Time Travel

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SeamusShameless, Sep 29, 2007.

1. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

With the recent plot rumors attatched to the Karl Urban rumor making the whole time travel plot look more and more like a possibility, is anyone else starting to warm up to it? I think if done correctly, time travel can work just as well as anything else. Time travel may have become cliche amongst fans as of late, but to be honest, a lot of fans consider Star Trek cliche as of late. Personally, I'm up for a Romulan time travel movie... if done correctly. :vulcan:

2. Kokomo

Kokomo Commander Red Shirt

I am right behind you! I will admit that when I first heard the rumor that the Romulans were going to go back in time to kill Kirk, I thought it was a dumb idea, but now I feel much differently. If the plot revolves around the Romulans trying to destroy Earth, that could be awesome! It could be epic, powerful and full of action - I am actually really, really excited if this turns out to be true. I love everything that I am hearing about casting and cannot wait to see this movie :thumbsup:

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The idea is still beyond stupid. So the Romulans want to rid themselves of the Federation, and apparently the've run out of ways to do it in the 24th century. So the resort to time travel. And so they plot to destroy Earth in the 23rd century. Wouldn't it make more sense to go to the 22nd century, just before the Federation was founded? You know, possibly help the Romulans of the era win the Romulan War? Or for that matter go back even further, to a time before Earth had interstellar capabilities and destroy it then? You know, when humans couldn't possibly mount a defense?

And honsetly now, destroying Earth in the past, that just reeks of the whole Xindi affair in Enterprise's third season. Might as well just throw in Alien Nazis at the end.

4. SeamusShameless

There's been no indication that the Romulan government (which didn't even exist at the end of Nemesis) is behind the ploy. In fact, at the end of that film, the prospect for peace looked good. For all we know, the villain of the story is a renegade Romulan admiral who refuses to accept Romulan/Federation peace and/or Vulcan/Romulan Reunification.

5. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

After the whole Temporal Cold War thing, I wish that they would just leave time travel alone in the Trekverse. I know it sounds dramatic and important but the truth is that for me it just seems like a cop out because Trek has only done it well in a couple of occassions.

I'd be happier if the new movie was just a cinematic version of Balance of Terror...

6. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. I've got no problems with time travel, it's just been used too much in Trek as of late.

Please people. Give us a conventional story. It is possible.

7. SeamusShameless

Doctor Who has done time travel for 45 years and no one is tired of that yet.

8. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

If they could do the thing without the lame time travel, I could almost accept it. Maybe some sort of universal thread that just rips up time. Something different.

9. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, no! Time travel again!
    I'd be more mad if they showed people going from one planet to another on a spaceship. It's been done to death...

Seriously, Time travel is just a plot device like any other. It has little influence on whether the movie turns out good or not.
    I can imagine people complaining before FC came out:
    "But we already had time travel on the last movie!", "What? Again with the Borg?"

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The early plot leaks for TWOK were dreadful - at least, in the opinions of the trekkies I knew at the time.

When the film was released it was clear that the leaks, while somewhat accurate, were distorted enough and so lacking in detail as to be misleading.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

But time travel was a fundamental aspect of the show. Complaining about time travel in Dr. Who would be like if they make "Back to the Future, Part IV" and bitching that Marty and Doc are going to travel through time again.

With Trek, there are so many more things they can do as plot devices. The show is called "Star Trek." Not "Time Trek."

All that being said, time travel or not, I am still highly anticipating this movie and will eagerly be there on opening week. :D

12. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

If I may ask, what news has made the time travel aspect more and more likely?

The two more successful Trek films, IV and First Contact, had time travel, so I can't say I'd be too shocked if they went that route. If they do I hope they find a way of pulling it off that doesn't sound as lame these early leaks indicate. Personally, I'm holding out hope that these rumors are just rumors that will be dispelled.

13. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

Bang on there. The time thing in Doctor Who is how you get from place to place and is integral to the story since you're going through time and space. When you get Star Trek time travel stories, it's usually to Earth, I cringe even harder when it's present day Earth to do a bunch of cheap gags about us in our more 'primitive' state.

Basically the it's Star Trek, not Time Trek cuts to the heart of the matter for me.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same reaction to this as when I heard ENT was including a major time-travel-war-type arc: time travel is HARD to do well in a way we haven't seen a million times before. ENT sure blew it bigtime, but then again it had the additional burden of doing time travel is a long, effectively serialized format. Maybe JJ can pull it off in 2 1/2 hrs, but I've seen time travel done well so rarely, and badly/cliched-ly so often, that I'm not optimistic.

That could work. Maybe simpler is better?

15. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time travel, huh? One word: Ugh.

16. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a point I've been attempting to make. Moriarty's reguration of was umm very garbled and laced with his own speculations but it was never to clear what was what. We shouldn't judge anything on that itself - it totally lacks context but people are leaping to conclusions anyhow.

Personally I don't mind time travel, didn't bother me in Enterprise either, they actually didn't focus enough on that aspect during the shows run.

May I see that script you got? Otherwise - nice bits of projections on your part but nothing of substance here.

Sharr

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll reserve judgment. But if the rumors were true, this movie might have the potential to wrap up the TWC, give us a little Earth-Romulan War, while serving to 'reboot' the franchise all in one swell swoop.

18. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time travel is, to put it simply, lazy plotting and writing. Trek is rife with examples, but as far as the motion picture franchise is concerned, we’ve already done time travel in TSFS, Generations, and First Contact.

I can’t believe they’d actually consider this when trying desperately to breath new life back into the Star Trek name.

Could it be done and done well? Sure, but the odds are against it. These time travel concepts are often littered with plot holes big enough to fly a Borg cube through. I sincerely hope this is just unsubstantiated rumor, and won’t come to pass.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And why not? "Star Trek's" time travel stories have, over all, been the most successful of the Franchise. :cool:

You want "lazy writing?" Try a space war story.

20. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’d argue that for each Yesterday’s Enterprise or The Voyage Home there’s been a Time’s Arrow or Generations. As I stated, I’m not saying that it couldn’t be done well, but it strikes me as being a gamble when they’re trying to re-invigorate the franchise. You’re already casting new actors into the roles of beloved archetypes, so Paramount’s on thin ice already. If the writers end up creating some overly intricate time travel scheme Swiss-cheezed with plot holes, it’s only going to make the end result a confused mess, and may well prove the final nail in Star Trek’s coffin.