This may be old news, but...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by broberfett, Aug 16, 2007.

1. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
  2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I don't think this is too unexpected. Haven't we known for some time that Quantum Mechanics doesn't quite line up with Relativity?

3. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    Yes, but I've seen so many science types act like this is the one definite truth of existence and aliens could never get here and we are stuck near Earth forever. They are always quite arrogant about it. Now if the story proves true they will say,"I knew it all along." Pricks

4. Earl

Earl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If read about that...

I think the "Light Barrier" is just like the "Sound Barrier" it's only a matter of time before is broken by a person in a machine.

I remember as a kid the discussions about how man and machine would be destroyed if they went faster the sound.

I expect my Great Grand Children will be hearing that about the "Light Barrier"

5. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Wow. Axe to grind much?

I'm not surprised that they've gotten photons to do something like that. Back in the early 90s, I was reading articles in Sci Am about twin particles which seemed to communicate instantaneously across great distances.

I'm not sure how it translates into people moving faster than light.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well I don't know much about physics or quantum mechanics but I've always found it strange that we take Einstein's Theory of Relativity as the last word on the subject of moving faster than the speed of light. I agree that it's pretty arrogant to think we've got it all worked out and believe that one day we will find a way around the speed of light.

7. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Any reason "theory" is in italics?

8. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

I thought it the theory goes, "Nothing can travel faster or at the speed of light that is bigger than an atom". Sub-atomic particles shouldn't have a problem breaking the speed barrier.

So why are people say that Einstein's theory has been proven wrong?

9. Ariadne

Ariadne Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Where are you getting the 'bigger then an atom' stipulation from?

There's no official cut-off at which quantum mechanics stops applying, but since it's based on probability, and probabilities tend to average out once you get large numbers of things, macroscopic objects tend to act according to the "usual" laws of physics.

10. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's what Ars says on the subject.

In short, nothing about this experiment violated relativity as we know it... and neither did it expose any new results that hadn't been observed before.

11. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

A part of the article says that travelling faster than the speed of light would mean you arrived somewhere before you even left which is wrong isnt it? I thought you would just apear to arrive somewhere before you set off because to an observer the light wouldnt have reached there eye fast enough.
    :confused: :wtf:

12. Sigma7

Sigma7 Ensign Newbie

Actually, nothing that has mass can travel faster than light. Sub-atomic particles have mass, thus they are also subject to relativity. It was a problem faced by the early particle accelerators. As energies go beyond 10 MeV, the mass of the particles begins to noticeably increase, and eventually they slow down and fall out of synchonization with the alternation of polarity. It becomes necessary to produce the particles in bursts rather than a steady stream so that the alternation can be adjusted downward to maintain pace with the increasingly massive particles.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except for tachyons, which *must* travel FTL.

14. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

If they exist ;)

15. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

From a science book with A LOT of spelling errors. :p

16. Geoff

Geoff Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, since a tachyon's mass squared is a negative number, its actual mass must be an imaginary number.

Therefore, perhaps one should say nothing with real mass can travel faster than light.