Todd Douglas Miller's "Apollo 11"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by hbquikcomjamesl, Apr 15, 2019.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw Apollo 11 last night.

I will say that I would have rather seen movie theatres maintain presentation standards (i.e., the screen was poorly masked, with the bottom edge noticeably curved), and leave the seating the way it is in live theatre and in concert halls, than upgrade the seating, and let presentation go to pot.

That said, it was visually far more impressive than Gibson and Coe's almost-half-century-old Footprints on the Moon, and they didn't take the shortcuts (e.g., using footage of an earlier Saturn V launch) Gibson and Coe needed in order to make it into theatres less than two months after the Moon Landing, but on the other hand, it lacked the warmth, of Footprints, and the music wasn't as good (Philip Moody's Laguna Concerto was a perfect match to the Apollo 11 visuals).

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it in IMAX and it was an amazing document. I loved that there was no voice-over; just the actual transmissions. I already have it pre-ordered on Blu-Ray; highly recommended!

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, it was definitely nice hearing Jack King calling the countdown without anybody else talking over him.

(Incidentally, that is the most obvious "tell" that indicates that Gibson and Coe used an earlier Saturn V launch [I used to know which one] as a shortcut: "Guidance internal" vs. "Guidance is internal."

Speaking of Saturn V launches, Assignment: Earth used the unmanned Apollo 4 launch, the only Saturn V launch prior to the episode's airdate, much less its production date.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, saw it last month and it's really quite amazing what they achieved. What really got me was how sharp the imagery was to the point that it really feels modern in some places rather than a throwback.

5. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just did a Google search (this thread was top when I filtered it to UK and the last week by the way) and discovered it comes out here on 28th June :D, finally. Given that the man behind it is from Britain - Sheffield to be precise, I should say it's about time. I know some of the scenes of the Saturn V's ascent from this doc were used in 'First Man' from the commentary track to that film.