Trek Books for Kindle

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by terpette, Jan 6, 2011.

1. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone! I'm back! :)

I got a Kindle for Yule and I'm trying not to go too nuts buying books. Anyone have recommendations for the best deals on Trek e-books?

Also, I wanted to point out to our author contingent... some of the book prices set for the Kindle are the same as the dead tree copies. Not all, but the current MM paperbacks are the same price, and that bugs me. E-books should be cheaper. I'll certainly buy more of them if I just have to download something instantly instead of driving the 20 miles to my nearest Borders!

Karen

2. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I received a new K3 for Christmas as well and love it. I'm on my third TrekLit ebook since Christmas. I'm working on the DS9 relaunch currently. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your as my wife and I get out of ours (plural, you can't share ebook readers!)

Maybe the authors can pass your comment on prices on up the food chain but just telling the authors doesn't do much good by itself. It's not like they set the prices, or, if truth be known, get all that much of each individual sale. Simon & Schuster is the one that sets the prices.

The whole ebooks should be cheaper than print books debate has been done to death. Prices are what they are. Let's try not to get that whole argument going again. I don't like it either but according to what I've been told numerous times, the actual cost of printing the books, especially mmpbs is pretty miniscule.

Just some points to ponder.

- Byron

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i have a nook and i am missing some star trek novels on .
    1) star trek enterprise the first adventure
    2) star trek final frontier
    3) star trek 4 the voyage home
    4) star trek probe
    5) star trek #31 fortunes of war
    6) star trek #84
    7) star trek ashes of eden
    8) star trek the return
    9) star trek avenger

for the next generation i am missing:

1) dark mirror

for star trek voyager :

1) caretaker
    2) the escape
    3) ragnarok
    4) violations
    5) ghost of a chance
    6) cybersong
    7) chrysalis
    8) the black shore

captin's table # 2,3,4

mirror universe : glass empire

myriad universe : shattered light

over all not bad . I was just wondering if you could look and see if they have these and if they do I may consider getting a kindle cause they also have the stargate series and battletech series .

thanks

4. bfollowell

I'm not certain but I believe almost all of those are available on the Kindle. No one really needs to check for you though as you can check yourself.

Just go to Amazon.com and search for Kindle versions of the titles you're interested in.

- Byron

5. bfollowell

Actually, maybe I spoke too soon. It looks like a lot of those aren't available on the Kindle, or in any other ebook format for that matter. For whatever reason, a lot of those you're wanting appear to be novelizations and don't appear to have ever been released as ebooks.

Still, you can go to Amazon.com and search for them all if you like.

- Byron

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

cool i'll check it out on amazon. thanks and, if you're a star wars fan check out red harvest.

7. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

I recieved a Kindle with Free 3G for Christmas.

I have a few, very old .lit books (non trek related). Can the Kindle read those files if I transfer them from my PC via USB?

I also have some content in PDF I would like to load onto it for work to read over when I travel. Does the Kindle handle .pdf's well? I know you can convert them to Kindle format using a handful of methods, but I am curious to -- what's the point if it can read the pdf straight up?

Thanks for the help.

8. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If your lit books do not have DRM then a package called Calibre will convert them to MOBI for you which then you can copy to the Kindle.

9. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

I received a Kindle 3 for Christmas as well and spent several days enjoying it. Downloaded the Slings and Arrows series first and enjoyed it, and already have a list of books built up. I'm going to finish the paperbacks I already had first. Which includes Zero Sum Game and What's Past.

10. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I'm curious about this as well. Can Calibre be used to convert pdfs into MOBI format?

11. Keptin J D Reed

Keptin J D Reed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

No need to convert. The kindle reads pdfs now.

12. bfollowell

Technically, yes, Calibre is capable of doing this. I've heard of mixed results though and I haven't really experimented with it myself.

Also, the K3, and maybe earlier models as well, can display pdfs natively. I've also heard mixed results of this and do not have any personal experience to comment on.

Calibre is free and it's easy to side-load files to the Kindle so I'd say give a try and see what you think.

Also, while many of us have ereaders and are more than willing to help when and where we can, the main reason for this forum's existence is TrekLit. If you really want a lot of ebook knowledgable people to see your questions, the mobileread forums are the place to go.

Good luck!

- Byron

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You can get the Captain's Table omnibus that has all 6 books in one. That way 2, 3, and 4 aren't a problem.

14. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOS: Prime Directive
    I got one from Santa. too, and am enjoying thr Typhon Pact novels.

Off topic, I would recommend The Mark Twain autobiography!

Enjoy!!! This thing is awesome :techman:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just checked B&N and all of these are on the Nook. I already had several of them on my wish list before your post, and I've even been reading Shattered Light since it came out on 12/14. I wonder why there's no Glass Empire? It's a newer book, and they even have the other two on the Nook.
    As for the Kindle, I'm pretty sure they both have pretty much the same books. If one doesn't have a book, then it's a really good chance the other doesn't too.

16. bfollowell

Of the nine you listed as available, only three appear to actually be available; Final Frontier, Dark Mirror and Ghost of a Chance. How did you determine the others are? They don't show up as available on the B&N site that I can see anywhere. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

- Byron

17. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the answers everyone. Appreciate it.

Also, back on subject, I looked briefly as well, and couldn't find the others mentioned either. I found the same 3 as you did.

18. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to go to far off topic, what novel was Janeway killed? Must add to kindle device :drool:

19. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

See, that right there would be more than enough reason to read any Voyager novel.......the prospect that Janeway dies. :rommie:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway died in the TNG Post-Nemesis novel Before Dishonor. Personally, I didn't like the book. My dislike has nothing to do with Janeway's death though, I just didn't think it was a very good book. I never even made it past the second or third chapter.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize it was showing me the paperbacks, even though I picked Nookbooks.