TNG-VOY crossover episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by cosmic mouse, Jan 29, 2018.

1. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

...either a continuation of events that began in TNG or crossover characters. I am watching the series out of chronological order and have already concluded VOY, but am only halfway through season 3 of TNG.

I already know about Barclay (and Troi) and Q and of course the Borg, but I just recently saw "The Price" and had an "aha!" moment when the two Ferengi got stranded in the DQ at the end of the bogus unstable wormhole.

Any other events (I'll accept minor spoilers if they occur) and/or characters that I should keep my eyes peeled for as I continue through TNG?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the first episode of season 7 a ginger woman is given command of the Enterprise. She defeats the Borg easily.

More foreshadowing of things to come than a crossover really. :sigh:

How about: Tim Russ is in a season 6 episode playing a terrorist as he would later also do in the first episode of Voyager.

Same thing again really isn't it. :sigh:

Oh yeah! How about: Tom Paris' first appearance is in a season 5 episode, except he's not called Tom Paris, his name was changed in the first episode of Voyager, presumably so the writer of the TNG episode wouldn't get paid royalties for the character they created being used on another show. (presumption mine)

cosmic mouse likes this.
  3. cosmic mouse

No sweat, I'll take foreshadowing, though I was looking for stuff a little more nuanced/detailed in the connection... perhaps I named all the main ones already in the OP.

Thanks Orac :techman:

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The episode right before “All Good Things” deals with the Maquis and was intended as a setup show for Voyager. Also “Journey’s End” also sets up the Maquis.

cosmic mouse likes this.
  5. cosmic mouse

@tomswift2002 Nice! I think I had heard about one of those eps previously, but not the other. And I plan on watching DS9 next and I think the Maquis make an appearance there as well...
    :beer:

6. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Riker was in the (Voyager) episode Death Wish... yet I don't recall his status back home.

cosmic mouse likes this.
  7. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

We first meet Boothby in Season 5's The First Duty.

8. cosmic mouse

Ah, yes... the ep with Tom Paris, I mean... well not sure what that character's name is TNG.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Janeway is in the last TNG movie (very briefly).

BTW, the wormhole wasn't "bogus." It was a real wormhole, just not a stable one.

cosmic mouse likes this.
  10. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

Nick Locarno.

The early episodes of Voyager basically had Tom Paris as Locarno,referencing some accident in which cadets died as a result of Tom's over confidence.
    That aspect of Paris's character was quickly phased out though,

11. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

He was also a StarFleet officer on the Enterprise-B bridge in Generations.

dJE

12. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

And the E.M.H. was briefly in First Contact.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Geordi appears in Timeless.

Another Nick Locarno situation is the Taurik/Vaurik thing. I like to think they are the same person and we have a Gary/Gerry Gurgich kind of thing.

And of course the Borg Queen debuted in TNG.

14. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Was the Maquis thing created in TNG just because it could be later used in DS9 and VGR?

15. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought that was the reason too, but people in subsequent discussions have said the contracts don't actually work like that. Perhaps it's as simple as the producers feeling Nicks transgressions were too much to recover from so they made Tom's not quite as bad.

16. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nick Locarno influenced & conspired with others to cover up the death of one cadet during a forbidden training demonstration, & was expelled from Starfleet for it, so that his team's punishment would be lessened. Tom Paris covered up his own piloting error that took the lives of 3 fellow officers, for which he was also expelled from Starfleet, thereafter joining the Maqui, wherein he got convicted of treason, did time in prison, & was generally considered a mercenary who'd run with anyone that paid his bar tab.

I'm not saying that Locarno would've fared any better. He could've gone down the same exact road really, but in truth, Tom's got a way worse record... but then again, he's an admiral's son, who Janeway just happened to serve under at one time. So apparently, 2nd chances just drop outta the sky for that guy

17. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

The Maquis was established in both TNG and DS9 specifically to set up VOY. In broadcast order, "Journey's End" sets up the situation that allows the Maquis to develop, the Maquis are officially introduced in "The Maquis Parts I & II" on DS9, and then further established with the audience in TNG's "Preemptive Strike" and DS9's "Defiant" before VOY's "Caretaker." Gul Evek was used to run a thread through some of those stories.

The Maquis were not originally intended for DS9's use beyond the premier of VOY. Once the DS9 writers realized that VOY wasn't doing much with the Maquis and the remaining Maquis in the Alpha Quadrant represented a dangling thread, they picked it up again in late season 4.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's arguable that DS9 ultimately handled the Maquis better than VOY did.

Then again, it's not like the Maquis in the AQ were just going to disappear when VOY started.

19. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Admiral Hayes from Star Trek: First Contact shows up in both Hope and Fear and Lifeline

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway is in NEM

21. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

Riker is transported to Voyager to testify in the episode "Death Wish," though it's stated that he won't remember the events afterward.