Spoilers TOS: No Time Like the Past by Greg Cox Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Feb 15, 2014.

?

Rate No Time Like the Past.

1. Outstanding

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Above Average

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I believe it's the wrong outfit for the time she came from, and not the one described in the novel. ("Uniform" isn't really the word, since it was unique to her.)

4. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Exactly that, Christopher - if it hadn't been specifically mentioned a couple of times, I wouldn't have noticed

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Greg, did you have a specific influence when you chose 6422.5 as the stardate of the main story?

6. Greg Cox

Honestly, I think I spent more time trying to figure out where exactly to place Seven's story in the Voyager chronology. For Kirk, I think I just chose sometime after the original TV series, during the tail end of the original five-year mission.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never did much care for starships that aren't symmetrical.

8. Enterprise1701

Then how do you feel about the Breen warship from DS9? ;) Or Star Trek Online's array of other Breen starships?

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Then how do you feel about the Breen warship from DS9? ;) Or Star Trek Online's array of other Breen starships?[/QUOTE]

The Breen warship came to mind upon reading that as well.
    Imho, STO's Plesh Brek-class is unbecoming. However, the smooth Breen cruiser from Armada is cool.

10. Enterprise1701

Say Greg, was it your interpretation that the Atoz duplicates in "All Our Yesterdays" were androids or holograms?

11. Greg Cox

That was a few books ago, and my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that I went with holograms . ...

12. Enterprise1701

I see. Thank you!

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

German publisher Cross Cult has found a German title for "No Time Like The Past", which is scheduled to be released in February 2016. "Frueher war alles besser". Which means "Everything was better in the old days". I don´t know if it is final. Sometimes they have found titles lacking any better suggestions and changed them later on.
    And the release date may also change.

14. Greg Cox

Hah! Thanks for telling me.

My favorite foreign-language title change to date was when my ROSWELL novel, "Loose Ends," ended up being published in French as something that translated to "The Assassins Never Forget."

Come again?

15. Kilana2

I have read the original and I can´t come up with a better translation.
    Where does the title "No Time like the Past" come from?
    I did a google research and it offered me an American TV show from the sixties which I´m not familiar with.

Janeway uses in "Relativity" a reference. And I only watched it in German. I don´t have my VOY DVDs at hand. I just remember that they translated it literally. In this case they could do it. This episode was full of tricky puns/phrasings related to time/time travelling.

I can see the difficulties of translating some titles. Some are not translatable. Or have to be changed. They could do it in this case, too. In one of the German Vanguard novels they announced the next one with a different title than the book finally got (if I´m not mistaken).

16. Christopher

It's a play on the expression "no time like the present," which means that it's better to act now than to put something off for later. Substituting "past" for "present" in the saying is often used in time-travel stories, for instance in a Twilight Zone episode.

17. Kilana2

As I said, they have translated some of the phrases literally in the VOY episode. I´m going to re-watch it some time (in the future:)), both in the original and the dubbing. I like that kind of comparison.

As to the saying: my dictionary has found it.

There is also "A stitch in time saves nine". My dictionary offers a similiar translation, but also something like "Better safe than sorry". I guess it is contextual.

Thanx for the explanation, by the way.

18. Christopher

I always used to be confused by "A stitch in time saves nine," but now I know it means that it's better to fix a small tear with one stitch than to wait until it's big enough to need ten stitches. So if you stitch the tear "in time," you save an additional nine stitches. In other words, it's better to address a problem while it's small and easy to fix than to neglect it until it becomes harder to fix.

I can see the connection to "Better safe than sorry," though, because that means it's better to take action against a possible problem than to neglect it. That's more about whether you address it at all than whether you put it off for later, but I guess they overlap.

19. Kilana2

I don´t know if it has anything to do with Garak´s "A stitch in time". Either way, the German translation was "Ein Stich zur rechten Zeit". A literal translation and correct, as Garak is a tailor (among other things).

20. Greg Cox

"No time like the past" is also a line from "Relativity" on Voyager. I confess that I had completely forgotten about the TZ episode when I latched onto it for a title.