TNG Complete Series Set on DVD 10/2

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by AviTrek, Jun 12, 2007.

1. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TVShowsOnDVD has the scoop on a complete TNG set. No word yet on what is different besides packaging between this and the older set of shrink wrapped season sets. As an owner of that set I hope the only difference is packaging, but I would guess we'll see some new commentaries and special features. I can't imagine they'll be any change in the image quality of the episodes.

2. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this is going to be a simple repackaging of the existing discs into a some kind of new package. Warner is the king of this with West Wing and Friends; Fox has reissued most of their series in slimline cases. It makes sense for Paramount to do the same thing with TNG, it's cash cow. Once the mega sets are released, we'll see the slim line cases in R1. Then they'll start work on DS9, VOY, ENT and TOS.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this is anything like the R2 rerelease, which was much cheaper.

4. benny

Just adding some info...

TV Shows on DVD

New packaging? We knew that.
    The only new info we have is a BONUS DISC with more featurettes. Let me just say, for the record, if this disc in any way includes the original ALL NEW EPISODE trailers, I will personally break the neck of every person involved with this set.

5. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Well I only have season 1 so far (and can't find some seasons in stores) so I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the complete series when it comes out. I hope it has better packaging than those huge sets they have now. If it's like $200 I'll buy it.

6. benny

^ Not a chance. DVD Empire has it discounted to $418 right now with a list price of $530. This is Paramount, remember. They love to rape us with DVD prices.

7. Tomalak

I wouldn't get too excited about those "three featurettes and much more". It's probably just more of the same epk-type stuff that populated the original discs, perhaps looking back on the 20th anniversary.

8. benny

My guess is that they will be the featurettes on the exclusive Best Buy sets. In other words, not much of anything useful. :)

9. Tomalak

I think those were on the R2 DVDs anyway. But it does say "new" featurettes...

10. benny

*smart ass on*

Ohhhhhhhh, three WHOLE brand new featurettes for a series which relaunched a franchise, started a new television phenomenon and kept a roof over Paramount's head when nothing else did??? Golly, gee, P'mount, don't go overboard now.

:rolleyes:

*smart ass off*

11. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Well, I ponied up for the individual seasons last year a little at time as the price was reduced and I'm not buying this stuff again. No freaking way. I don't care if the packaging is ugly on the individual season sets! Ha, ha, ha!

12. Tomalak

Wait for the inevitable HD versions.

:rolleyes:

13. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for the HD versions also.

14. benny

15. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

:eek:At the price. I'll just continue to buy the season sets seperately. It will be the same amount of money but not all at once!

16. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Paramount is insane.

Don't they realize how much more money they'd make if they sold TREK disc sets for a reasonable price? So many more people would be able to afford them, you'd think the results would be at least the same amount of money for Paramount, and a lot of happier fans who'd be even more supportive of the franchise.

17. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They sold the original TNG sets at $100+ for years and people bought them. That's not being insane...that's being smart. They are making plenty of money.

The prices for TNG and the other series got dropped after they'd been on the market for a while and they'd gotten as many takers at that price point as they could expect.

You might not like it, but that is a very smart decision for Paramount.

18. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This should be great !

19. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've still yet to buy the ENT sets due to the price. I've tried a couple of times to get a bargain on Ebay, but I keep getting outbid. I'm not really willing to pay much more than $60/season.

20. Linklinker

Linklinker Lieutenant Red Shirt

Unless this set comes with a portable holosuite, I'm not going to worrry about buying it. I will just buy the TNG sets that are out right now. Since they are down to the price other tv show seasons usually go for.