TNG: Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Feb 4, 2017.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Hardcover published in 1995
    Paperback published in November 1996

Plot: Scotty hijacks the Yorktown from the museum as he sets off to rescue his friend Spock who is being held captive by the Romulans. Meanwhile, Admiral McCoy commandeers the USS Enterprise-D to mount his own rescue mission with the blessing of Starfleet. Meanwhile Captain Picard must maintain the peace at all costs.

Review: I'm just starting to read this book, even though I've been wanting to read it for years. It was one of those books where I had wanted to read the book, but just never found it either at the bookstore or library. So I just found it at a used bookstore this past Christmas Eve, and I'm just starting it. It's been a while since I read a Michael Jan Friedman book. Actually as I look back, it's been 12 years since MJF wrote a Trek book, so it's funny how he wrote a book launching TNG following "All Good Things", and another book launching TNG past "Star Trek Nemesis", with 'Death In Winter'.

2. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Scotty stealing the Yorktown is still one of my favorite TrekLit scenes ever.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked this novel and Scotty in being in the novel was one of my favorite parts of the book.

4. tomswift2002

I'm upto Chapter 10, and so far this feels like a TOS-novel, just set in the 24th century. So far Picard and crew have appeared in very brief scenes in the first 150 pages. I'm kind of reminded of some people's views of "Superman 3", where they find that Superman was relegated to more of a co-star role in his own film, with Richard Pryor, who should've been the co-star was the real star. That's what I'm finding of "Crossover"; its marketed as a TNG book, but the TOS characters are really stealing the book.

5. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read this one for the first time last year and was a little disappointed.

Somehow, when most authors put TOS into a TNG setting, they're so fixed on making the original characters look incredibly awesome, the TNG characters come across looking either stupid/inept/stuffy/inexperienced.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember liking this one, but being a little perplexed at Spock's ultra-pacifistic turn.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have dim memories that when this book was announced in the official magazine at the time that they said it would be published under the TOS banner, as I thought that was a cool thing and I was a little disappointed that it wasn't. :)

8. tomswift2002

I just read what must've been the oddest scene in Trek lit ever. Data, Riker and LaForge are in a Romulan outpost, and somehow the Romulans stun all of them, including Data, with Romulan disruptor. Riker and LaForge I could understand, but Data, considering that he got a phaser blast right to the torso in "Power Play" (okay, I realize that in that episode the alien minds were giving Troi and O'Brien the ability to withstand a phaser blast as well, but considering that in other episodes basically needed a plasma overload to knock out Data, and I think phasers had been cast aside originally due to Data's immunity to phaser blasts), I still can't believe that Data could be knocked out by a Romulan disruptor.

9. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ I just watched "A Matter of Time" and one of the characters said that Data could be incapacitated with a Federation phaser set on maximum stun...

10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m a 175 pages in. Really good so far. Loving McCoy in this. You can easily see Deforest saying these lines.
    I also agree Scotty stealing the Yorktown is awesome. That kid, Adam must be important I bet later on (if not I’ll make a STO character which is him).
    It’s also funny that the previous book I read, Probe had Reilly return and in this coincidently, his kid is in it (captaining a galaxy class ship no less).
    I wonder if I can keep this trend going when the next STD novel comes out. Chances are he’ll have a cameo in that.

11. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favorite scene is when Scotty saves Spock's bacon by beaming him up to the Yorktown. Spock had never heard of the events of "Relics" and to find himself in the transporter room of a Constitution class ship facing a man whom he had long presumed dead who shows no sings of aging.......well, it threw him for a major loop.

Also the whole: "I am Spock." thing.

12. thribs

It’s a shame no one said, “I’m Spock, and so’s my wife.” :)

JonnyQuest037 and Jinn like this.
  13. thribs

It’s said that he was shot multiple times. I’m sure that will have an affect on him.