Title of Seekers 3 now up

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite curious about that one really. The first Seeker novel was amazing, the second one dragged a bit. So I'm curious as to what this will do.

Does anyone know if parts 3 and 4 will be one story again, like the first two novels?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have my doubts. Parts 1 and 2 were released sequentially, with Part 1 being released July 2014 and Part 2 in August. Part 3 will be released in July 2015, and Amazon already lists the next Voyager novel as being the release for August.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I seem to recall it being said that the books after the first two would be more standalone.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I also remember this. I believe David Mack is the one who told us when the series first started that 1 and 2 were directly connected, but 3 and 4 were their own stories. And that more 2 part stories are possible down the line.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, ok. I like that more really. THe standalones that is.

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^I saw this yesterday, as well. More Terrell please!

--Sran

8. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Seekers #3 - Long Shot will be a standalone adventure for the Sagittarius crew.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman: I like Captain Terrell and sagitarius crew having their own adventure.I hope there will bfuture adventures after the next 2 Seerkers books come out.

10. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I found the blurb for Long Shot on the Trek Collective: http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2014/11/book-bits-new-seekers-and-ds9-blurbs.html

11. Mudang Harada

Mudang Harada Lieutenant Commander

How is Terrell supposed to look like at this point?

12. Christopher

Presumably the way Paul Winfield looked in the late '60s/early '70s.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Here's a photo of Paul Winfield from a 1969 film:

[​IMG]

--Sran

14. David Mack

Yeah, that's about right (but subtract the mustache).

15. Mudang Harada

I hope we will see him like that on a cover.

16. David Mack

It's unlikely. That would entail acquiring rights to use a particular likeness of Mr. Winfield, which would entail obtaining permission from (and possibly paying money to) his estate, as well as to the copyright owner of whatever image was used as reference.

17. Mudang Harada

So the guy played ''Lobot'' got paid when his face was on the comic cover?

Or you guys can only use the likeness he had when he did Trek?(Terrell likeness)

18. David Mack

^ The latter. For instance, the guy who played "Lobot," as you put it, probably signed a general release for the use of his likeness in connection with the property.

A more established actor such as Paul Winfield might have had a clause in his contract that gave him more control over the use of his likeness from stills and production photos taken on the set of Star Trek II. Or maybe he gave a blanket release. It varies.

But the photo of him from an earlier era, on a different show or movie, belongs to whatever entity either produced it or bought out the rights to that image. Simon & Schuster can't use it as a photo reference for Paul Winfield's likeness on a Star Trek book or comic book unless they first secure permission from the copyright owner of the photo, and then, depending on what rights Mr. Winfield or his estate granted to the copyright owner, they might need to obtain permission from the estate of Paul Winfield to use that likeness for commercial purposes — a negotiation that is also likely to cost money.

The principal cast of the various Star Trek series have varying degrees of control over their likeness in the books, comics, and other licensed materials. Some have more, some have less, others have none. A few have pre-approved a limited selection of images in the CBS photo library for such use. Others insist on vetting every use. And so on.

19. Christopher

^Which is why so many Trek novel/e-book covers these days focus on ships and space scenes and such rather than faces. No need to deal with the likeness-approval hassles.

20. Captain Clark Terrell

^Do the same legal considerations apply for artist renderings? If, for example, someone drew a picture of Paul Winfield and used that as a novel's cover, would he be required to seek permission from Mr. Winfield's estate?

--Sran