tng blueprinting WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by AnyStar, Nov 9, 2009.

1. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

well, i did end up making a start of a 2d 5-view set of the Ent-D. its going pretty fast too, only started the file yesterday afternoon!

this part's about 95% done, but i'm finished for the day :rommie:

i'm basing the aztez/paint scheme on photos from the Christies auction, does anyone have any pics as good as those but of the 6 footer??? i'd like to be able to do a set for each.

[​IMG]

edit: changed pic to thumbnail, it was just way too dam big

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Wow. What are you making this in?

3. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i use AutoCAD. if i ever extend it to 3d i'll be using Max

4. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

oh, ok.

5. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

WOW... this is very impressive! This is gonna be a WIP I'll be watching! :)

6. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

as i have been going through all these photos today i realized that i AM in fact detailing this based on the bigger model. for some reason i had the impression that those images were of the smaller version built later in the series.

it seems i have very few images of the smaller model, i'll have to do some digging and see what i cant turn up!

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now thats a awesome WIP :) :techman:

8. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

here's todays progress. I finished off the nacelles, and got started on the primary geometry for the rest today

[​IMG]

i dont know what it is about that "turtle shell" 2ndary part, but i've always hated re-creating it. there's a couple parts of you you just have to "fudge in" or else it just looks wrong...

9. BolianAuthor

VERY nice! If you need ANY close-up references of the 6-foot model, PM me, and it shall be done. :)

10. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

oh that great work .. great design that I like over the 1701-E ..all though a great design in its-self. but the 1701-D has a quality I really like.

11. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

it seems i cant utilize the PM's yet, i'm only 1/2 way to a 50 post-count! i'd love to see what you have though, can never get enough model refs!!! :guffaw: my Trek folder alone in my model archive is already at 3.7g........

i think the refit will always be my favorite, but the D is a very close second. its a shame that the photographers disliked it so much, i always thought there was so much room for growth of the design past just the nebula variants.

12. BolianAuthor

Feel free to email me, AnyStar. You can also reach me on AIM at almost any time of the day and evening. My contact info is below:

spyrou06@gmail.com (email)

NebulaClassGuy (AIM handle)

13. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i appreciate your offer, email sent!

also it seems my PM function has been enabled now too! yay!:bolian:

edit: later on for todays update, i think i'll be working on either a closeup detail set of decks 1-2, or i'll get started on the saucer aztec... (i'll probably start with one, get frustrated, and change to the other-LOL)

14. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you can ever pick up this book:

[​IMG]

^ You'll have all sorts of information and diagrams to go by. I have this myself, but since I got a new computer with vista, my printer/scanner doesn't install (too old I guess)

15. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i've never gotten my hands on that one yet, in fact ive never actually paid much attention to the discussions, etc., of the inner workings of the D. TMP era stuff has always been my forte.

however today i'm running into a dilemna, i began slicing in decks today in order to start roughing in windows... at first i was discovering the 10-forward was going to be 12-forward!!! so i worked in another foot into my deck heights, however this only reduces it to deck 11.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how to proceed, i cant squeeze my saucer any narrower, it looks too squat to begin with :brickwall:.

so far my drawing is based on the whitefire/sternback deck plans, detailed from the 6' model... this might be changing to all based on the miniature soon...

16. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

well, since that post i've been studying the various cutaway diagrams of galaxy and nebula ships. it seems on average (even using the split-level deck 2) most reflect the lower rim of the saucer as in fact deck 11.

any ideas or suggestions as to try to modify/tweak it? or just leave it the hell alone!!! lol

17. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't really fit Ten-Forward into either the six or four foot models, as Bernd points out.

I wouldn't fret too much over this. Just nudge and tweak details as you see fit to make everything look "right"

18. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i remember reading that article on EAS in the past, my opinion on it differs slightly however. Bernd bases his theory on the interior layout on all the windows of the saucer being on a floor-to-ceiling layout spaced equally among the decks, but because of the curvature of the saucer, probably all but the lowest 2 decks (not counting the underside deck "supposed deck 10") these ports would in fact be skylights, not windows.

i'll work the effect into my drawing and post more on it later!

19. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

I have not made any design changes yet, saucer shape is still based on the blueprints, and using the internal deck layout from my previous post, and if there were a window down the centerline (side view) this is how it would look

[​IMG]

I would place the windows a little differently (still using the skylight format), but that is how they would line up compared to the plans. and just for giggles: here's how everything lines up so far, with colors contrasted and the image layers on

[​IMG]

20. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

according to starfleet tradition, "10-forward" is not actually on deck 10 of a starship. the name is a prank, targeted at new members of the ship's complement. the tradition dates back at least to the twentieth century, when senior members of a school would send sophomores to the "pool" on the "fourth floor" of the building, typically resulting in their being locked on the roof for the weekend. the modern tradition is comparitively tame, particularly since the enactment of starfleet rule 2298.2340-3, prohibiting airlocks on the actual tenth deck of a starship.