Things about the NX-01 you are curious about?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by AstroSmurf, Aug 18, 2009.

1. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't posted a thread here in a while (Even though I am always lurking here!) but I was wanting to know if any of you were curious about parts/areas of the NX-01 we never got to see on the show.

I am obsessed with this ship and over the years my own objectivity has been clouded by my own fixation of certain parts. I thought it would be nice to open up the floor and get a few different view points to what other fans were curious about.

For me it was the "back porch" or the docking/work are on the back of the saucer. I have sat for hours going over some of the large renders trying to work out what things were for and how they worked.

Anyone else... for old times sake? (I need to get in the mood again so humor me. :bolian:)

2. james51453

james51453 Cadet Newbie

3. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

The NX-01 kind of grew on me. At first I didn't like it and thought it was "too advanced" for the time period but as the show went on I really started liking it.

I think we saw more of the NX-01 than we did of the original TOS Enterprise, we even had a episode inside the warp nacelles. I don't think there is much left to see besides more crew quarters.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were several locations within the NX-01 that could've been excellent locations for drama... though building new sets is usually prohibitive if it only features once in the show. Feature films have a larger budget to build sets that are only seen onscreen for mere minutes.

The Observation Dome, looking back out into space with the nacelles on either side. This is as close as I can get to what I'm talking about. It's the lamp-like structure dead centre, towards the back.

[​IMG]

That window in Shuttlepod retreival/ops comes to mind too. Presumably a deck below the place Archer scrambled to safely be, when Silik dived out.

[​IMG]

Drex Files is indispensible here, without which I couldn't even begin to illustrate what I'm talking about. I love your site too AstroSmurf! That's another of my favourite bookmarks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  5. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have loved to have seen the whole cargo facility, with the multi-level cargo bays with the deployable robot arm.

6. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

I would love to see the plasma cannons. Not just where they are stored, but also the cannons themselves, like we got to see with the phase cannons.

Also, knowing where the "sweet spot" is would be neat. I can't remember the exact description of where it was, but I think it had something to do with "between the warp reactor and the bow plating", or something like that. And I wonder what the inside of the Symmetrical Warp Field Governor contained too. It had an airlock on the back (which appeared to double as a torpedo tube...and a phase canon port...), so it seems to be crew-accessible. For the longest time I thought Engineering was in there. Silly me. :D

And I'm on a streak, I've also wondered how exactly the torpedo loading mechanism works. I know there's a torpedo magazine somewhere near the armory, but how do they get from the wall mounts to the tubes?

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd assume the torpedoes would travel underfloor, and pop up through those exposed ramp things for a final check and possible priming, then slide forward.

As for the aft pod "multipurpose" thingamabob, I guess all the round openings on the ship were generic "equipment ports" of some sort. There'd be very little need for personnel traffic into the aft pod, so the round opening there would cover some piece of equipment - a plasma cannon, a phase cannon, a photon torpedo launcher, whatever was needed.

However, the screencaps from "The Expanse" look to me as if the aft photon torpedo launcher fired from underneath the round hatch, not through it. Granted that there's no feature for such a launcher in the CGI model, but this would sort of preserve continuity better: the round openings would then be for phase cannon and plasma cannon only, while the simple holes at saucer forward and aft bottom would be for spatial torps, and the forward photons would fire through the (possibly significantly reconfigured inner) spatial torp tubes but the aft ones would require an all-new tube so as not to require the reconfiguring of either of the spatial torp tubes so that it could no longer fire spatial torps.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hoshi's quarters.:shifty:

9. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm obsessed with T'Pol's excercise bike.

Not the whole thing: just the seat.

Anyone have any photos? Scratch-and-sniff?

Joe, warping

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Back to the mining ship Red Dwarf with yer.

I'm pretty sure that's one of those forbidden Space Corp Directives only Kryton knows the exact numbers for. :lol:

11. TheOriginalGuru

TheOriginalGuru Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Is there any "cut away" diagrams of the NX-01? I would have liked to have seen where various things are on the ship...Sickbay, the Captains Quarters, the Armoury. Things like that.

EDIT: Never mind...I should just check out Drex files like a good little boy! :-P

12. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

You can always check out my cutaway too. :bolian: It's based on the original one from the show.

13. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

^Damn good one too. :techman:

14. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Want to replace that seat with your face, eh? :evil: -- RR

15. Treknut

Treknut Captain Captain

Wow a really nice site - lots of great schematics, its a treat to take a tour through the NX-01.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a real problem with the size of her, about two-thirds as long as the prime Enterprise. But I got to thinking, the NX-01 was designed as a show piece, to wave earths' flag, to engage in diplomacy and trade relations, not just exploration.

17. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ Plus with no replicators, they'd need space to store supplies, or maybe even greenhouses..

18. Lady Conqueror

Lady Conqueror Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't they show that in Fallen Hero? I'm pretty sure Ambassador V'lar was moved into them for her stay. ;)

19. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Well it did look like the saucer is only just about the same thickness at best as the Constitution (I think less, it was only 7 decks right?) and it doesn't have the large secondary hull and neck joining the two hulls, so it's got a lot less hull volume in any case.

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not that much less, I'd say. The saucer isn't concave but has "full volume", and the missing lower bulge is being compensated for by the big dorsal bulges of the engine booms.

Perhaps this is the minimum size for a viable deep space exploration and exploitation starship? There's no real reason to insist that Archer's ship should have been smaller than Kirk's.

It would be interesting to learn how that volume was allocated for crew, stores and machinery. I really, really dig AstroSmurf's take on it - but all the (unseen) laboratory and crew space on those deck plans suggests that the 80-strong crew was but a skeleton crew, and that the ship was designed to operate with a much larger contingent if sent on a proper, preplanned exploration mission.

Kirk's saucer was probably less packed with machinery; the big gadgets, thingamabobs and whachamacallems would mostly have been in the secondary hull. So Archer's saucer could plausibly have room for a much smaller crew than Kirk's 430. I'd still argue for something like 150 crew on the NX-01, though.

Timo Saloniemi