Spoilers Things from the litverse that were canonized in Picard

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Unimatrix Q, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

Started this thread for collecting and discussing things from the Litverse that become canon in the new show.

Found something in "Remembrance":
    Seems like Paris in the show is a museum city just like in the Litverse.

The Paris seen in "Remembrance" reminded me a lot of that depicted in the Garak story in the DS9 anthology "Prophecy and Change"...

Anything else?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they just recreated the version from TNG "We'll Always Have Paris" in 3D.

Lord knows what happened there between Discovery "Will You Take My Hand" and TNG. Yikes:lol:

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  3. Unimatrix Q

Yeah, the skyline reminded me a lot on "We'll Always Have Paris", too. Which i actually found a lot more aesthetically pleasing than what we saw of Paris in DS9 during the Homefront/Paradise Lost twoparter.

I was talking about the street scene with the old buildings. It reminded me a lot of the above mentioned novella, which was actually written by Andrew Robinson iirc ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing in the episode says tha - that is fanon from that thread.

Masiral, Greg Cox and Brefugee like this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not following. :confused:

6. Unimatrix Q

From "The Calling" (the story i mentioned above):

"From my narrow seat behind the driver I watched-this strange world pass by; a motley collection of old stone buildings and modern designs of floating glass and metal. Streets, or boulevards, straight and seemingly organized according to a rational plan, suddenly broke off into branches of directional chaos (that word again). Even the smallest rues were crowded with people, some of whom were walking four-legged beasts that left their urine and feces for others to step in. Yet somehow, the slanting sunlight of the late afternoon, a filtered and roseate hue I had never seen before, cleansed the city of its filth, and these seemingly disparate and dissonant elements came together in a way that both attracted and saddened me, and awakened in me a mysterious yearning for something or someone. I could sense Mila discreetly watching me.
    “It’s not the same as you remember it?” she asked.
    “Yes. For the most part,” I answered. “I’m always surprised at how different it is from ... other places.”
    “The Americans and the Germans think we’re recalcitrant. They call Paris the ‘museum city’ because we won’t make the changes they’ve made in their cities.” She was looking out the window.
    “But they keep coming here, don’t they?” the driver snorted. “And do you know why?” He was looking directly at me.
    “Uh ... because they like a museum?” I ventured.
    “Au contraire, monsieur!” he snorted again. “The Americans and Germans live in sterile boxes, but they don’t want to forget what real life is like. So they come and eat our real food and walk our real streets with their guidebooks and begin to feel real feelings again. They remember what it is to be a human being.
    Why do you think the Federation chose us to build their headquarters?”
    “Uh ... because they want to be in a real city?”
    “Voila!”I passed his test and he went back to his “driving.” Mila continued to look out the window with a faint smile. It was clear that I was being introduced to a part of Earth, a diehard culture that wasn’t featured in Federation propaganda. I vaguely remembered something Julian had said about the French being “different.” "

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing I’ve seen so far.

ryan123450 likes this.
  8. Unimatrix Q

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Today's episode "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 1" canonized ka'athyra as the name for the Vulcan lyre, as coined by Margaret Wander Bonanno in Dwellers in the Crucible in 1985.

There's also a plot element that could be taken as compatible with a major story element of TNG: Immortal Coil:
    An intergalactic secret society of synth life cooperating for mutual benefit and protection. The one here is rather more militant than the one in the novel, but perhaps they could be related in some way.

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I must admit that when the ka'athyra was mentioned, I squeed.

11. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Quoting my post from another thread:

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I was also thinking some inspiration re
    Data's origins from suggestions by David Gerrold's novelization, "Encounter at Farpoint", despite the episodes "Datalore" and "Inheritance" skirting most of it.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  13. Christopher

If you mean the bit about Data being built by aliens, that's from the original series bible as well (and borrowed from The Questor Tapes). And I think this week's episode pretty clearly rules out any such thing. Data's origin is the same as it ever was. The androids on Coppelius are just a small colony of his "offspring," not some long-hidden secret race of ancient AIs or whatever people have been speculating this week.

14. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holoconferencing between Picard and Clancy in "Broken Pieces". That was previously used in "Demons of Air and Darkness"
    Discovery did holographic transmissions, but this is the first time we've seen it used in a holographic environment.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  15. Christopher

Which was expanding on the holocommunicator idea used briefly in Deep Space Nine. And of course it's an idea going back much further in science fiction (it was used in Roddenberry's ST:TMP novelization, for one thing). So I don't think it qualifies as a concept specific to the novels.

Indeed, The Making of Star Trek in 1968 posited that the Enterprise's recreation deck contained holographic chambers where one could view immersive movies or recorded "letters" from home as lifelike 3D projections, though it didn't allow for live communication.

16. Therin of Andor

Yep.
    My first TNG fanfic, way back in 1987, involved the alien source of Data's distinctive golden complexion. It was fun to see some more golden androids and eyes. Also fun to see female golden androids - I recall the original premise for Lore was a female version of Data, who was a 24th century Red Adair!

17. Therin of Andor

And the three-sided conference room tabletop device, as seen in TOS and TAS, was called a "tri-dee viewer" in the "Star Trek Log" TAS adaptations, IIRC - which I always interpreted as being a 3D image even if the aired episodes only showed us a 2D image.

18. Unimatrix Q

Would have loved to read something about Picard on Romulus in "The Last Best Hope". I really don't understand why there wasn't anything about this in the novel :shrug: Maybe a conversation between Jean Luc and Tenquem Adrev

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  19. Christopher

Perhaps they were saving it for the show. Perhaps it hadn't been scripted yet. Perhaps there just wasn't room for it in the novel's narrative.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I never expected the name for the Vulcan Lute would ever be mentioned.

Unimatrix Q likes this.