Trek Authors with Original Works (Listing)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Technobuilder, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher recently posted about his new Original novel Only Superhuman which will be coming out at Tor in the near future and it got me thinking on all of the other Trek authors who have had their own original works published.

If it's alright, I'd like to start a listing of said works including original novels, novellas, & short stories. I'm the kind of person who likes to read authors I've read before regardless of genre, just because I tend to like the way they craft stories.

Figured a listing would be a good way to centralize the information and get some eyes on some favorite trek authors various original works.

Feel free to add your information to the listing if you're an author with original stories to share (Feel free to include ISBN information and whatever else would make it easy to track down. I'm thinking the shorts would be the hardest to find.)

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

David Mack, obviously, has the outstanding urban fantasy The Calling.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Keith R.A. DeCandido has four original works out now: Dragon Precinct and its sequel, Unicorn Precinct, an original novel coming up soon in a shared-universe project: Guilt in Innocence, a Tale of the Shattered Earth, and SCPD: The Case of the Claw. (He's already working on SCPD's second book, Avenging Amethyst.)

There are also original novellas and short stories galore with his name on them. Visit his website to learn more, and buy his stuff in a variety of formats.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dayton Ward wrote 2 modern alien invasion novels, The Last World War, and it's sequel, Counterstrike. Peter David wrote a three book series which follows follow King Arthur after he arrives in modern day New York, and gets involved in politic. He also has another trilogy I don't really know anything about called Sir Apropos of nothing. Those are the only original works by Trek that I know anything about that haven't been mentioned here yet, but I know there are a ton more.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He also wrote Genesis Protocol.

The names of these novels are:

Knight Life
    One Knight Only
    Fall of Knight

The names of the Sir Apropos of Nothing books are:

Sir Apropos of Nothing
    The Woad to Wuin
    Tong Lashing

A fourth book is planned for 2012, and I think there's a graphic novel adaption of the series, too.

In addition he has written several other original novels:

Howling Mad
    Tigerheart
    The Hidden Earth: Darkness of Light
    The Camelot Papers

6. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

There's of course Shatner's TekWar series, although as far as I remember he started with those before the Shatnerverse series of Trek novels.

7. Technobuilder

Did he really write those? I thought it was just another case of him consulting and advising with Ghost Writers.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Shatner's working relationship with the Reeves-Stevenses on the Trek novels is a full collaboration, with Shatner developing Kirk's story arc and dialogue while the R-Ses develop the rest, then rewriting what they write and having the final say on the books' content. I assume his working relationship with his collaborators on other series such as Tek and Quest for Tomorrow is similar.

9. Technobuilder

I've heard the tales of full collaboration" between Shatner and the Reeves-Stevenses, but even so I'd be hesitant to assume the same to be true with his other series of 'original' works.

According to Wikipedia (never to be disputed) Shatner only created rough outlines for the TekWar series of novels which were then ghost written by Ron Goulart.

The same thing can be said for the Quest For Tomorrow series ghost written by Bill Quick.

It's technically accurate to say that Shatner contributed, but I find it hard to believe he was a major partner in any of these writing endeavors.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I always wondered about all the references to other Trek shows in these novels, and Shatner's claims that he has never watched any of the other shows.

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Geoffrey Thorne has written an number of things outside the world of Trek, from short stories to scripts for the TV Show LEVERAGE. You can see his credits on his website HERE.

12. Christopher

It's worth noting that Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens themselves have done a lot of writing outside of Trek, as has Garfield Reeves-Stevens by himself. Here's a bibliography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_and_Garfield_Reeves-Stevens#Non-Star_Trek_Fiction

They've also done a lot of work as story editors on television, on shows like The Lost World and Phantom 2040 (a show they developed).

Of course, Diane Duane has written a bunch of original fiction, most famously her Young Wizards series and its Feline Wizards spinoff, and also including such works as the Tale of the Five saga (which was originally going to be four books but seems to have ended at three), and Stealing the Elf-King's Roses.

13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Ilsa Bick is also well-established now as an author of original YA fiction.

14. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

J.M Dillard has written some original novels, the one I'm familiar with is "The Borgia Bride".

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

David Gerrold has a very large body of excellent SF work, plus the autobiographical "The Martian Child", about a gay man adopting a son.

16. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Was that not adapted into a movie as well?

17. Christopher

^Loosely, I think.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Which, as far as I know, makes him the only Trek author to be portrayed by John Cusack in a movie! :)

Getting back to the topic, there are any number of authors who have delved briefly into Trek lit, but whom are probably better known for their original work: Greg Bear, Kij Johnson, Laurel Hamilton, S. P. Somtow (aka Somtow Sucharitkul), etc.

19. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

One of the first Star Trek novelists, James Blish, had a number of published novels and short stories. His Cities in Flight series is widely considered a classic of the genre, and A Case of Conscience won a Hugo award.

And Joe Haldeman, who wrote a couple of Trek novels, is also the author of the award-winning The Forever War, among many others.

20. Christopher

Although most of those are people who did their Trek books before they became big names for their original work. But there have been some writers who were already well-known for their original work before they did Trek, like Pamela Sargent & George Zebrowski, Jerry Oltion, Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch, James Gunn, and especially Robert Sheckley.

And of course people like James Blish, Alan Dean Foster, and Bantam novelists like Joe Haldeman and Gordon Eklund.