelso

That's the allure of google+ for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know a lot of online Trek fans through facebook, but I don't want to share every nerdy thought that runs through my brain with my co-workers, extended family, childhood friends, etc. On google+ it is much easier to keep all of that separated. Or vice versa. Plus, having everyone in a big pile sometimes makes it difficult to bitch about work, comment on politics, etc.

14. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

You can customise who sees each post or individual picture now on facebook. And you can sort people into groups of your own making, and select in one go who you'll share each item with. There are still a few loopholes to watch out for and I wouldn't trust them completely, but if you don't mind the occasional slip, it works just fine. Posts on your wall made by others still seem to be visible to your entire friends list which is a bit of a handicap.

It's made things a lot easier. I keep entirely separate accounts for close friends/family, and everyone else. As long as you're not abusing that privilege, I don't think Facebook really cares. If it means they get too keep a customer, and sell their personal info to the highest bidder, I don't think they feel too outraged by it. :D