TMP color test

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by A beaker full of death, May 5, 2017.

1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been done before, but I wanted to try my hand at it. I like the result. Would have been interesting to see on screen.
    [​IMG]

TOMFAN, Galileo7, Orac and 4 others like this.
  2. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

That's interesting. I would've preferred Kirk's shirt to just be gold like the others, though. If they had gone that route it would have been the closest thing to an attempt to "update" the classic TOS uniforms prior to Star Trek 09.

MrBnetV likes this.
  3. MrBnetV

MrBnetV Ensign Red Shirt

Wow...that certainly puts a new spin on this. I really enjoy the look of TMP with its cold steeliness, but as a design these recolored uniforms are fantastic! I imagine the cold and metallic set designs would require some color accents for these uniforms to not stand out against them. Well done!

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Very nice.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Very interesting idea! I went and tried to desaturate the colors a bit to come closer to the TOS color scheme. Here's the result:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why Scotty/Doohan is looking so pissed in this image? :lol:

6. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Majel Barrett standing on a box or something?

7. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

IMO, the desaturated version looks much better. I'd also prefer Uhura in the trousers same as the guys, it's one of two things (other than a slightly brighter pallete, that I prefer about the Cage/WNMHGB uniforms.

8. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing I hate about TMP is the variety of uniforms; doesn't make sense to me. It looks like almost every person in the photo has a different uniform. I can't imagine being on a modern navel vessel with a crew with such a variety in the uniforms.

Good work on the desaturated version

DamarsKanar, urbandefault and Pauln6 like this.
  9. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

You're not wrong about the variety. The flat collar and short-sleeved versions are fine, as is the Flag Officer jacket (which could potentially be worn over the short sleeved version, however the flared collar by Bones and Chief DiFalco is ridiculously 70s and at least one - if not both - of the jumpsuit and the wrap-around tunic and black shirt versions are redundant.

Pauln6 likes this.
  10. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks awesome, in both forms! The first one is more lively to look at, though the second one is definitely more realistic with the hues.

I kinda wish they did that in TMP for real, but after the technicolor rainbow that was new to TV in the mid-60s, I understand why they went with the (muted pastels meets pajamas meets Studio 54) uniforms' design. Their costuming flub also led to the gorgeous and concentrated TWOK movie outfits that don't readily reveal the time period in which they're filmed in, I never cared for the red/gold/blue motif in TNG onward but I do have to admit the color scheme is iconic so it made sense for TNG to return to the motif...

11. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

Why did they cut Ilia off at the knees? Framed poorly.
    And the desaturated does not look more like the series.

12. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't that long ago historically that naval officers had over a dozen choices of different uniforms styles, going back to the age of sail probably more so.

13. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Majel Barrett and Grace Lee Whitney are likely both on boxes. This was probably done so that the dozen or so photographers present could get everyone's face in their respective pictures.

14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The problem with trying to make the TMP uniforms look more like TOS is mostly in the collar area. You get the color back but you don't have the black collar. The lack of a black collar feels most problematic on gold/avocado because it's the closest to a skin-tone, so the tunic just sort of blends into the skin. This is probably the main problem I have with the Cage/WNMHGB uniforms. They aren't bad but the turtleneck being the same color as the tunic doesn't provide the same contrasty dividing line.

15. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given the conversation here, I thought I'd share this image which I reworked to transform a shot from TMP into something that would have been closer to the Phase II color scheme if the TV show had gone into production. Of course the aspect ratio is all wrong for TV and Kirk's shirt is a bit too bright but it was a fun experiment nonetheless.

[​IMG]

16. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disagree - a modern Aircraft Carrier has different crew levels wearing different types of uni's. (*source - JAG, so stuff may have changed)
    The pilots/FO's wear flightsuits or pilot uni's; deck crew wears different colored vests, and ship crew (vs flight/"ground" crew) wear the "khakis" (i think it's blue now).

Although the TOS movies got a bit carried away with that.

17. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Now, to be fair, this was in the transition period to the NWU camo uniform, so you have blue coveralls mixed with NWU, and it's a carrier so you have the colored flight deck jerseys. But still, I don't feel like it's beyond imagination.

The collars are really not that big. McCoy's did have a big '70s spread collar that you can see in some early photos, but they trimmed it down before shooting.

Well, I don't see it, I think the WOK uniforms look at least as '80s-dated as TMP uniforms do '70s.

They still do but they don't have much of a choice of when to wear it. Every ship and base will have a plan of the day that tells everyone what uniform to wear. It used to be there was one uniform of the day for office work, quarterdeck watches and official business, and one for getting your hands dirty, and the working uniform was supposed to be kept out of public view. The navy used to be really fussy about that, I had a buddy who almost went to XO's mast because he rode to work in dungarees (with peacoat). If he had shown up at the gate that way, no problem, but someone saw him getting off the bus, which was in public and that was a no-no. I have read of Marine helo pilots in Vietnam flying troops around all day, landing back on the gator-freighter offshore for the evening and being told they couldn't be served dinner because they were in flight suits and not the uniform of the day.

Now with the blueberry camo and coveralls I think that kind of stuff has been relaxed considerably. I've seen admirals getting their pictures taken in public wearing flight bags, which would have been inconceivable 25 years ago.

In the age of sail there were generally two uniforms: full dress with all the fancy trim and undress which was basically the same style coat but plain. The proliferation of officer uniforms started in the late 1800s and peaked around WW1.

Chaos Descending and Galileo7 like this.
  18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the bridge looked like that, I think it would have made a big difference with visual continuity with the series.

Kor

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Excellent.:techman: The color changes are a perfect continuity from TOS to TMP.

20. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess Sulu was taking the photo? ;)