Spoilers Transwarp beaming (Picard S3 spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Yistaan, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We know that by 2387 Scotty had developed transwarp beaming and even told Ambassador Spock about it. How come it hasn't been utilized in Picard? Might have come in handy in some recent episodes. The closest we had was the beam to Nepenthe from the Artifact, but that was specifically mentioned as being unique to the Borg cube's abilities.

2. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. But Prime Spock was a genius and even he had trouble beaming both Kelvin scotty and Kirk in a safe spot on the ship. I'm guessing it's too dangerous for anyone else to try. It was basically never perfected.

Yistaan likes this.
  3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The Dominion essentially had it as well, but that also seems to have been largely forgotten.

Set Harth likes this.
  4. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

The Kelvin backstory is already non-canon given the events of the backstory in Picard differ enough in details from the ST09 backstory to render it incompatible.

5. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I asked Michael Chabon himself on Instagram during season 1 and he said that the Kelvin story is still officially canon, although he replied honestly that he doesn't actually know what Spock was trying to do by turning Romulus' sun into a black hole. That's as an official an answer as we're going to get but bottom line, kelvin movies are canon. George Kirk and the USS Kelvin were even mentioned in SNW

6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

How does it not fit? The nova still happened, and Spock still stopped it.
    I imagine 31 took it in prime as well, and that's how Sloan beamed into Bashir's bedroom ;)

Enterprise is Great likes this.
  7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I think making it Romulus’ sun going supernova was a bit of a retcon they made for Picard.

Of course, it’s more scientifically accurate for it to be the same system, but we’ve seen in Star Trek things like Praxis exploding causing huge shockwaves that propagate light years away (which is how I had interpreted it back in 2009). If it’s some other star then using red matter in order to save Romulus makes sense.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it was just something Spock and Scotty kept secret between them. I postulated as much in this bit of silliness back in 2016:

Ianburns252, Ovation and drt like this.
  9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

You totally called Daystrom Station, lol.

Ovation and The Wormhole like this.
  10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I did at that.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's in the "Might have come it handy" Wing at Daystrom. Which is actually the largest wing.

Ovation likes this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally know wear the magic technology warehouse is. Along side the Ark of the Covenant.

urbandk likes this.
  13. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

Um..I think maybe we have a misunderstanding.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie specifically said that the supernova somehow threatened the galaxy, so we know it was not like a normal supernova.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Something something sub-space.
    Or destabilizing the Romulan Empire could be disastrous.
    Picard S1 kind of proves the latter.

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

They’re still awaiting the arrival of Admiral Archer’s prize beagle for official approval.

urbandk likes this.
  17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Imagine if the Federation's enemies had transwarp beaming. It could make portal tech look like child's play when waves of enemy troops can appear anywhere in the Federation at any time. Wouldn't be surprised if a decision was made to lock transwarp beaming away and bury it rather than take the chance of it falling into the wrong hands.

18. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

It keeps being mentioned as being developed but never used.
    My guess is the writers simply chose to not use it (like they decided to not use many other different things... either because they don't know, or because it would wreck with their story which would need to be readjusted to accommodate for more advanced technology).

19. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

...go on...?

20. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps, but the Dominions transporter had limits. About a few lightyears.
    VOY encountered a translocator technology which was able to beam individuals (one at a time) at a distance of 10 Ly's.
    The TW beaming might only be limited in range when it comes to the power source.
    We know from the Kelvin timeline 'Into Darkness' that Khan used a portable TW beaming unit and an empty small craft to beam himself from SOL to Qu'Onos - that's already a lot more advanced than what the Dominion showcased.

With 24th century power systems, TW beaming should be capable of beaming a person dozens to hundreds of LY's... maybe thousands... or you could simply RELAY the transporter signal throughout subspace amplifiers and listening posts that are in the Federation (aka, instant beaming throughout UFP space).