TOS: Savage Trade cover

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. I love the Archer class and I'm glad it's really taken off as a famous design and keeps getting "screen time."

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Wow. That's awesome. What a shame that paperback novels are only so big.

What's that starship class alongside the Enterprise and the Montana? They remind me of Kazon ships, but they don't match any Kazon ship model.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I wish whoever had decided to use an Archer-class ship in this novel had consulted with me regarding the name. Montana doesn't fit the class's naming theme (archery and archers). In fact, there's a list of proposed ship names and registry numbers in the Vanguard and Seekers series bibles that I would have been happy to provide. Ah, well.

That said, I'm glad the Archer-class starship designed by Masao Okazaki continues to be seen on the book covers.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^My avatar agrees with you, Mr. Mack.

--Sran

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

They're Mister Tret's vessels from ENT: "Extinction".
    (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tret's_containment_vessel)

Ships of the class also appear on the cover for DS9: The Missing.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice cover. It's always nice to see a ship cover by Doug Drexler.
    I wonder if there is some significance to the ships from Ent. or if they're just meant to be a for a new species' ships?

8. Cuhl

Cuhl Captain Captain

Apparently there is an Archer, Montana. Maybe you can cook up some connection.

9. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

A question, David! Is this class still supposed to be named after Jonathan Archer? Or has he been ret-conned (or maybe pro-conned?) out of the honor? Other than the name, does Capt. Archer have any connection with archery (other than "Broken Bow"?)

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No more significance than whenever various alien of the week ship designs have been re-used throughout the shows.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I expect so. One thing CGI models have in common with physical ones is that it's cheaper and quicker to reuse an existing one than to build a new one. And I doubt the budget for book covers is all that high, so we'd be unlikely to see any new ship models unless they're for recurring hero ships like Titan, Aventine, or Sagittarius.

Of course, back in the day, painted covers sometimes recycled old ship designs too. The Romulan Way showed two characters being strafed by Colonial Vipers from Battlestar Galactica, and TNG: Ghost Ship featured the inverted Galactica on the cover.

12. Markonian

Personally, I welcome the reuse of ships. We get more limelight for rarely seen but good looking designs, and occasionally it adds fabric to the universe. For example, explaining that the Tellarite and Xindi-Arboreal ships are of Arkonian manufacture adds a facet to the alien-of-the-week Arkonians, and explains why Tellarite and Retellian freighters look the same.

But I'm a starship afficionado and easily get drooling about seeing those CGI beauties again. :alienblush::lol:

13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Good question. The series bible still says the class was named for Jonathan Archer. However, even a cursory glance at the list of proposed member ships in the class reveals the theme:

NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Archer
    NCC–2012 U.S.S. Merida
    NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Arjuna
    NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Artemis
    NCC–1968 U.S.S. Bowman
    NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Kyudo
    NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Locksley
    NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Longbow
    NCC–1905 U.S.S. Rama
    NCC–xxxx U.S.S. Huang Zhong

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, we've had at least one interesting exception to the use of existing designs to represent unrelated vessels on book covers. The cover to The Shocks of Adversity featured what was a pretty accurately depicted Goeg ship; it was the right shape, colour and size and, so far as I can tell, was entirely new.

On an unrelated note, that Archer-class looks beautiful.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the cover art and the Archer class Starship.

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Markonian

It's another three hundred years until the launch of the Sagittarius-class. Surely there's enough room for a significant future archer named Montana?

I can't get Hannah Montana out of my head, though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Very good point, Markonian.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Along with the USS Queen, USS Harper, USS Barton, USS Everdeen, USS Cupid...

20. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Have you tried electroshock therapy?

I'd like to think the ship is named after Tony Montana (as in "Say hello to my little friend")