TNG episodes that would have been better with Cpt. Kirk.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by gakelly, May 12, 2019.

1. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

What TNG episodes would you have loved to see Captain KIrk in instead of Picard?

Most of the first season episodes, but it would be awesome to see him in Tapestry.

2. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Had Kirk been Worf's cha'DIch, he wouldn't have needed to be saved by a knife thrown by an elderly Klingon nanny. :rolleyes:

Phoenix219 likes this.
  3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, The Devil's Due was in all likelihood written specifically with that in mind

Too Short a Season would've maybe been much better with Kirk... Just not in place of Picard. ;)

4. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    Kirk would have kicked the Borg out of the galaxy on first meeting, but then we wouldn't have had all these great Borg Episodes, nor First Contact. So I'm inverting the question and saying I wouldn't want him in that one.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if we're going to also venture into what episodes Kirk shouldn't have replaced Picard, I'm pretty sure Dathon would've gotten shanked lol. Shaka, when the walls fell.

However, I actually think Kirk might've been as good or handier in Time's Arrow. He's always seemed more comfortable hopping around in the past, trying to work things out, than Picard.

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Episodes that would have been better with Captain Kirk:

[​IMG]

7. Starflight

Starflight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Who Watches The Watchers. Wouldn't have been a better episode (it's one of my favs from TNG as it is), but would have been resolved much quicker and easier as Kirk would have probably just gone down and told the people what was happening straight-up without pissing around and fretting over cultural contamination for 40 minutes.

I'm trying to think of TOS episodes that would have been better with Picard, but quite a lot of them would end up with the Enterprise flying past the planet as Picard sits in the briefing room and lectures the crew on how they can't go messing around with other societies. The Apple, Return of the Archons, possibly A Piece of the Action and Patterns of Force depending on whether or not whatever version of the Prime Directive we're following this week lets us intervene when outside interference has already messed a culture up.

Picard would have also panicked about whether or not the Planet Killer was alive or not and spent half the episode trying to talk to it, guaranteed.

ThankQ likes this.
  8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Given how Gary Mitchell described Kirk's time at the Academy, I rather think him in "Tapestry" would have been pretty boring. Apparently Kirk didn't start having his wild side until TOS.

And even then we tend to overinflate it a bit.

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk shoots Ronin, does Beverly.

There. Fixed Sub-Rosa.

CDP, Phoenix219 and DonIago like this.
  10. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Homeward.

Kirk wouldn't have put up with that atrocious nonsense of how the Prime Directive forbids rescuing any people in the first place, making "cultural contamination" apparently a worse fate than extinction. The rest of the episode (which I found quite enjoyable save for that 'we have to let them die' nonsense) could have played out much the same way, with a failing holodeck and so. Perhaps the conflict between Worf and his brother could have centered upon his rebellious nature by impregnating one of their women (which would be wrong under a proper interprestation of the PD, I suppose).

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  11. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time Squared - shatner acting with shatner scenes
    Genesis - shatner turning into a monkey scenes
    All Good Things - Q destroys humanity after examining Kirk's behavior

Ragitsu likes this.
  12. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I love this thread. I've always wanted a thread to go through TNG episode by episode, analyzing how the TOS crew would have handled it / how it would be rewritten as a TOS episode. (Or, more acurately, as a post TMP Phase II mission.) Encounter at Farpoint would have been the sequel to Squire of Gothos. This is great.

I've heard a rumor it was intended to be a sequel to "A Private Little War," with Kirk. It would have ultimately ended up with him in the 24th century at Shatner's current age, and they were afraid that would overshadow the fledgling TNG too early on. I think it would have been amazing, especially come time for "Unification." Shatner as an Orville-style recurring Admiral on TNG would have been perfect.

DarKush and Spectre Of The Fun like this.
  13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Very few. TNG was a different show, set in a different time with a different cast of characters. Kirk (my favorite Star Trek character) had his day, no need to shoehorn him into another show.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You win.

Ovation and Galileo7 like this.
  15. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Come to think of it, I am curious what decision Kirk would have taken in I, Borg ....

Phoenix219 likes this.
  16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

None

Kirk had his own show. He doesn't need to be risen any more than he already is.

Ragitsu likes this.
  17. Phoenix219

They should all be Kirk. TOS, phase II, Kirk's stint as a deep space station commander, Kirk getting stranded in the Delta Quadrant......

18. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

Shatner in The Inner Light would have been priceless.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  19. Phoenix219

Likewise Chain of Command. Yesterdays Enterprise between TMP era and Archer era!! ;)

The NX gives it's life to unite the 4 races together against the Romulans and founds the federation.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"Captain's Holiday." It's just a faux-Indiana Jones run-and-shoot, done badly, and the Captain bags a babe. Well within Kirk's limits.

That's the only one.

Phoenix219 and tomalak301 like this.