Things you noticed in TNG HD that you didn't in SD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Infern0, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll start, Rikers few stray grey beard hairs.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The people we can see walking around inside the observation lounge during the title credits, just before the ship jumps to warp at the end. It's there in SD, but I never noticed it until the sharper definition of HD made it clearer.

Spectre Of The Fun and DonIago like this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paint streaks behind the captain's chair.

BillJ and Lance like this.
  4. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

The cardboard squares on the aft bridge stations.
    Plastic props such as phasers and tricorders looking pretty beat up in closeups.

Lance likes this.
  5. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Picard's phaser in Yesterday's Enterprise.

Lance likes this.
  6. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Picard beams down to Dytallix B at the start of "Conspiracy" for the clandestine, red-lit meeting, I never noticed there was some sort of pool of liquid at the base of that quarry space. I loved seeing that for the first time in the HD version (maybe it wasn't actually there in SD? but nevertheless)

I also like whenever you can see how obviously the labeling on the medkits is just a sticker, usually one that hasn't even been applied that well.

BillJ, Armus and Lance like this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

The little yellow lights on the port and starboard bridge panels are actually LCARS controls with little labels on them.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

HD was the first time I noticed ENTERPRISE printed on the neck right next to the photon torpedo tube.

Not really something I noticed, but Deanna's dream in Night Terrors looks a hell of a lot more impressive in HD than it ever did in SD.

Armus and BillJ like this.
  9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Looks like the streaming services are finally getting the HD versions Hulu I notice have them now

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

There are lots of paint streaks that are noticeable throughout the sets.

11. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the main thing I've noticed in HD is brilliant acting, in the sense that all these sets and aliens in reality looked so much faker than they did to young me, enraptured in front of some fuzzy antenna transmission on a tiny bedroom TV.

So I have become much more impressed with the casts ability to fully commit to the reality of all this budget sci-fi ridiculousness. I really would have had trouble reigning in the giggles!

Farscape One and BillJ like this.
  12. F. King Daniel

Those I could always see in SD.

Qonundrum likes this.
  13. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you think the TNG actors had to be legendary to ignore cheap sets, I can only imagine what you think of the Babylon 5 cast. Because that show looks cheap on 320p, heavily compressed, pirated streams from the early 2000's.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  14. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Red Shirt

The shabbiness/dirtiness of the carpet, and the rails for the slide-out seats at the aft stations.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I had noticed that on the DVD’s, but because of the generational loss from the composite video editing, it was nothing more than a smudge—-I though it was a row of windows.

16. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The color gamut is exceptionally wider in HD. Silks and sheens are genuinely luxurious, the way that they were intended. No upscaling or gamut-shifting algorithm to artificially expand can improve on the native detail, though algorithms can enhance existing detail - but not to genuinely add to it, hence the preference of having the best quality source when possible.

And, of course, Deanna's headgear from season 1. Eyepoppingly gorgeous depth of hue and in a visual medium, even I have to concede that good visuals help. Even "Code of Honor" is less unwatchable thanks to the wider gamut that reveal so many fantastic costumes. Everyone and everything looks so much more alive and living compared to the original "NTSC video desaturated tones that are better represented in a graveyard" look. And given how beige the sets were, every extra bit of hue helps that much more in placing emphasis where it's needed. (But I still prefer the fad of 1978-80 with steel gray sets everywhere, it's more militaristic and less "that episode from Futurama with that neutral planet that nobody has any opinions on".)

HD also brought out the sheer lack of NTSC SMPTE color bar ghosting, which was at its worst in one or two f/x scenes in "The Arsenal of Freedom". Limitation of the editing equipment at the time combined with signal leaking, probably from poor-shielded cables or a technician left a metal cover open somewhere... wasn't there at the time but it's fun to guess. They did a heck of a lot with what was available at the time, so I don't want to imply what they had was rubbish when it absolutely wasn't.

HD revealed a moving ocean in that office in "Haven" - it's not the biggest window and the waves are such detailed yet minute detail that SD would show the rudimentary structure at best. In HD, it stands out beautifully and adds much to the scene even though it's a small detail (pun not intended). The DVD's encoding may have rendered the ocean view static to save on size limitations, and I don't remember the episode from 1987 regarding seeing ocean waves or anything. Assuming it wasn't one of those little treats the remastering team put in, of course. Either way, that bit popped out at me very quickly as well and HD really does help a lot in so many subtle ways, and the occasional big ways as mentioned.

HD also showed how cool the practical effects really were for those that were filmed and edited in. Eminently creative...

Issues like the 6' model damage, interior set joins, paint streaks, or bucklings, are also visible or stand out more than SD. I don't say that in any bad way, HD brings out so much in so many ways and it's enjoyable to see EVERY nuance. For a TV show of the era, they took a TON of time in being careful overall and especially for interiors. Actually, all shows will have all sorts of nuances no matter how much effort it put in. The fact they put in as much effort is genuinely fantastic. I still remember 60s Trek's big red bridge doors and even in SD you could see the paint streaks from some angles, which goes to show how much more time and care went into newer productions. Doesn't mean I dislike TOS as a result, it still looks more authentic as a ship interior than the bleach white Kelvin ships or whatever-that-is video arcade ensemble in STD.

17. F. King Daniel

I'm pretty sure details like the moving ocean in "Haven" were added for the Bluray release.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Originally all the effects shot elements were on actual film, but they were composited on Betacam SP (I'm talking the professional Broadcast version of Betacam here that) for the majority of TNG's run, because in the end, it was all only for standard definition TV broadcast.

IE - I'm pretty sure the majority of the effects were redone/re-composited digitally for the HD release of TNG and therefore aren't the original shots from the TNG Betacam episode Masters.

Spectre Of The Fun likes this.
  19. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Generally speaking the biggest standout to me in HD is the amazing quality of all of the physical models. I watched "Reunion" the other day which was the debut of the Klingon Attack Cruiser and it looks incredible.

Search4 and Spectre Of The Fun like this.
  20. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched The Schizoid Man in honour of W. Morgan Sheppard and never noticed before that there's a really goofy robot with a silly grin sat behind Graves and Data when they first meet. Looks like it was grabbed from stock and it's a lovely visual gag: Graves is claiming that he taught Soong everything he knew whilst his effort looks like it escaped from Metal Mickey.

Spectre Of The Fun likes this.