Spoilers TP: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, May 19, 2012.

?

Rate Plagues of Night.

1. Outstanding

59 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Above Average

38 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. Average

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Below Average

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

How are people so fortunate to get theirs so early? I have not looked to try to order the kindle version yet.

2. chris_masters5

chris_masters5 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I pre-ordered it on Amazon weeks ago - funny thing is I've just checked on Amazon and it still says available for pre-order - released on 21 June. ??

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:eek: That was not what I expected.
    I just read the excerpt on the very first page of the book, and it reveals that the book does in fact continue Ben Sisko's story from Rough Beasts of Empire.

4. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me, while I'd have liked more DS9-specific content in recent years, I found Janeway's death believable, I actually find Ezri Dax a different kind of awesome from Jadzia Dax, and don't see any improbabilities with Sisko's development in RBOE (bad things happen to characters we like, sometimes because of their own choices).

I can't wait to get my copy. Friday?

5. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah bad things happen to characters. Although in Sisko's case its special since what occurs is precisely what Avery Books argued against and the Show Writers changed a scene because of his issues with another Black Man dumping his Family. which no matter how much you want to sugar coat it is what occurs. Not even talking about the execution of said dumping. Still I am sure if Sisko shows up we will get plenty of acrimonious debate over character development.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Well I should get my copy early next week as the Book Depositary has said my pre-order is ready and being sent out to me.

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

This is the first trek book I haven't preordered in a while.

Waiting to see if anyone who hated rboe waxes lyrical about this.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You could read it yourself, and see what YOU think, instead of listening to biased reviewers.

Yes, I know that's harsh.... but I'll bet there are already readers outthere boycotting this because of RBeO. So what's wrong with forming your own opinion by actually reading it?

9. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

nothing wrong with getting other peoples opinions first although that usually requires spoilers which can sometimes ruin the whole reading experience. I suppose he can just get ratings on Sisko and ask non specific questions like is he being built back up or getting wrecked more.

which reminds me has anything bad happenned to Picard? nothing stands out for me. I mean Janeway got killed off. Sisko is splitting the fanbase right now.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I think the only people dicked around right now are sisko & bashir. I guess Geordie does with his love life but I find that hilarious to be honest.

I'm personally happy that Janeway's bit the dust since...she's a mass murderer and all.

Not harsh, just....silly. The likelyhood I will see this in any local bookshops is close to zero, libraries even less so. And I'd need to read a pretty serious chunk of it to know if it was worth buying so short excerpts are out too. And since I believe in voting with my wallet I certainly won't be buying it unless I know that people who had the same problems with rboe as I did enjoyed it.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  11. Mage

Sily? I can't find any Trek books here either, but the book's only 8 euro's. Not that much. Certainly worthy of spending so I can form my own opinion.

12. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I'm not going to pay any amount of money to read something which based on recent experience I probably won't enjoy. Just the way I am I guess.

le shrug

13. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't a fan of RBOE but I'm intrigued enough to want to know where DRG III is going with with Sisko. Besides, he has a track record of so many great books that I wouldn't stop reading just for one I book I didn't like.

However, I am boycotting Michael Martin because I haven't liked anything of his I've read lately and have given up.

14. Mage

See, this is a well thought out response! DRG has written some of the best Trek novels out there, but he has one slip-up (for some, I love RBoE) and people see him as trash. That's like everybody collectivly hating a very populair pop 'artist' because he is no longer the hot new thing. That just doesn't make sense.

15. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, if a writer moves things into a controversial direction and people get upset, I tend to be inclined to give the author the benefit of the doubt and become intrigued with the work. Life isn't always fair, and people make mistakes, and stories and characters should reflect that. I don't mind being challenged by a work now and then. And the debate about Sisko's behavior has been among the more interesting in recent memory on the board, so it has that going for it.

16. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

ahahaha
    unlike mine right?

Of his books I loved 32nd rule & serpents among the ruins. Which came out thirteen and nine years ago respectively.

But since you didn't ask what the last book of his I liked and just assumed, here we are.

17. Mage

Talking of Sisko's behaviour, I just re-read Fearfull Symetry and The Soulkey, and both novels already start Sisko on his new path. He is appereantly given a vision by the Prophets of things to come, atleast that how it is comes across to me. And judging from what we know, it was probably a vision of the Trouble with the Ascendents.

What he did to Vaughn, I feel, was horrible but nessecary. If Vaughn hadn't taken out his counterpart, both and Opaka would have tried to save his counterpart, meaning Opaka would probably be killed during the Klingon's raid. Opaka is appereantly needed so the Bajoran's in the Mirror Universe can finally achieve the spiritual mindset that is needed. I kept getting the feeling that the entire situation with the Ascendents was going to involve the Mirror Universe as well, or perhaps the entire Multiverse, since the Prophets found it nessecary to have The Sisko be the Emissary in every Universe, not just ours.
    Sisko, at that time, felt the actions towards Vaughn were justified, since it was all for Them. So, if anyone wants to blame anyone for Sisko's path, please realize that it was all part of a bigger plan for the DS9 story arc already laid out, one that ultimatly never came to fruition.

18. Mage

*deleted this post, since it was me lowering myself to a level I don't want to go to*

19. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Wow, I can't imagine much that's ruder than what's in your edit! Not to worry though, I've got a pretty thick skin.

Awesome, will be interested to know what you think of it!

20. Mage

Zarkon, if you feel that I implied your level was low, I apologize. That was not my intention. I purposefully try to NOT get involved in big discussions online, since they have a tendency to get out of hand. I myself have, on occasion, said things I'm not proud of. That was the level I was referering to. I can see how it might have come across to you as an insult towards you. So for that, again, my apologies.
    What I said, was indeed a low blow towards you, one that you did not deserve. I've had a crappy day, and made a post that vented my anger in a wrong way. Since you did not deserve such a comment, I decided to edit my post. I see that the edit itself isn't a very smart move either though.