TOS Officer's Cabin

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TOS Purist, Jun 5, 2008.

1. TOS Purist

TOS Purist Commander Red Shirt

A while back my Dad and I decided to finish off a room in his house to look like the officer's quarters as seen aboard a TOS Starfleet ship. We decided to make it as screen-accurate as possible, but since it wouldn't be EXACTLY like those seen aboard a Starship Class, Constitution-variant cruiser (the room was shaped just a little differently), we made up our own ship to "go around it," as it were. More on that later...for now, here's pictures of my own "set:"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I built the Logbook from scratch, and the lights will be able to be activated by the button in the middle (once I run the wiring in it). The Red Alert panel isn't a full panel, because there's already an intercom unit on the desk, and having it on the wall would be redundant, I figured. The room isn't done, of course; we still have to finish modding the chair, and we're going to build a Computer Interface Unit (the "box computer" thing) for the room, as well.

The ship that the room belongs to is a Spaceship Class, Papal-variant cruiser called the SS Benedict XVI. Here's a few pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Specs:
    Name and Registry No. - SS Benedict XVI, NC-155
    Class - Spaceship
    Variant - Papal
    Year Designed - 2223
    Year Launched - 2230
    Crew Compliment - 150
    Phaser Turret Emplacements - 2 (top, forward), 1, (bottom, forward), 2 (top, rear-facing), 1 (bottom, rear-facing)
    Photon Torpedo Emplacements - 1 (top, forward), 2 (bottom, forward)
    Shuttlecraft Compliment - 4
    Crusing Speed - Warp Factor 4
    Top (Safe) Speed - Warp Factor 7
    Planetfall Landing Capacity - Enabled
    Dedication Plaque and Ship Badges:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Layout
    [​IMG]

Any and all questions/comments/suggestions are welcome, of course. :D

2. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

That's freakin' AWESOME dude! Well done to you and your Pops! :techman:

Um, is that ship a reverse MF with nacelles?

deg

3. TOS Purist

Thanks!! It was a LOT of work (doing all that drywall was a pain!), but just walking into that room is thrilling, especially to a hardcore TOS fan like myself. I never get sick of it!!

I see you caught the Star Wars reference. ;) It wasn't actually intentional - the "fins" on the back were originally much thinner - but when I widened them I realized it WAS a backwards MF. Not that I mind much...I'm a Star Wars fan, too (Original Trilogy, of course!). :techman:

4. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Oh yeah dude, I love all Trek, but I'm a TOS guy to the core, watching it from day one, 09.08.66, and still watching it every week remastered. Never gets old in my book either. ;)

And I'm A Star Wars guy too (Trek first though), and I prefer the OT too, but I dig the latter ones two, esp. the vfx.

Again, great room eh!

deg

5. TOS Purist

Whoa, you're one of the "First Ones?" I bow to your seniority. :lol:

Yeah, about the only new SW movie I enjoyed was Episode III, mostly just because of the dramatic depth and enhanced characterization it gave the Original Trilogy (in particular, Return of the Jedi). :)

6. chancellorjake

chancellorjake Captain Captain

Amazing! I'm simply wowed by the talent and the attention to detail.

7. TOS Purist

That's really nice to hear!! Any questions/suggestions/comments?

8. chancellorjake

chancellorjake Captain Captain

Is the bed comfortable? Heh! One would certainly hope so.
    On a serious note, the attention to detail is outstanding. Do you plan on installing pocket doors to complete the look? I'm assuming there is available space.

9. TOS Purist

Even though the bed is nothing more than a mattress on a piece of plywood (built to specs!! :lol: ) it actually is very comfortable. I have a blanket that I put overtop for when I'm sleeping on it. :)

The main entrance door actually IS a pocket door, which I'm very proud of! The bathroom door could have been a pocket door too, but my Dad had already put in the wall before he realized it, and didn't want to rip it all down again. But Starbase 11 (as seen in "Court Martial" and "The Menagerie") still has the "hatch" kind of doors (watch when McCoy and Spock enter the courtroom, or when Kirk and Mendez visit Pike for the first time), so it would stand to reason that an old ship like mine (built a little before Pike's time, refitted twice) might still have a few "vestigial" hatch doors left over. :techman:

10. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Awesome work, TOS Purist. Honestly, I'm impressed. I especially like all the little details like the intercom unit and the Gallian magazine.

I have only one suggestion to make though. Maybe you should try to get a professional photographer to take pictures of the "set". I think that's the biggest problem with those pics; they just aren't lit like the original sets. I'd think a photgrapher could arrange a better lighting and use some filters to emulate the true 60s feel.

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being both a Trek Fan and a Who Fan, I get a kick from the Dalek miniature sitting upon the mantle.

Sincerely,

Bill

12. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

Wow. Even my fiance likes it. Future project!!! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

13. TOS Purist

That's a very good point and an excellent suggestion; it's crossed my mind before, but I didn't really think many people would notice. Now, however...I think I'll definately look into that. :techman:

No problem! :lol: If you ever need or want any tips on certain aspects of it, you know where to reach me. :)

14. fluxhead

fluxhead Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is sweet!!! :drool:

Does she have a sister ship - the SS Saint Pius X ? :techman:

15. Gouf

Gouf Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That is truly SWEET. I love the attention to detail. And you get serious bonus points if the vanity rotates shut into the wall.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

This is pure fun! Great work on the cabin.

17. TOS Purist

:wtf: Whoa...that's freaky...I actually DID name the first ship of this class the SS Pious X!!

[​IMG]

That picture also lets you see what this class originally looked like, before the 2250 refit. Notice the Daedalus-style nacelles. ;)

Re: Goufs post - I'm afraid I won't get those bonus points, although my Dad and I ARE considering making it a full rotary dresser at some point in the future. :techman:

18. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that is quite AWESOME. Sure makes the lawn-chair bridge I built in my basement way back when look like crap. :lol:

Oh, come on, everyone did that, am I right?

19. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love it! I like how you even created your own ship design.

Marvelous job! :bolian:

Sean

20. TOS Purist

:lol: Well, I never did that, but I did salvage a few old display screen modules from my local bowling alley when they upgraded...with the intention that I'd convert them to TOS bridge modules... :o