Trek VI 25th anniversay

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Khan 2.0, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Today is the 25th anniversary of the 25th anniversary film!

wow.. dosnt feel that long ago was heading to the local SF store to buy the VI Starlog magazine, DC comic and PB novel..(VI didn't come out in UK until Feb 92 :( )

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Leto_II and Hippocrates Noah like this.
  2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

No it doesn't. I remember thinking how cool the klingon blood sequence was so soon after Terminator 2. Not without it's faults but still one of the best trek films IMO.

3. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

This is probably my favorite Trek film. Such a beautiful sendoff for the TOS crew. That last scene with the Kirk speech ("...where no one has gone before"), subtly passing the baton to TNG, the classic music swelling, and the 1701-A flying off into the sunset still makes me cry. It's like saying goodbye to your family. Ugh, getting choked up just thinking about it. lol

Leto_II likes this.
  4. Smellmet

It's certainly got it's emotional moments. I'd add Mr Scott proudly looking at the engines during the launch from Spacedock to that list. The entire last five minutes of the film I find to be emotional in fact.

Leto_II and Balok's Decoy like this.
  5. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    A great film. Loved every minute of it. I still remember standing in line -- which wrapped all the way around my hometown's cinema twice -- for the opening show. Of all the Trek films I've seen before or since, The Undiscovered Country was the only indisputable "blockbuster." It was showing on 3 screens, and the theater was packed for days (I know, because I went back probably 10 times that first week :rommie: -- ahh, to be young again with time and money...)

Leto_II and Balok's Decoy like this.
  6. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

Best Trek teaser trailer ever. Brilliant idea to use clips from the series and the movies!

Has anyone EVER seen a teaser/trailer for a theatrical movie that used clips from a TV series?

7. Hippocrates Noah

Hippocrates Noah Commander Red Shirt

Oh wow, I'll have to toss it in tonight. TUC was my introduction to Trek at age 11 and what made me into a fan. I only saw it because I was at the mall with my mom and her friend and they decided they wanted to see a movie, I didn't want to see it and Star Trek was the only thing starting at the same time. I went in expecting nothing except to kill some time and ended up a fan for the past 25 years and presumably for life.

Leto_II likes this.
  8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My third-favorite Trek movie, after Khan and the whales.

I remember seeing it with my girlfriend in Manhattan back in the day.

Was that really twenty-five years ago?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

A feeling made worse now that Mark Lenard, Deforest Kelley, Jimmy Doohan and Leonard Nimoy have all since passed on.

I remember this night 25 years ago. Shatner and Nimoy were appearing here in Sacramento at a special convention which was recorded on VHS as THE 25 YEAR MISSION, and VI came out. My best friend and I couldn't decide which to attend, but counting our money decided for us: we saw the movie, then headed to Denny's for dinner.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  10. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazing. It's half as old as the franchise.

Indysolo likes this.
  11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, it's the 25th anniversary of the 25th anniversary.

12. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I remember seeing this opening night in Moorestown, NJ. The print had the teaser for Alien 3 attached.

Neil

13. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When I went to see it, before the adverts and the trailers, they played the theme tunes to the previous five movies, one after another!
    Really helped to get you in the Star Trek mood!

14. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

The A3 teaser that had everyone thinking it would be set on earth lol (and be another actionfest like Aliens)

TOMFAN - lol at the VI Kirk with TOS hair avatar! :D

TOMFAN likes this.
  15. Smellmet

That's crazy. I regard it as one of the later Trek films, but it's really not.

16. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First Contact turned 20 a few weeks ago. Why does it seem impossible that those films are only separated by 5 years?

I saw it at an evening show on opening day. Then we had dinner and we said "Hey! We can see it AGAIN!" I know I went one more time that weekend. I may have gone twice.

Oh. Oh there were tears.

Who did we see again? Kirk. Spock. Scotty. Sulu. Chekov. Rand.

But we only ever saw Uhura again in Of Gods and Men.

And this was the last appearance of McCoy ever.

Excuse me... Something in my eye...

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I trudged through a blizzard, knee-deep in snow to see it on opening day (seriously!). It was the most anticipated ST movie for me at the time (after the letdown of STV), and of course I had butterflies because of it being the last time we'd see our TOS friends in action.

Rad likes this.
  18. Rad

Rad Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow... 25 years!

I loved this movie; I sat through it twice on opening day, and I think I took it in a few more times before it left the big screen. Emotional, energetic, adventurous... and bitter sweet that it was the last time we got to see the TOS crew together. DeForest passed away, shortly after it's release.

I remember enjoying how they "aged" the interior of the Enterprise; the smudged walls of galley and crew quarters, that the uniforms of the main crew had that worn, near thread-bare appearance. Just the ambiance of "It's time for us to retire" made the movie that much more memorable; that "once more, onto the breech"... vibe.

Dated - yes. It does not hold up well if you do not have some idea of the society in the 1990's, but still a good romp with our heroes.

19. Rad

Rad Lieutenant Red Shirt

That was at at time when Paramount was pushing to end the TOS franchise and capitalize on the TNG crew. We had that very... strange... Generations "bridge" movie that they pumped out quickly as TNG wrapped up production in 1994. "First Contact" was quickly commissioned to take advantage of the [waning] popularity of the franchise. FC did give it a much needed shot in the arm, but not enough to keep it alive under that leadership and hand.

I remember feeling how... small the story from "Insurrection" felt compared to the epic stories of all the preceding movies, and how, on first viewing, "Nemesis" felt disappointing (though I have come to love it on re-runs). By this time, Paramount was pulling the plug - "Enterprise" was conscripted for 4-seasons (PERIOD!) so they could get it into syndication. The Trek factory was being shut down.

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kelley passed away in 1999. Not quite "shortly" after its release.