Trek. Not Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Nov 22, 2007.

1. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Ever get that moment where you hear something associated with Star Trek, but your brain now associates it with something else.

If I hear 'Bones' I'm 50/50 with it being McCoy or the CSI: Lite TV series with David Boreanaz

If I hear Vash, the first thing I think of is Vash the Stampede from Trigun.

Anyone else?

2. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The word 'Trek' itself. I almost never use it in the sense of the actual meaning of the word, just the Star Trek product.

But then I'm not much of an outdoors person.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did a double take a while back when those action flix called 'The Transporter' we're heavily promoted.

Jeremy Clarkson seems to be a Star Trek fan. I watch the motoring show, Top Gear and he'll occasionally throw in the odd reference on the test track... My ears usually prick up instantly.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

He is indeed a fan - in Sunday's episode he referred to a car having "door handles from the Romulans..."

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

When I hear "Vash" I think of a French cow. And Monty Python.

Truly a poor choice of name for the girlfriend of a French starship captain.

6. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Even after all these years, the Enterprise is an aircraft carrier, not a starship.

7. KayArr

KayArr Commander Red Shirt

I know this isn't quite what you had in mind, but...Hated Dances With Wolves, but I'll always remember watching the scene in which the cavalry officer goes back to where he buried the guns at the start of the movie to dig them and give them to one side in a Native American war, and thinking "But that's against the Prime Directive!"

Here's another story. I'm sure that Kirk saying that Spock had used too much "LDS" in The Voyage Home rated a minor chuckle in most cities, but the audience in Salt Lake City just roared when I saw it there!

8. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I hear Trek, I'm just as likely to think of the bicycle manufacturer Trek. They built the bicycle Lance Armstong rode in the Tour de France. Greg LeMond designs bikes for them now.

9. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nutty! I mean, unless you served on it.

10. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not quite. I did make a model of the USS Enterprise CVN-65 back as a kid before the TV show started. Maybe that's why.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I see Spock nowadays I keep thinking he's a serial killer. Hopefully that will change. :wtf:

12. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only one I can say is that I didn't quite get why Dr. Spock was giving baby advice.

13. Elim

Elim Ensign Newbie

When I first saw there was a show called 'Bones', I was totally mad! :mad: I cried out "There's but one 'Bones' and that's McCoy and don't you taint his memory!"

Then I saw it was with David Boreanaz and I thought OMG, I really liked AtS, but that show could've lived without Angel for the last couple of years. I mean, look at him!
    But then his looks changed much in his favour and after a few shows I was hooked on 'Bones' (not because of David, but the whole team) and all's forgiven. :D

Darn, there are lots of Trek moments every day, but of course you don't remember, when the topic comes on. I'll try and remember to post it the next time I stumble upon one. ;)

14. CMO_Bev_Crusher

CMO_Bev_Crusher Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have a tendency when I am trying to tell someone something, and lose my train of thought I will replace "I forgot what I was saying" with "Star Trek" My brother hates it. I think that might be why I do it all the time.

15. Elim

Elim Ensign Newbie

Whenever I see broccoli... remember the "nice" guy Barcley? Ugh!