BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Starship - Thanks :) One day a walk through. Yes, definitely.

@Mytran - This mockup was still for a 947' ship. I wanted to make some more tries at scaling the shuttlebay so I still go to the 947' version for quick mockups :)

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aha! That makes sense.
    When you talk about "scaling" the shuttlebay do you simply mean about determining the scaled up size of the miniature as it appears on screen?
    Or is your intention to take the forced perspective and model extrapolate out the non-forced dimensions?

Hope that came out right!

3. blssdwlf

@Mytran - I think I was not precise in my meaning as well :)

I'm rebuilding the flight deck again and once done, I'll scale the external model that is already built to it (if necessary). Basically matching the openings up.

Some of the constraints I'm operating on and/or changing are:
    1. The exterior opening needs to match the interior opening size (scale)
    2. I'm using the 21-22' shuttle length.
    3. The Observation Deck in "The Conscience of the King" when I first modeled it, I "corrected" the walls to make it more parallel. I am changing it back to "as-seen" where it gets wider as it approaches the camera. This will change where I can place it but it also means it won't factor as much into the gap between the interior of the flight deck and the exterior of the ship.

So some changes are coming :)

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's a very interesting arrangement, possibly one room for each nacelle, slight variation in mechanics in each room.

5. Mytran

Marvellous! Can't wait :)

Your setplan extrapolation talents with CGI are incredibly useful (not mention yielding fascinating results at times)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. blssdwlf

I'm not ready to post an image yet, but after rebuilding the flight deck this time using the bay door, elevator and the triple launch/recovery rails as a guide with a 22' shuttle, the flight deck fit in a 947' ship (barely). Then I added those bays on the sides and that made it not fit :(

So I slowly scaled the exterior hull until those bays fit. My current scaled ship is now: 330.58m or 1,084 feet.

7. blssdwlf

Screenshot :)

And if you're wondering, yes, the rails/elevator/turntable is not on the flight deck centerline.

[​IMG]

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Cool! I'm more and more in the 1080' camp myself. I like 947' for the obvious traditional reasons... but 1080' just makes more and more sense to me...

--Alex

9. Mytran

Curious - why is the centre of the miniature not on the centreline? Or it this just part of the WIP?

10. blssdwlf

It would appear that the model makers were a little off on the centerline. When I place the rails centerline, the walls are clearly shifted a little bit.

I'll look through some behind the scenes photo and see if that is the case there and I just didn't notice it as much the first time around.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  11. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

In your hangar deck thread I posted this link with these b&w photos of the original miniature: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34793 (post # 8).

The third b&w shot from the top is an aft view of the original VFX shuttlebay model and the floor rails of the clamshell doors seem to allign with the outer wall of the side bays. Did you consider this shot for the 1,084' estimate?

Bob

12. blssdwlf

@Bob - I looked at it, but did not use those shots for the estimate. It was a simple "rescale" the Enterprise until the flight deck and it's side bays fit in the hull. It could probably be scaled a little down to 1,080'. As to the alignment, it's very small. You probably would not be able to eye ball it from those reference pics.

13. blssdwlf

Alright, worked on the observation deck and this time adhering to the room widening toward the camera. Since it's shaped like the Romulan bridge ;) it makes it a little tricky to place in the flight deck area. The flight deck as shown below takes liberty with what is towards the bow, beyond the 2nd pair of windows on the observation deck since the camera doesn't show the forward section of the flight deck.

I've placed the "The Conscience of the King" observation deck (room) forward of the other observation deck rooms and in two different configurations to try it on for size.

1. The port side one would have a bulkhead angle that matches "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and it would suggest Kirk taking the tour from bow to stern.
    2. The starboard side rotates it 180ish and would suggest that Kirk's tour is ending after he comes up (or down) from the stern and is heading forward towards the bow. The bulkheads are more parallel with the warp pylons.
    This is on a 1,084' ship.

*What I also did was to lowered the height of the flight deck ceiling near the warp pylons since that section is never visible in the camera shots from the episodes. This gives the power couplings a more direct and level route to the nacelles, ala TMP.

[​IMG]

14. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

That's very interesting. I get the impression from the episode that they are moving bow to stern. And yet, on your in situ model, I like the starboard placement better, as it seems a more natural angle to have an observation deck at. We do know the volume the windows look out over is the Flight Deck, though, as Kirk says as much to Lenore, so we can't say it's some hangar area forward of the Flight Deck.

I guess I'm unclear about where the forward wall is on your Flight Deck.

Part of me does like the Portside placement actually, but I have to wonder, what are the windows overlooking?

--Alex

15. blssdwlf

I have the same issue with the port side version. It's like they're looking into cargo area or something if this was the TOS ship.

The forward wall is still being played with since it could be anything. Here is a profile view to see the rough location of where the forward wall would be:

[​IMG]

16. Mytran

The odd thing about this scene is that Kirk enters from the LEFT of the screen. How much space is the there to allow him and Lenore to scoot round the edge of the wall. The can't be much, that side is adjacent to the vacum of outer space!

17. blssdwlf

That's a good point. I've uploaded a top view with the camera sight-lines and you can see there is a triangle of space that could fit Kirk and Lenore if they squeezed in there.

When I rewatched it on DVD, it seems like the cut was abrupt from Spock and McCoy to Kirk and Lenore though. The first frames of Kirk and Lenore already show them both visible and in motion walking from that blind spot/triangle space to the right.

My thinking is that since they're already in motion and visible, they could have just finished looking out the window or some wall console and turned to continue into the observation deck. (Rather than coming around that grilled partition behind them.)

[​IMG]

18. blssdwlf

I figure I would eventually start looking at the corridors of the Enterprise and is in response to another thread in the Tech section.

This is a Thermian look at Rand's hallway that can be directly tied to her quarters in "The Enemy Within" and "Charlie X". It would appear we don't really see that much of the hallway as I had previously though.

Also, it would appear that she moves cabins between these two episodes since both the signs are different ("3C 46" and in the later episode, "3F 125") and the hallway across gains a yellow door. The curvature also appears to be minimized with few shots where we can see the floor or ceiling edges.

[​IMG]

19. blssdwlf

Merry Christmas and an update on the flight deck.

Fleshed out more of it and with 2013, I'm going to also make each visited section to be render-ready instead of just blocking it in. Should be interesting :)

[​IMG]

20. blssdwlf

A little more progress. Some texture-mapping and I'll be done with matching the scene and move onto the Observation Deck from "The Conscience of the King".

[​IMG]