Trek black market?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Islander, May 26, 2009.

1. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Correct me if I'm wrong but Trek has overcome economy and banned all curencies, right? Next, Romulan Ale is illegal in Federation space, right?

Now how the hell does it end up everywhere? I would understand a black market but remember, they live for personal grow, not greed so what would motivate one to run such a market?

Further more, even if there is a something moneyable for exchange, how does it end up on Federation ships? Are there stash of weed on US Navy ships? Well maybe the USS Bill Clinton, but the others? I don't think so.

What do you think?

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Trek's a little more ambiguous than that most of the time. They said they have moved beyond the need to pursue wealth. But there could still be a currency. In addition, they could create their own goods or services and then barter them if they wanted to.

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

You're wrong Islander. Currency hasn't been banned. They've eliminated greed, on a cultural level, within the Federation itself. There's still money, and there are still greedy individuals, even within the Federation, and plenty outside it.

"They" don't live solely for personal growth. Personal growth might be a factor for those who perform certain types of jobs. The desire to help others is another possible motivator, as is doing a job simply to combat boredom by doing something challenging, fulfilling, exciting, etc..

In fact, that's all the reasons that one needs to engage in black marketeers, smuggling, etc.

4. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

The Federation laws on Romulan Ale, I'm not sure were ever spelled out. I think it just sounded cool to have it be contraband. It may be similar to modern hemp laws, in that it has little to do with the substance itself. It was probably illegalized to punish the Romulans economically, as well as to make a statement.

I don't get the impression that the sweet blue "ale" is available everywhere. From STVI it seems evident that its limited to small quantities, and doesn't turn up much on Earth or other planets with a strong Fed presence. As Kirk said, "one of the benefits of being a starship Captain".
    But by contrast, Klingon Blood Wine is bought and sold by the cask.

Another thing I wonder about: is Romulan Ale a beer? To call it an ale implies it, but if so, why is it so strong? It appears to be about as potent as whiskey and other hard drinks. I would guess that whatever ingredient turns it blue is also the secret to its unusual properties.

5. Tentacle

Tentacle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

currency isnt banned its just not used. But they do have replicator rations, transporter rations. I suspect those are in placed to prevent anyone from abusing the system.
    Gold pressed latium seem to be the currency of the galaxy.

as for romulan ale see post above.
    Wolf did get drunk off it in Riker and troi's prewedding party. So that would suggest its pretty strong.

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: It tickles me that Riker served Romulan Ale on his stag night.

7. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's definitely money. Remember McCoy's 'price you name, money I got' line in STIII.

8. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, but don't forget Kirk's line in ST:TVH: "They're still using money. We have to find some!"

9. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I took that to mean "cash" as opposed to the electronic/credit system we use today (I took public transport this morning, and didn't use any cash - just an electronic card) - while cash is still used, there is widespread use of e-money of various types.

10. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Ok, point taken about the money but I did state even if they have it, how does an illegal substance finds it way not only in Federation space but onboard it's bases, outposts and even flagship?

I'm pretty sure if you search any US navy ship or Brittish navy ship or whatever you wont find more than a bottle of whiskey in the captain cabin that was originally purchased legally. That's a far of a benefit they would have.

11. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I got the impression that it just wasn't needed in the heart of the Federation, or on Federation colonies. But they still needed it to deal with other species.

12. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the original series, "credits" are mentioned in at least two episodes. Another time (also in TOS) Kirk is chiding Spock for risking his life; Kirk asks Spock if he has any idea how much (how much what?) Starfleet has invested in his training; Spock proceeds to rattle off a number. Clearly there's some form of currency in use.

13. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

An embargo on ale is pointless post-replicator

Maybe it was simply an old rule that was never taken off the books.

All it would take is one gifted bottle from a neutral third party and Federation would be in no way supporting the Romulan economy.

Alcohol molecules are extremely simple. This is the same replicator that produces very complex chicken legs, cheesecakes and other elaborate food items? The idea that it couldn't store a simple pattern of ethanol mixed with assorted organic molecules is farsical.

The only thing that can't be replicated is live food like Gak. What percentage of all menu items are live food?

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  14. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Romulan Ale always struck me as a whiskey type of thing, for some reason.