TMP/TNG Theme

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Carpathia86, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Carpathia86

Carpathia86 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey fellow trekkies,
    I'm curious to know how many of you are fans of Jerry Goldsmith's theme from TMP/TNG? Personally, it's one of my favorite songs of all time, and I collect as many different versions of it that I can.

Admiral Archer, Markonian and Lance like this.
  2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a powerful piece of music. I prefer the later versions to the version used on TMP itself (the later versions, even those by Goldsmith himself, incorporate a bridge from the TOS theme at the start). My favorite is the one used on Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I'm of the undetstanding that Goldsmith's original take on TMP's score was much more 18th century naval ships in space, more self consciously like something heard in a Horatio Hornblower movie. He thought it was somewhat weak in execution though, it made an already slow paced movie feel even slower, and decided to up the tempo a little and make it more rousing in a style somewhat like John Philip Sousa. The end result is the theme we're familiar with :)

RedAlert, Markonian and Carpathia86 like this.
  3. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

That alternate theme is on YouTube, or at least it used to be. It’s a meandering, somewhat irresolute melody; it shares more with his score for In Harm’s Way than what would become the stately TMP theme.

Lance likes this.
  4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And while we're considering alternative themes, it's worth remembering McCarthy's original take for TNG was this. The decision to re-use Goldsmith instead was a wise one. ;)

drt, Rahul, SpocksOddSocks and 2 others like this.
  5. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Oy.

Star Trek: now with ruffles and flourishes.

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the theme as presented in TMP, but the TNG version was garbage. It sounds like a military parade.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. However, I do like military band music*. But, in the case of TNG the faster tempo does not at all suit the music, IMO.

* - especially anything with bagpipes.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  8. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's very Galaxy Quest.

urbandefault likes this.
  9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's an alright piece of music. Though to be honest, TWOK is the Trek movie with the best music, IMO. As for the TV series, I prefer the opening themes of DS9 and Voyager over TNG.

Kilana2 likes this.
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love it! IMO I feel like it's even the kind of official theme of the entire Star Trek Franchise. I like it even better than the more Iconic "TOS" theme. It always makes me feel nostigic and like I am back in the early to mid-90's when I hear it, which is when I became a Trek fan.

Jason

RedAlert likes this.
  11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

That really is awful.

The TMP/TNG theme is my favorite theme in the franchise.

12. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

My thoughts on the TMP/TNG theme?

Best. Theme. EVER. :)

Will be sorely disappointed if the motif isn't featured at least a few times in the new Picard show. It shouldn't be Picard's theme necessarily (since it's pretty obviously been established as the theme for the Enterprise herself) but at certain key moments, it could be used to powerful effect, to remind us where we are, where we came from, and where we are heading.

13. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

This sounds too much like “Superman: The Movie”

14. Carpathia86

15. Carpathia86

Also, I do tend to collect many different versions of the theme song...whatever Trek film or season of TNG they might be. Personally, I think the First Contact version is my favorite. Also, you'd be amazed at all the different videos there are on YouTube of people performing it on various instruments.

16. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Perfect, like John Williams did for Superman The Movie.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the version used in First Contact (as well as Insurrection and Nemesis) is just the arrangement Goldsmith created for The Final Frontier.

GNDN18 likes this.
  18. Carpathia86

Exactly. The movie themes do a great job of telling the story of their respective movies.

19. Carpathia86

That may be the case, but they all sound quite different from each other. For example, the end title from Insurrection has noticeably more echo than any of the others. The end title from Nemesis had a markedly slower tempo. But then again, my wife said she can't hear ANY difference between the versions, and she's the most musical of our household.

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Kind of sounds a bit like it was the inspiration behind the Orville's theme.

F. King Daniel and Lance like this.