Things you remember from when you were younger?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gingerbread Demon, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Just a fun thread to post memories that you have never forgotten.

What things do you remember from when you were younger?

For me it was

Family vacations, we did a few of those with my immediate family and another relative or two and their families. Was fun actually thinking back on it and not nearly as boring and meh as when I was actually younger. Looking back on it it was indeed fun, despite me not liking being dragged along to these things.

The Airpot. Anyone remember these? It was like a huge thermos you could put drinks into and it had a button on the top and spout and you could pour drinks out of it and they'd stay hot for ages and ages. Or you could put cold drinks in there too.

Come on join in.

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Lime-flavored Starburst fruit chews. They used to have those instead of cherry.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They just re-released those near us as a special limited time edition. The lime ones were my favourite.

4. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

When I was a kid I went to an older lady who was a friend of my father’s on a regular basis where I was allowed to do everything I wanted. Did I want to play soccer in her apartment? Sure, go ahead. I wanted a pillow fight? She joined me, no problem. Did I want to go with her to the grocery store and have her buy ALL the candy and junk food stuff I loved? Sure. (My mother was always furious when I got home because I usually ended up feeling horrible because I did not only get all the candy I wanted, I also ATE it all and my stomach really didn’t agree with some of the rather wild food combinations.)

She always kept an eye on me of course, it was not a “just do what you want and STFU” thing. And guess what, I never broke A SINGLE THING in her house. I always made sure not to because I felt I had to honor the trust she was placing in me by letting me do whatever I wanted. I so looked forward to visiting her. It was like going to paradise. She lived in a very old house that had a very creepy attic and basement and I loved exploring those places when I wasn’t busy with doing all kinds of other stuff a kid does (too many to list here).

We kinda lost track of each over once I got older because of issues my parents had with each other (she sided with my father because she was his friend) and I didn’t know whether she’d still be okay with seeing me so I didn’t visit her anymore. However, a few years ago I heard she had had a bad fall down the stairs in her house - they were nasty stairs I nearly fell down myself as a kid every single time I used them, you REALLY had to be careful - and was put into a nursing home afterwards because she couldn’t stay on her own anymore, and I knew I had to go and see her, no matter what, so I did. She didn’t remember me right away (she was almost 90 and her mind had started to kinda fade) but when I dropped a few names and memories she suddenly remembered and hugged me and started to talk about things she had taught me and how she had always enjoyed our time together. A few weeks after my visit she died. I was so sad but also glad I had gone to see her and gotten the chance to talk to her one last time AND thank her for being such a beacon of light in an otherwise very dark childhood.

plynch, KimMH, publiusr and 7 others like this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

OH that's a really cool story thanks for sharing.

MrPicard likes this.
  6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Space food sticks. Some thought they tasted like chocolate sawdust—but I loved them better than tootsie rolls waxyness

Ice cream sticks were plastic in the’70s...some of them were.

I seem to remember a comet sinking behind the horizon then, but sun colored. A slow fireball.

As I get older, I doubt my memories.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember having this friend when I was kid who had a wart on his leg I kept just wanting to touch it. This was years before I knew I had OCD so it's possible that was OCD back then and just wasn't aware. I also remember the time my grandma had to put a suppository inside my butt and I didn't exactly make it easy. She had to basically chase me all over the room and then I tried to make a run for the door but she caught me and basically had to do it while I was squirming and trying to get free only a inch away from getting outside.

Jason

8. Gingerbread Demon

They were made by Whitewings and they were bloody awful....... I remember those.

9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

the weather was different. Back then, in July/August ist used to be about 30°C and every afternoon at 5 pm there used to be a thunderstorm. We had wooden roll-shutters that had a hinge so that you could push them out at an angle. We kids used to sit under this "tent" on the kitchen sill and hold our feet out in the rain :) Sometimes mom joined us.

Velocity and Gary Mitchell like this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

You know I do remember that this time of year the weather was a lot different to what it is now.. The days were much nicer.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Spontaneously phoning a friend and inviting him over to play. No need for scheduled "play dates" in those days.

Building and displaying plastic models, and then staging fiery crashes to dispose of them when I got tired of looking at them.

My dear Aunt Selma who wasn't really an aunt; she was my great-uncle's wife's sister. She was a widow who never remarried and was always very close to our family. She was a sort of surrogate grandma to my brother and me -- she took us on weekend outings, spoiled us, did all the grandmotherly things. She loved to gamble and visited Las Vegas three or four times a year. Oh, and she liked her Scotch.

I thought Space Food Sticks looked like square dog turds -- and didn't taste a whole lot better.

12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

No smartphones, no (a)social media, you indeed called someone or hopped on the moped to visit a friend, LAN gaming in the attic of a friend, we built a small gaming network there playing Ultimate DOOM, Redneck Rampage, Unreal Tournament (1999 GOTY Edition)
    The A-Team was new, Knight Rider, Streethawk, Blue Thunder, Airwolf and Miami Vice was really cool to watch back then, I was a kid, of course things were a lot better back then, much less complicated, more humane.

13. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Tar melting on the roads as a result of the guaranteed hot sun in Summer
    Scooby Doo on telly after getting in from school
    Out playing football every night

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Carnation Breakfast Bars :drool:

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

We have been moving stuff around the house, as we're getting ready to redo the floors, so we're boxing things up. I found this old book that I remember from my childhood. It's an old Mother Goose collection-all the old nursery rhymes, etc. It was published in 1969--I think I have a photo somewhere of me and my sisters, all in bed while Mom read the book to us. Apparently, the book is still for sale--found it on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it's not exactly the same, as the scenes of crying children getting spanked by the Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe don't go over so well anymore. :lol:

There's some beautiful artwork in this book--I have very clear memories of the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Choose Your Own Adventure books

MrPicard and auntiehill like this.
  17. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Square? I remember them as being cylinder shaped. Tasted ok, too. Maybe different types were manufactured.
    We used to play outside until long after dark. My parents had no idea where we were, but when my dad whistled we had better skedaddle home. We'd walk miles by ourselves to get to the store that sold penny candy so we could blow our allowances on it.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

I had all the cars from Miami Vice. Model kits were better quality back then.

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The ones I remember were squarish with rounded edges.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of excellent quality kits from Polar Lights and Moebius these days. Of course, today it's much more of a niche hobby for adults. Kids just aren't into building models like we were 40 or 50 years ago.

20. Gingerbread Demon

Quite true. But I remember building the Ferrari Testarosa from Miami Vice and it turned out quite the lovely model. I had help with painting and stuff and it was really good when finished. I got all the other cars from the show.

Another hobby that has died is electronics kits and building. It's also become a niche hobby and I still have some of the old circuit boards I made from the past, and one portable AM radio in a case that I made back in 1982. Still functions. That was an Archerkit from Tandy.