Poll Thoughts on Ben Cumcumbers as Khan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lilia, Jul 31, 2017.

?

What did you think of Ben as Khan?

1. He was freaking amazing! 18/10

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. He was good!

29 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. I think his performance was just okay.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. He was trash. Delete yourself if you liked him.

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. Ben's the reason I haven't seen the film, so...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lilia

Lilia Ensign Red Shirt

Besides the whitewashing of the character, I thought he was THE best choice for the role in the JJ Abrams universe. The voice, the poise, the sheer acting strength he showed as Khan rightfully put him on the American and international movie map and I'm glad they cast him. If it wasn't for this movie (and Tumblr) I wouldn't have been introduced to Ben's version of Sherlock or any other parts of his filmography.

And that voice? :bolian:

He was definitely the best actor JJ's verse has seen. I remember watching the BTS clips and outtakes of ITD and it was clear even some of the other cast members were a little in awe of Ben's talent too, because I think Simon Pegg said (paraphrasing) as Khan he's sleek, focused, and lethal, but as himself he's a klutz :lol: A few other people said something along those same lines too!

What are your thoughts on Ben as Khan?

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cumberbatch is always amazing. I just wish they'd given Khan a tiny bit more wit. He was so serious for the entire movie (while admittedly always in very serious circumstances)

Marvel missed the boat in Doctor Strange - making the character British would have made zero difference to anything except for allowing him to use his normal voice, which is a superpower unto itself.

Mad Jack Wolfe and Lilia like this.
  3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I'm a big fan of Cumberbatch, but as Khan he did nothing for me. I'm not necessarily sure it's his performance, though, as he's usually great. I think the problem lies with the script, which doesn't do a well-enough job of making him as menacing and formidable as Montalban-Khan was in The Wrath or Space Seed. The original had such a larger-than-life quality, which I think is really hard to recapture.

mos6507, Nyotarules and Lilia like this.
  4. oberth127

oberth127 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Really dislike that dude but to be fair I thought he did pretty good as Khan.

5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they bring him back, we should see more unfrozen Augments - perhaps Khan's old enemy is unfrozen and they have to trust him one more time. Maybe he'll finally find MacGivers, too.

6. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

His performance great, IMHO. I kind of feel like it would have been better received had he been playing a new character though. It's been forever since I've seen the season 4 ENT episodes with the Augments, but I'm thinking something close to that.

Lilia likes this.
  7. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I liked him but did NOT like the movie

Lilia likes this.
  8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Loved the movie and his performance. My favourite of all Trek movies.

JKM, Balok's Decoy, MFB and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lilia

Lilia Ensign Red Shirt

May I ask why?

I used to be a super-fan of his until that god awful Oscar campaign. That made me see him in a very different light.

Not sure if this is how I tag you, but @Laura Cynthia Chambers, I don't think Ben will ever go back to the Trek movies unless his career takes a dip (or a dive). He doesn't strike me as someone who will keep going back to a project unless it's something like Sherlock (which he just uses as backup now) or Marvel.

@King Daniel Beyond Now that you've said it...I have to agree. Khan in this verse was very straight-arrow and not at all humorous, but it's understandable given the script and the environments the characters were thrown into. The script in the JJ movies aren't ever really good. In fact the first movie was so forgettable that my mother had to remind me we saw it together. I honestly thought ITD was the first JJ Trek I'd seen! :lol: I believe if it were not for Ben (and Simon Pegg) I would have forgotten ITD too.

10. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only aspect of STID I found genuinely funny was how overmatched Chris Pine was when he had to share a scene with Cumberbatch, especially the brig scene. Pine could bluster through a page of dialogue only to be out-acted by a thoughtful grunt from Cumberbatch.

Lilia likes this.
  11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I disagree. Pine is a fine actor (see Hell or High Water). Not saying they're equally talented but much of what an actor does is at the behest of the direction he's given. I'd chalk up much, though not all, of what some see as "overmatched" to the director's wishes.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

BC is one of my favorite contemporary actors.

I enjoy STID immensely, completely on the basis of his performance, as I find the story itself rather messy.

Kor

Lilia likes this.
  13. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

I thought he was amazing. I agree with the OP that the whitewashing thing is problematic. But Cumberbatch killed it in that role. He exuded a barely contained fury that was so compelling.

Lilia likes this.
  14. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can always hope for a comic return using my idea or something (they did a four issue miniseries telling his testimony in court). Read it in his voice in your head.

Lilia likes this.
  15. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was generic bad guy that punches really hard and talks in a deep voice.

It's not really Cumberbatch's fault, it was more so a problem of poor writing/directing/casting.

mos6507 likes this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved his performance as Khan, and his interplay with Admiral Marcus, Kirk and Spock. There was such a menace to him, very much a "deal with the devil" vibe.

I enjoy ST ID, and even if I think using Khan was unnecessary as a story point, I still think Ben's acting is perfect for the role.

17. Lilia

Lilia Ensign Red Shirt

10/10 for this post!

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much like Shatner and Montalban.

BillJ and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I find BenCum pretty overrated to be honest. He's fine a lot of the time, but I've also thought his Khan and Strange were pretty average. (The latter mostly due to his weakness with accents.) The quieter Khan moments were okay, but I really didn't dig his underbite-and-massive-over-enunciation style.

Lilia likes this.
  20. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

NO ship should GO DOWN withOUT her CAP-TAIN.

Lilia likes this.