These Haunted Seas and Myriad Universes

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jeff Ayers, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jeff Ayers

Jeff Ayers Writer Red Shirt

Hi Everyone,

Check out the cover of These Haunted Seas . It is an omnibus edition of the first two Mission: Gamma books-Twilight by David R. George III and This Gray Spirit by Heather Jarman.

STAR TREK MYRIAD UNIVERSES: INFINITY'S PRISM (July) will feature three short novels by:

- Christopher L. Bennett (TNG: The Buried Age; Titan: Orion's Hounds; and the upcoming TNG: Greater Than the Sum)

- William Leisner ("Ambition" from TOS: Constellations; SCE: Out of the Cocoon; and the upcoming Slings and Arrows: The Insolence of Office)

- James Swallow ("Closure" from VGR: Distant Shores; "Ordinary Days" from TNG: The Sky¹s the Limit; and the upcoming Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers)

STAR TREK MYRIAD UNIVERSES: ECHOES AND REFRACTIONS (August) will feature three short novels by:

- Keith R.A. DeCandido (TNG: Q&A; The Mirror-Scaled Serpent from Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances; and the upcoming Klingon Empire: A Burning House)

- Chris Roberson ("The End of Now" from Doctor Who Short Trips: Destination Prague; X-Men: The Return; and Here, There & Everywhere)

- Geoff Trowbridge ("Suicide Note" from TNG: The Sky¹s the Limit)

Finally, I'm now on MYSPACE. Come be a friend at My Space

2. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great cover and info! Thank you, Jeff.

One question: I don't remember Ben Sisko playing a role in the first two Mission: Gamma books. Is he on the cover just to spur sales, or is there some other connection I'm overlooking or forgetting?

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

^ He's the one haunting the seas... ;)

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The connection is that everyone on that cover is gone from the world. Sisko, Winn, Ziyal, Jadzia, Dukat, Thriss, and Prynn's mother (I think that's the last person). Absolutely gorgeous cover.

Can the authors of the Myriad Universes stories tell us what their story will be about?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ahh, okay, so my Myriad Universes contribution will be in the July installment. If it had been August, I would've had two books coming out in the same month. Anyway, I'll have a lot to talk about at Shore Leave next year....

As for telling what it's about, I don't know if I can do that yet.

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

It's too soon for me to talk about my MU contribution, but you can rest assured that it'll probably suck.

Uh, be great! I meant it'll be great! Honest!

;)

7. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

ooo... nice spiffy new cover art. very pretty. :)

8. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good call, EMH! I admit that I didn't look at who the other characters were before I asked my question.

9. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spooky yet beautiful cover.

10. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

That cover is gorgeous.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Poo, I figured that was the case (that you couldn't talk, not that your book would suck, which it won't!), but I had to try. :p

I admit I was a bit confused at first, too, but then I began noticing the other people in the cover and then it all made sense.

12. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

About 50,000 words.

Thank you, and please tip your waitresses.

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm gonna plump for that being Ruriko. Also, isn't that Talas from ENT that they're using for an image of Thriss? And while it may be a nice theme for the pics, and a gorgeous cover, few of the characters there have much of an impact on the stories included, to my mind.

And I still find it difficult to believe that there wasn't room to fit all four books in at once, so that it could just be called Mission Gamma. I mean, I know Twilight was immense, and This Gray Spirit not much smaller, but Cathedral was normal length and Lesser Evil was shorter than usual, so I would have thought it balanced out. And Twist of Faith managed four novels plus a short story. Is Twilight really that huge?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

These aren't mirror universe stories, are they?

15. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

No, these are "What if...?" stories, showing alternate histories seperate from the Mirror U.

16. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

I think Twilight was about the size of two novels. it was 500 pages at (probably) 9 point font size.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think it's cool whenever we get to see an image of a previously unseen character. In fact, the only thing keeping me from adding the images to Memory Beta, is some sort of official confirmation. It's a shame Marco doesn't frequent these parts anymore...

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think MU was supposed to be Myriad Universes. It took me a second too, then I realized that Myriad also started with a M.

19. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Beautiful cover and title for These Haunted Seas. Is it a quote from somewhere?

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe we should call it MyU.